Custom Rehearsal Marks

Is there any way of changing the content of rehearsal marks? I would like them to say “Verse 1” etc instead of “A” or at least be able to have reappearing sections (AABA). Of course I could do that with the normal “text” tool, but then I have to enter it for every system wich is annoying and looks bad in the full score.

1 Like

You could use system text (new feature in 1.1) : alt + shift + x or Create System Text in Write menu. You write whatever you want and it is linked to the systems (like tempo markings).

Thanks!

I have the same question. I’d love to indicate V1 and C1 for example, but have it look and act like a rehearsal mark. I’d also love to create a custom category within System Text for my custom rehearsal mark. Could someone advise me on how to accomplish this? Thanks!

It’s easy to modify your rehearsal marks. In the Properties panel, set the index of your rehearsal mark to 3. That’ll give you a C. Then add 1 as a suffix.

It’s too late at night for the math, but some index number in the 20’s would give you a V!

These are workarounds, admittedly, until functionality is expanded in the future. You can’t yet create custom categories. I don’t like the look of boxed system text—I much prefer the native rehearsal marks. They’re quite elegant, and worth the extra work to tweak, IMO.

I’ve actually started using both sequential letters and a suffix: A-V1, B-Chorus1, C-Bridge, etc. I find my orchestral musicians benefit from the sequential letters, and my band guys like the descriptors in the suffix.

1 Like

Thank for the reply and the tip, Dan. I was able to get a C and a V (22). But what about Break or Solo or Coda or the very British Middle 8? Can’t wait to get that functionality.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re asking for… set whatever initial letter you want, by changing the index. B is 2, S is 19…

That’s your best option at this point I think. I’m looking forward to custom rehearsal marks as well.

MMoston, you set the index to the first letter of the word you want (22 for V), then you flick the Suffix switch and type erse 1 into the box. That gives you Verse 1.

Ah! I get it. This is great. Thank you guys so much.

erse! :laughing:

I like this! (Y)

Ok, I just ran across this thread while looking for the same solution - I love it! V+erse! Too cute!

Anyone remember the old Sesame Street (Electric Company) bit where one person would say “ch” and the other would say “ew” and they both would say “chew”? It reminds me of that.

Anyway,

Jim

Fantastic workaround!
This means I can even get Roman Numerals as Rehearsal Marks.
Letter I plus Suffix I / II / V / X
Letter V plus Suffix I / II / III
Letter X plus Suffix I / II / III

and so on…

Dan: many thanks for pointing out the right method so clearly.
Before, I’d been trying to catch up with what has been described in the online help pages (in English and German, Dorico Pro 3.0.x), as well as in both PDF manuals (same version, whereas I’m using Dorico Pro 3.5.10).

Since in Jazz arrangements I frequently use part strutures like “A1”, “A2”, “B1”, “B2”, etc., I was not really getting things right, unless I found your practical hint at the “alphabetic letter position ~ digit” relationship.

Everything works, and all can be done really fast!

Best Regards

In Dorico 3.5, you can now also create paragraph styles that have a border automatically (in Engrave>Paragraph Styles). If you save styles as default, you can then set a custom key command to add staff or system text with a specific paragraph style already selected. This is another way you might input headers for parts of a structure quite easily.

Lilly: thanks for this very interesting remark, I’ll try and remember that style text & key shortcut thing. I’m really amazed at how much music-related (human) intelligence lives within Dorico. To me, there is some learning curve, though, since sometimes not every method detail seems to be as obvious as one might expect it, if coming from much older editing concepts. When I started out writing music at a computer around 1993, it was by using an ATARI ST and Emagic Notator SL. But everything’s there AND it always looks great - in Dorico!