Steinberg, please consider adding some basic useful features to setting up/maintaining Expression Maps that will go a long way to helping us save time and sanity.
In the Expression Map Setup window:
- Please allow us to duplicate a map. A ‘Duplicate’ button would suffice.
- Please let us reorder the maps in the list by drag & drop or at least sort alphabetically.
- Please add some sort of indication whether a Map is in use in the project. This could be as simple as adding a little icon next to it, or making the name of the Map in the list bold. (Massive bonus points if you add a way to see which track(s) are using each Map in a single table.)
- When deleting an Expression Map, PLEASE add code that checks if that Map is currently in use on a MIDI or Instrument track in the session, and ask for confirmation before deleting if that’s the case. It’s incredibly easy in large sessions to lose track of where Maps are being used (especially with different revisions of the same Map in use) and inadvertently delete one that is in use, and only discover the oopsie hours or days later.
- Ability copy and paste slots in the Setup window
In the Key Editor:
- A way to manage articulations when the viewing starts to get full in the controller lane
- When an Expression Map is assigned to a MIDI/Instrument track, add the ability to uniquely name controller numbers with useful names (such as CC21 = “Vibrato”) - these custom names should appear in the Key Editor’s CC lanes. These names should be stored with the Expression Map since they can vary for each sample library.
- Independent MIDI offset (like milliseconds offset on MIDI tracks, + or -) per articulation; many sample libraries have varying note attacks/pre-laps that vary by articulation.