EUCON Update!

@noeqplease thanks for your reply.
I’m on PC, AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, Windows 10 Enterprise v 1909, Eucontrol version 2021.6.1.7, Eucon version 4.7.9.7, Nuendo 11.0.41, Avid S1

Unfortunately, using FadePort and the S1 in parallel doesn’t make any difference. FaderPort runs via Midi.

Nuendo regocnizes the nudge and bank commands via the small indicator, but doesn’t react to it…

@noeqplease also tried it on a Macbook with the old MC Mix…
unfortunately also unlucky. As you can see, Nuendo recognizes the commands by moving the indicator but doesn’t follow nudging or banking by scrolling - same like on my PC system with the S1. It only jumps to the selected track (see end of the video).

1 Like

That’s not an S1. That is an Artist Mix. 1st gen. I had one, but upgraded to newer ones, with black instead of silver, since I bought a Control and another fader bank which were black.

Hard to troubleshoot when things are different each time.

Is it’s firmware up to date?

This is just old / backup gear (but all up to date) and I just tried it because you are on Mac too and using an Artist Mix. In the Studio I’m working on PC with an Avid S1. But as I said it neither works on PC with the S1 (and the MC Mix) nor on Mac with the MC Mix (and S1).

But in the end it should not make any difference… Nuendo, Firmware and EuCon / EuControl versions are all the latest. So I’m curious why it works on your system.

Hi chednb,

I am not using an Artist Mix, but an Artist CONTROL. With the latest firmware. I’ll post details later with the video.

In fact, your Nuendo on the PC is version 10. See screenshot below. Not at all the same as what I have here. Perhaps that is an issue. Steinberg updated Eucon protocol in version 11. Regardless, I’ll post a video and again my exact settings, hardware, etc. for you. If you still have problems, it will be because in fact you are indeed using a different version of Nuendo. That is most likely the problem.

Cheers

sorry, this was just a misspelling! Just corrected the old posts.

As I wrote, everything is up-to-date, Nuendo 11.0.41, EuControl, Firmware, etc. …
thanks, I’m really looking forward to your video.

1 Like

LOL well it does not do it now for the video.

I think I might have been using another DAW at the time. I apologize for being doggedly insistent that it worked on my system.

It only jumps to the track when a track is selected. I did try to change all sorts of settings on the EuCon settings, and on the Nuendo preferences.

It would be nice to have this feature, where the edit window and mix window scroll along with a controller, without having to select a track.

Sorry. As you were.

1 Like

Good news,
things are changing for the better!
Since the last EuControl update from Avid, plugins are now being closed in Nuendo too when closing them via the controller! So there are literally two “big” issues left, to use Avid controllers and Steinberg software in a professional way

1. Nuendo doesn’t follow scrolling in the Avid control app / nudging or banking on the Avid controller
  2. selecting tracks via touching the faders causes the fader position jumping to -0.06dB (using an Avid S1) - fader calibration in general!

We are getting closer!
@TimoWildenhain @Matthias_Quellmann can we expect fixes for these remaining issues in the near future (next maintenance update or Nuendo 12)? That would be awesome, thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I have tested and can confirm this issue (N 11.0.41), all latest versions of EuControl, Avid Control App, S1 Firmware. So these are the actual issues

1. Nuendo doesn’t follow scrolling in the Avid control app / nudging or banking on the Avid controller
  2. selecting tracks via touching the faders causes the fader position jumping to -0.06dB (using an Avid S1) - fader calibration in general!
  3. bypassing EQ/DYN button “IN” (channel view) in avid controll app doesn’t work in Nuendo
1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t find any information about Eucon bug fixes in the Cubase 12 release notes…

@TimoWildenhain any information on further improving Eucon?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello everyone,

as @chednb asked me to, here is another bug for Eucon S1 working in Nuendo 12 :

Hi there, I got an issue with my EUCON S1 controller with Nuendo 12 (I guess the same problem would happen in Cubase Pro as well). I’ve set some softkeys in the EUCON app softkeys menu, everything work fine for a time (a few minutes generally) and then none of the softkeys work anymore until I restart my entire session. The controller keeps working (faders, button, etc), everything but the SOFTKEYS… If anybody has an idea ?

