Feature Comparison With Cubase 7?

Hello,

I am a mere Cubase plebeian. I’ve been wondering if there is a ‘feature comparison’ chart of Cubase/Nuendo.

From time to time I’ll hear someone on the Cubase fora say that a particular feature is in Nuendo and it makes me wonder a bit.

Eg. years ago, I was told that the Advanced Routing (what I would call ‘multing’ would show up in Cubase but it never has. And I guess there is an ability to switch between key command sets more easily.

I do mainly orchestral composing with the occasional video so I’m not really doing ‘post production’ but both the above features would be useful for me. I -do- use the Score feature in Cubase.

Anything like this out there?

TIA,

—JC

Not -one- side-by-side feature comparison? If one were a prospect how would one choose?

I have never found one either. I was looking when I “moved” to Nuendo from Cubase. I just compared by reading the each of the product pages over and over, then downloading the Nuendo manual to take a closer look at the features I was interested in.
Yes, Steinberg really should provide a chart.

Thanks,

If you don’t mind a bit of a tangent: You switched from Nuendo -to- Cubase? Why? Isn’t that like going from an Escalade to a Corolla… but without getting better gas mileage? :smiley:

Somebody misread something somewhere! :confused:

Chewy

I think you read it wrong, I “moved” TO Nuendo FROM Cubase. I say “moved” because I still have Cubase and keep it updated. I started on Cubase and used it primarily just for music production, but it lacks some post production features so Nuendo makes more sense.
The advanced routing and automation features is what really made me look at it.

Oh, those reading glasses. :blush:

I greatly covet advanced routing. But I don’t do really anything ‘post’… and I thought I read that one needs to not only upgrade to Nuendo, but also get another add-on in order to get back Score. And that I -do- need. So I want to be careful before plunking down that kind of dosh.

One other question if someone might chime in: Is there a =horsepower= difference between Cubase and Nuendo? ie. does one need a ‘faster’ computer to achieve equivalent VSTi, audio track counts? Or, since they share the same engine, they are kinda the same in that regard. I guess I assumed stuff like advanced routing would take more ‘megaflops’ or whatever.

Thanks,

—JC

I found that there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two.
You would need the Nuendo Expansion Kit (NEK) to get all the musical features of Cubase within Nuendo, like the Score and Drum editor. It seems you have to pay extra for something you already have a license to use.

You’ve been very generous. So I’ll bug ya one more time:

If one has Cubase -and- Nuendo, can one reliably open/save the same project with both programs? IOW: if I got Nuendo without NEK (because I’m cheap), could I work in Cubase for scoring and then open the same ‘CPR’ in Nuendo when I wanted to use the ‘advanced routing’? And then goe back to it in Cubase still later?

I would think not, but I figure it was worth asking.

Best,

—JC

I have often started music projects in Cubase then moved them over to Nuendo for doing the sound design. No problems.
If you set up some complicated routing in Nuendo, then tried to open it in Cubase it would open just fine, just with simplified routing.
I have never had any problems going back and forth between the programs, if there are features in one that are not in the other, it just opens without those features.

If you don’t do Post and you are cheap ;o), choose the Cubase route. I have Nuendo since V2, do music only and use all the included features from Nuendo only 40% maybe. The only reason to stay with Nuendo, I think it’s more stable and have less bugs as Cubase, because, you have to wait one year longer or so to get the same (Update)level as Cubase …

I have Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5. I do mainly music with the odd music to picture job. I much prefer the GUI of Cubase now as it’s more editable than nuendo. For example the waveforms in Nuendo can’t ne coloured the same as Cubase, the highlighting in Nuendo puts a red line around the part, I prefer the Cubase way now where the whole part changes colour.

In the old days I much preferred the GUI of Nuendo but since the latest incarnations I very rarely open Nuendo these days.

Projects open fine between the two programs so don’t worry about that.

MC

Me too, but I am using mostly Cubase 6.5, some times N5.5.
Cubase 7/7.5 (owned since release) and Nuendo 6 (trial) are not much in use due to the new Control Room and Mix Console.

As for not having a comparison chart between Cubase and Nuendo, that is just UN-PROFESSIONAL.

I do music only productions, and what I miss the most from Nuendo in Cubase is:
The forth mixer.
The split to mono/join to stereo function.
Some automation options.
The extended routing can be handy.

As for the whole NEK ting… Nah, I won’t go there (finished that discussion, no matter how stupid).

+1
I have both too, but I use Cubase mostly during the time gap between a new Cubase release and a new Nuendo release which most of the time brings the new Cubase features to Nuendo users as well, whether they are general new features or imbedded in the new NEK. This time, the main reason why I’m currently using C7.5 is because it has a new feature called “re-record” which is very handy.

I have always wondered if Cubase and Nuendo have the same engine but different features. If so, how would one justify the huge price difference? Then again, I guess it takes more than mere “curiosity” to buy them both. I have always felt safer in Nuendo… I think I just answered my own question. :wink:

One more thing is that I never delve too technically into any of them, because I don’t mix my own music. My sound engineer has to deal with any bugs/problems/unwanted changes and what not. That’s HIS problem! He hasn’t complained much though. :smiley:

centralmusic once made a list of Nuendo features which are not in Cubase

\

• ADR-Taker-Tool
  • 64Bit support for Blackmagic and Decklink video cards
  • new codecs
  • AAF-exchange
  • nice Pro Tools compatibility
  • bounce-to-markerpoints
  • clip-packages/groups
  • enhanced automation system
  • automation flexible passes technology
  • direct stem routing/mixer
  • Wave Meters
  • Monitor Matrix
  • additional post plugins
  • PitchDriver, realtime pitch plugin
  • MXF audio support
  • enhanced EuCon support
  • EDL List im/export
  • enhanced scrubbing engine
  • complete network integration via LAN, WAN
  • export Note pad data
  • enhanced surround panner
  • surround matrix decoder/encoder
  • additional postpro IRs for REVerence
  • enhanced crossfade editor…

it’s not much, is it?

i use the adr tool a lot, otherwise i’d almost be tempted to switch to cubase, as it’s a version ahead. seems steinberg just want an excuse to charge people a whole lot more for a few bells and whistles so they can feel they have a ‘premium’ product.

am i being cynical?

It sure could need a couple more Nuendo exclusive “killer features” which are not in Cubase, to justify the price tag and the more expensive updates.

And I still don´t see why SB can´t just let us open the most current Cubase versions with the “flagship” Nuendo license.

Nuendo NEK license should always be able to open all same generation Cubase versions. Or at least give us trial keys which last as long as the leapfrogging time gap.

Dont forget:
Multiple marker-tracks
Two video tracks
Multiple stems export by cycle markers with advanced naming
Proper Edit mode

I also would love to see some more and strong Nuendo only features to make the difference in cost a bit more understandable. But, I could never work in Cubase instead as the functions above and the ones quoted below is hugely important to me working in post.

Hello,

I have added a few more points.

• ADR-Taker Tool
  • 64Bit support for Blackmagic and Decklink video cards
  • new codecs
  • AAF-exchange
  • nice Pro Tools compatibility
  • bounce-to-markerpoints
  • clip-packages/groups
  • enhanced automation system
  • automation flexible passes technology
  • direct stem routing/mixer