I have just completed the note input phase of an orchestral work.
It is more than 630 bars in length for an orchestra of 34 player / section staves before Divisi.
The majority of note input was done on Dorico for iPad.
The proof reading and condensing phase is now underway, mostly on the desktop.
TL;DR: quite brilliant.
Performance and reliability
Both Dorico 3.5 (Desktop) and Dorico for iPad have been remarkably stable. There have been a few crashes but with no loss of work to speak of, so auto save on both platforms works when needed. On such a big project (the project file is greater than 3MB) there are noticeable periods of unresponsiveness on the iPad when auto saving, but since the program has kept all my work intact over six weeks of working on a single file, I put that down as a plus. (Yes, I have made manual and Time Machine backups continuously, but unnecessarily as it turned out).
Any changes whilst looking at a condensed page of the complete project could take around 45 seconds on my 2014 Mac Mini so clearly all major editing work is done without the Edit > Condensing option ON and I can’t wait until I can afford an M1 Mac next year! But regular editing with the Edit > Condensing option OFF is absolutely fine even on the slower processor.
I suppose I could break the project up onto smaller chunks, but I haven’t done that yet as proofreading is quite a slow process anyway.
My iPad has a faster processor than my Mac Mini
Both on iPad and Desktop, crashes or stalls occurred on several occasions when dragging linked dynamics back and forth, so it was very difficult to come up with repeatable diagnostic files and scenarios with which to make a useful report to the developers.
Response from the Dorico team and community
Absolutely first class. Through the forum, they have patiently answered my questions and considered my suggestions and accepted the one or two bug reports I have made as issues on the forum.
I have only identified a couple of genuine bugs in Dorico for iPad - concerning editing very long notes; a dialog with a numeric field that wouldn’t accept input; erroneous feedback when assigning key commands. In other words: specific to the new platform and probably the
Qt framework. Considering this is a first release, and the size of my project, this has been a very good experience.
There are one or two features missing, and probably one or two existing features I have missed.
Missing (or missed) features
These are feature request for both platforms which I have raised in separate posts.