Explanation from Steinberg regarding lost licenses (Solved)

Would someone from Steinberg kindly tell me why the installation of HALion 6 wiped out my license for Hypersonic 2? I also want to know what, if any, plan is in place to rectify this? I believe this issue should have been clearly stated prior to installation.

Hello,

this issue affects HALion 5 as well. Matthias explained in the other thread that this is an inevitable side effect of enabling HALion 6 to run without dongle:

I assume this problem could be solved by a patch of the older products originally covered by the HALion 5 license. Regarding HALion 5, I suppose that it will be fixed with its final maintenance update. But Hypersonic is another story since it was discontinued a long time ago, so I’m not sure… Definitely a relevant question for Steinberg!

Best regards

Miloslav

Thanks for the link, valsolim. It looks like there may be a solution. As to Hypersonic 2 disappearing with the HALion 5 license, I find that curious since it worked just fine (and the Hypersonic license was visible in the eLicenser list) prior to installing H6.

Maybe as Mattias points out: “Still if you need to have HALion 5 for, lets say, your 32-bit system, please get in touch with the support team and they will provide you with an add-on HALion 5 license.”…it might be possible to get an add-on license for Hypersonic 2 as well. If I get somewhere with this, I’ll post back here.

If I get somewhere with this, I’ll post back here.

A support ticket is in. I’ll post the results of their response as soon as they get back to me.

Please do that. Losing the Hypersonic license would be ridiculous since it isn’t supported anymore and therefor should be left as it was before support was canceled. It should not be a subject to changes made by Steinberg after the support period. After all the user can’t reach out to Steinberg for a solution.

First contact today. This is how I described the issues:

_I installed the HALion 6 license onto my USB eLicenser and have found that my Hypersonic 2 and HALion 5 licenses have been purged from the device.

I have two separate issues with this policy:
\

1. I have many 32bit Projects, still in flux, that are being run in Cubase 7.5, 8 and 8.5. I need HALion 5 to complete them.
    \
  2. Similarly, I have the same issue with Projects that are using Hypersonic 2. Additionally, I purchased Sound Radix s 32Lives to run Hypersonic 2 in Cubase 9.0.10 (which it does quite well).

My question is: can you provide a pair of add-on licenses for these two products, so that I may continue to work with Cubase 7.5, 8 and 8.5 in 32 bit mode?_

This was the response:

Thank you for contacting the Steinberg US Support team. My name is Jeff and I will be assisting you with your request.
I will make this request to the team in Germany. I will be back in touch as soon as they reply.

So now I wait to see what Germany has to say about this. As a far as I’m concerned, this never should have been an issue in the first place, I get that the HALion 6 license overrides the H5 license. This has been standard practice for all Cubase upgrades. Cubase upgrades have always left the authorizations for earlier versions intact…as did earlier versions of HALion. This practice should have carried over to HALion 6…regardless of the new “dongle-less” policy. At the very least, we should have been warned prior to purchase. I find this particular bit fairly deceptive and unfair.

Removing the ability to use HALion 5 (for use in 32 bit mode) took me by surprise. But it’s the removal of Hypersonic 2 that really got my goat. There is no reason why they should remove something I paid for and continue to use along with all the other Steinberg products I’ve purchased over the years. For the record, Hypersonic 2 functioned perfectly in any Cubase version running 32 bit mode and additionally, when wrapped with Sound Radix’s 32Lives, it functioned just fine in Cubase 9 in 64 bit mode. As much as Steinberg touts that HALion and HALionSonic are the successors to Hypersonic, they don’t replace it’s unique library and interface. I want it back. I fully expect Steinberg to do the right thing. No more, no less.

Hi,

the HALion 5 Add-On license will cover HALion 5 32-bit (and 64-bit) and also Hypersonic. You won’t be able to use HAlion 5 and HALion 6 on the same system, since HALion 6 replaces the HAlion 5 plug-in. But the HALion 5 add-on license will be placed on your USB eLicenser and you can use it on a separate system. Hypersonic still be used next to your HALion 6 installation.

