Dorico 5 crashes when opening Dorico 4.3 files

Hi. I just updated to Dorico 5 from Dorico 4.3. I am trying to open the last file I was working on (D4.3) in D5, and it crashes. I get the message “The file was created in an old version 4.3. It will be updated automatically” and immediately after I click OK it crashed. Left foot start. I hope you fix this soon.
elevator pitch V14_solo-cello.dorico (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

If you could attach the file here (or a cut-down version that has the same problem) then we could take a look.

Are you using a Mac? I had a similar problem that required uninstalling everything (including previous versions of Dorico), cleaning out Steinberg’s Application Support folder (in the user library), and then reinstalling Dorico 5. That fixed everything for me.

I just uploaded the file. I did a cut-out of the first page that was successfully opened in Dorico 5, but the full project keeps crashing. FYI I have added many custom instrumental techniques -some are SVG graphics-, lines, and clefs. Maybe this is messing things up? I hope you can figure it out and let me know.
Thanks!

I hope I don’t need to do this since I have added many customizations I wouldn’t want to lose by uninstalling. I will keep it in mind as the worst-case scenario.

I’m having the same problem with one of the files I’m currently working on. So for now I will continue to use 4.3.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, @Juan_Vassallo. I think this is the same problem that is discussed here, and which we will fix as soon as possible.

1 Like

Dorico 5 crashes and closes when I try to open this file:
Gorwelion Aur.dorico (867.4 KB)
If I try again, I get the crash report screen:
crash report which I duly passed on to Steinberg.
And I was really looking forward to using v5!
There is one issue which might be related: for some time now (with v4) I’ve routinely had to head to the Task Manager to end the process for the VST audio engine in order to be able to open Dorico at all. This never used to happen, and I can’t figure out what started it. It may be connected with the fact that I experimented a few weeks ago with using a VST which wasn’t my default NotePerformer, couldn’t understand how to use it (or indeed any non-NP VSTs), and have used only NP since. Could that be a possible connection to a) my need to close the audio engine manually each session, and b) the crashing of v5 when opening the attached file?

1 Like

Yup, here too. I bet it’s the same problem as with the Stravinskij files.

Jesper

Yes, I’m certain this is the case: we will do our best to get a fix for this problem out to you as soon as possible.

Regarding the VST audio engine not quitting cleanly when you close Dorico, please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here so that @Ulf can take a look.

1 Like

Dorico states that the project will be converted to the new version of Dorico from the 4.3 and then crashes…

This sounds like the bug also reported e.g. here Dorico 5 crashes when opening Dorico 4.3 files - #10 by dspreadbury We hope to have a bugfix release out soon. For the time being, a workaround is to set the file to use the “Silence” playback template in Dorico 4 - this should allow the file to be opened in Dorico 5, though obviously it isn’t ideal.

2 Likes

That is a known problem and a fix will arrive at some point.
You could open it in Dorico 4 and save it with the Silent playback template, then try again.

Jesper

An older file from Dorico 3.5+4 crashes Dorico 5 every time I try to open it.
Is this related to any other bugs already on the mend?

Dorico 5 crashes when I open this project made with Dorico 4. It stops at 84%. Then, when restarting Dorico 5, I’m prompted to send the crash log file.
Symphonie scandinave.dorico (3.7 MB)

Experiencing the same thing with some of my older projects. Did you create any custom instruments before trying to open older projects? I’m wondering if it’s linked to that, because the first project I tried to open worked just fine and I started getting the crashes after creating some custom instruments.

The crash that people have reported here is mostly caused by a problem when calculating the playback in the presence of long grace note runs. I believe that is what is happening here. We hope to bring out a fix soon, but a workaround for the time being is to set the playback configuration to “Silence” in v4 - that will enable it to be opened in v5.

No, I didn’t do anything. Just tried to open my current project…

Thanks Richard. I think that I’m going to finish my project in D4 :wink:

1 Like

Dorico 5 crashes when I open this project made with Dorico 4. It stops at 84%. Then, when restarting Dorico 5, I’m prompted to send the crash log file.
Symphonie scandinave.dorico (3.7 MB)