Update :
BTW, I found that if you go the setup panel untick the midi tracks (which are the only tracks I tick to be displayed on my S1, so when I untick them, I almost disable everything of my S1) and tick them back, a little “loading tracks” popup come, kind of S1 reboot, everything come back to normal again, including the softkeys for a time… then back to the problem, no more softkeys at all…

thanks for your post. I have never managed to get the soft keys to work (Nuendo 11, older EuCon version). Maybe I’ll give it a try when I’ve upgraded to Nuendo 12. For me the scrolling bug is stille the most annoying one.

Please Steinberg update Nuendo to work better with Eucon. There are so many things that just work so much better with Pro Tools. In Particular, the main thing I would like to see is VCA spills, and would love to see Group channel spills as well and choose where they go while holding Menu and spilling left or right or spilling to the target left or right spill. I am so torn between which is more of a pain not having the control room feature of Nuendo or not having on the console all the spill features.

The next biggest thing that would help me so much is if there were a Eucon option that you check the solo button activates the Listen button rather than solo. I use Nuendo live and this would help me tremendously.

@AdamOlson please add your post to the EUCON Update thread, as all Eucon related issues are gathered there.

Thanks

I’ve merged this with the existing Eucon topic.

1 Like

If I might add some Points concerning EUCON here…

Softkeys with EUCON “Keycommands” commands have no feedback whether they are active or not.
(for example Q-link, punch out of latch automation etc…)

Metering is strange, Ambisonics Metering doesn’t seem to work at all, 7.1.4 Channel metering neither.
The meters in the “Universe scroller” only work for the actual (in AVID Control)displayed Tracks and stop working when you bank them out of View with the bank buttons of the DOCK.

Cheers,
Dirx

1 Like

@TimoWildenhain
Is there any chance that the Eucon implementation gets improved in the following updates / versions? So all remaining bugs and issues will be sorted out one day?
Or is Steinbergs focus now fully on the MIDI Remote Editor, which is really a powerful feature, but does not replace Eucon in my opinion. Most of all in terms of controllers, where Avids S1, S4 and S6 are still top notch imho.

Would be great to get some update on this topic.

Thanks in advance and all the best

1 Like

Hi,
Is there anyone here using S4/S6 with Nuendo?
I am using Avid S4 with Nuendo and it seems that Eucon in Nuendo needs to be taken more care of.
The folder action and the visibility are not connected with S4.
I can’t use spill function on S4 like it acts in ProTools.
The direction of wheel is opposite if you scroll tracks.
Nuendo Window will not pop up if you are working with pan or want to edit your plugins.
I can’t even reset my faders to unity gain.
Control,poop,Option on S4 won’t work like you could select multiple tracks.
There are other functions are not be written in Nuendo Eucon which it really should.
Since Nuage is not on the market anymore, Shouldn’t Eucon need more upgrade?

1 Like

@chednb
Thank you for bringing that up again. We have scheduled EuCon improvements which we discuss with Avid, as the EuCon protocol is owned by Avid. They’re defined and put on the dev list, but I honestly can’t tell about a specific date at the moment.

What I can state is that we’re definitely aware of that EuCon needs more continuous support, e.g. with regular maintenance updates, especially since S1 and S4 controllers seem to be popular among Nuendo users.

Many thanks again,
Timo

5 Likes

@TimoWildenhain thanks for your reply.
I think in professional (post production) studios, Avid controllers and therefore Eucon can/still/will play a big part! Also regarding the missing support from Nuage for Apple silicon.

Please keep us updated if there are any news about further Eucon improvements.

Thanks