My apologies again for the lack of information prior to the release and the inconvenience of the add-on license. Unfortunately there is a technical barrier between the USB eLicenser and the soft eLicenser, that blocks HALion 6 from covering legacy products like HALion 5 or Hypersonic. If it would have been possible to allow the multi-license coverage, we would have done it.

My apologies again for the lack of information prior to the release and the inconvenience of the add-on license.

Thank you, Matthias. I don’t view the add-on license as an inconvenience but simply a solution to the problem. It’s unfortunate that this solution wasn’t offered up at the time of release for anyone in need.

Which brings me to this question: As noted above, I contacted Steinberg support and their reply stated that they’d get in touch with Germany to resolve the issue. But I have yet to hear anything beyond that response. Is there now some way to directly deal with the issue through the eLicensing application, or is it a matter of someone in support sending an email with codes on it? If so, how long should I expect to wait for a resolution to this? Is there anything that can be done now, to expedite the process?

You won’t be able to use HAlion 5 and HALion 6 on the same system, since HALion 6 replaces the HAlion 5 plug-in. But the HALion 5 add-on license will be placed on your USB eLicenser and you can use it on a separate system.

I’m a little confused about this statement. When you say: “You won’t be able to use HAlion 5 and HALion 6 on the same system.”, do you mean an entirely different operation system or, just within Cubase 9, on my current boot drive?

It occurred to me that if Cubase 7.5, 8 & 8.5 still list HALion 5 in their respective Plug-In Managers (which in my case, they do, because I transferred the HALion 5.VST3 plug-in over from another machine) that they should launch within those earlier versions of Cubase, provided the eLicenser has the new Add-On licenses installed. Would this be true or not?

How do I get the add on license so I can run Hypersonic 2 again? I emailed support over a week ago but still have not heard back despite sending a reminder.

My understanding is that you request the add-on license via your mySteinberg account.

I already contacted support about it - how else do I put in this request?

I emailed support over a week ago but still have not heard back despite sending a reminder.

I did the same thing. I created a support ticket via MySteinberg Support; received one “we’re contacting Germany” response and have since, heard nothing back. I sent a reminder ticket in two days ago and haven’t received a response to that either (beyond the “ticket entered” robo-reply). I’m a pretty patient person, but, it’s now been over a week. The process of contacting MySteinberg support (in my case: Yamaha USA) via email, would appear to be inadequate to the task.

Now I understand what Matthias meant when he said: "My apologies again for the lack of information prior to the release and the inconvenience of the add-on license". Yep, it’s now officially inconvenient.

What I find puzzling is that Steinberg had to have been aware of the issues the new licensing scheme would create for HALion 5 and Hypersonic 2 users. Why they did not set up a convenient online method to resolve the problem prior to the HALion 6 release is beyond me.

I guess we just sit and wait. Meh.

I thought I’d seen somewhere on here from someone who had received their Add-On license after putting in a support request but can’t now find it…has anyone yet received this Add-On license to allow use of Halion5/Hypersonic 2?

Oh well at least I know something is happening even if I have to wait.

Personally I think they should do the decent thing and compensate us Hypersonic owners by finally opening up the addons too.

Stienberg are making it really difficult for me to consider upgrading Halion 5 to 6

This on top of no support for Windows 7 is not good, hope these issues are resolved soon.

10 days and counting since I sent in a support request and 6 days since a reminder followup and still no response from Steinberg’s Yamaha USA support. Surely something can be done to speed this process up?

A PM from Matthias with a new code arrived today. HALion 5 and Hypersonic 2 have been restored to functionality. Thank you Matthias.

Great for you - it’s been 11 days and counting for me.

Great for you - it’s been 11 days and counting for me.

PM Matthias about it and see what happens.

#Explanation from Steinberg regarding lost licenses (Solved) ???#

Not solved at all…

I’ve been waiting for over a week now for any response from steinberg support, to retrieve back my licenses so i could go on with my projects… :open_mouth:

Shame on you Steinberg, please send me the required license that i’vr paid for and entitled to.

EDIT:
Thanks for Matthias; for me it has been solved by the additional license