Dorico Ipad MidiGuitar2

Dorico for Ipad, anybody using MidiGuitar2 as input device? Still not working for me.

Welcome to the forum, @benolamusik. I’m not familiar with MidiGuitar2 – is that an app or a physical interface that allows you to connect your MIDI guitar to the iPad, or something else?

It is a vst, software only and requires an audio input which it then fft’s and converts to Midi. It is Optimized for receiving guitar audio as its input.

It runs both as vst and standalone. Because it requires the audio inputs, you can open it inside Dorico but it doesn’t work at least on a PC or Mac.

What I have done is run it standalone (so it is managing its own audio input) and then I send the midi to Dorico via a loop back midi driver of some kind.

On PC or Mac, it can be fairly useful for entering guitar parts into Dorico. I have no idea if you could do that with an IPad but I have doubts.

Hi Daniel,
I had discussed about the opportunity of having integrated Audio to MIDI controller inside Dorico.
Even, if I remember correctly, you were also involved in the topic of mine about it?!

Here is another topic about the MIDI Guitar where you were involved, too:

This is MIDI Guitar 2:
https://www.jamorigin.com/

Actually there are another two products by Jam Origin - MIDI Bass and MIDI Violin (this is still in developing status and still unavailable for purchase)

Would be really nice to have ability to use not only MIDI Keyboard, but acoustic and electric instruments, or our voice in order to record monophonic melodies, or polyphonic (harmony, counterpoint) material as well. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

I feel like I may have given the wrong impression. When I said “fairly useful” I maybe should have said “meh” - I was searching for the fairest term. It has some interesting capabilities, but IMO is not great for this. Consider just the case of ringing strings for example on note duration - Don’t expect to easily play a song and get good notation results, quantized and gated or not.

Hi @gdball,
Actually MIDI Guitar 2 is a very good piece of software. I’m having it and using it in Cubase.
If you spend time playing with it and doing some tweaks, you could get impressive results at the end.
Of course, in order to get the most out of it you need be above the average level guitar player.
Still there is space for improvement in the MIDI Guitar, no doubt.
The teams at Steinberg could come up with even better solution that could be integrated as native inside Dorico, Cubase, Nuendo and VST Live. :slight_smile:
Would be great to have an advanced Audio Mic/Instrument Input to MIDI converter integrated in all those applications! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

I’m not saying it’s bad either - but I’ve found the notation requirements different from the DAW. In the DAW, like a live player, the exact end of a note doesn’t matter as much.

For notation though, You can be thinking and playing eighth notes, quarter notes or whatever, but we know the strings ring out and the actual duration is more indefinite. Unless you stop them.

I’ve played with its gate/threshold, but I find setting it for a specific note duration problematic - and obviously there is more than one note duration in a piece of music. Again, no problem with DAW type audio but you get ugly notated durations with unintended overlaps and it doesn’t matter how well you play in that regard. A wound string doesn’t ring quite like a solid one, the duration tends to be affected by volume/player expression, etc.

I give the Steinberg team all the credit it the world, but I’m not sure I could expect it to notate what was in the mind versus what was heard :smiley:

Thanks for pointing me at the Jam Origin web site. It looks as if MIDI Guitar 2 is not available for iPadOS, so it certainly won’t be possible to use it as an input device with Dorico for iPad.

I actually received feedback by Jam Origin one day about MIDI Guitar 2 not really being meant for notation software, since I used to entertain the same notion about using it with Dorico. FWIW, they hinted at a possible version better suited for this in the future though…

B.

How does it handle chords and polyphony (if at all)?