Feature request. Cubase streaming mix via internet to client

Dear Cubase support team,

i am frequently doing mix jobs over the internet. it would be amazing if a future version of cubase could stream the mix (or any input - because i am mixing analog) over the internet to a client. my dream is that a client then can remotely control the cubase mixer and do changes with a client software. maybe even a little chat window and/or audio channel fpr video conferencing.

greets

mark bihler

I believe you can work together in the same project when you use Nuendo. Although I don’t think you can expect your clients to buy Nuendo just for that :wink:

I do quite a lot of collabs with a producer mate of mine who is thousands of miles away.

We use Skype for speech but feed Cubase’s output direct into Skype input (merging my mic, so although he hears in mono, it’s quite reasonable quality (the mic is the weakest link). We screenshare via Teamview. There is virtually no time lag.

I did try webstreaming Cubase’s output in stereo - but either the quality was rubbish or the delay was terrible. Even 2/3 seconds makes any kind of interaction quite difficult.

We find that it works well for us (with the occasional mp3 of short sections going across as a higher quality check on progress). It’s free - which is great and we have completed quite a number of album projects over the last few years using this system.

Stereo streamed at mp3 quality with minimal lag, shared control with 2 way voice and chat screen all incorporated into Cubase would be interesting - but only so long as it’s not to the detriment of other functions!

P.

If you are on a mac you can use Nicecast. There still is a small lag but at least they can hear what you are doing and you can adjust the quality.

Chris

You should also check out www.logmein.com. It’s a free remote control browser solution where you run a server on your target machine and using a web browser somewhere else (anywhere else!) you can see the screen exactly as if you were in front of the machine. And apparently it can also redirect sound to the browser machine but I haven’t tried this. I have used it to control Cubase from the next room, and even once from another country just to tidy up after a long export I couldn’t wait for, so it is very useable. There is generally latency in doing anything but that depends entirely on the speed of both server and client machines and also the speed of the connection between them. I find it’s a very useful solution for making my studio accessible when I’m travelling.

Mike.

Actually, I was going to say that there’s probably a sound driver that will do that somewhere… Split the audio to your studio and real-time encode it for streaming too. Guess skype’s pretty easy though!

Mike.

Here’s an earlier thread, less supportive of sharing Cubase playback via Skype:

Parrotspain, are you using just an “ordinary” broadband connection, or one with fast uploading?

Hi Gargoyle Studio. My broadband is modest - I live in a village in Southern Spain! Here’s a bit more detail about how we work…

I have Skype running on one PC which has an oldish but pro soundcard in it (Echo Gina) and I send an aux buss mix to it from my audio desk’s output which is monitoring Cubase output. I add my voice to the mix using a decent mic on a separate channel. This means that I hear Cubase output on my monitors in stereo, my mate gets mono with my voice mic mixed in.

I feed Skype’s output to my speakers - so I can hear his voice without handset or headset needed

My DAW PC is entirely separate, but has a net connection. I share my screen using Teamview.

At the other end, my mate has a good laptop with an internet dongle. he links to a pair of monitors although he sometimes uses headphones too. He sees my screen and hears the mono mix and my voice. Teamview allows him to take control, but in general, I do most of the actual manipulation. He can hear quite subtle differences in vocals which are in a foreign language to me and we use Variaudio a great deal to tighten and correct vocal performances.

I have the balance set up so that I can listen to my monitors at a comfortable level with his voice at around that of a human voice in the room. His mic is quite good, so aside from a little wooliness, it feels like he’s in the room with me. I hear a bit of spurious noise from his end - loud motorbikes in particular, but it’s not too distracting

We generally work on a project for an hour or so, then I send over an mp3 via DropBox or directly through Skype. Then we break, make notes, and go again.

This is not just an occasional thing, we have been working this way for the last few years, he used to travel over to do projects with me, but this way is much more efficient. Of course it’s important that we know how each other thinks, but the advantages are obvious. It wouldn’t suit everyone, but it works for us!

One final note, we don’t use skype video as that takes up bandwidth and occasionally the net is slow, but in general it’s trouble free.

P.

edit - slight grammatical alteration only

Hello!

Haven`t tried this in a while, but it might be, what your looking for:

http://www.digitalmusician.net/

Suerte.

Roger

A couple of other references re musicians working collaboratively over the internet:

http://www.ejamming.com/
http://www.musicianlink.com/

Do you record the Skype audio voice from your buddy and use this for the mix, or does your buddy record his voice on his machine in high quality and sends you the wav-file if the recording was fine?

Cheers,
Markus

Here’s another software approach that I’ve just come across, based on streaming MIDI data over the internet. Its users appear to include instrument teachers - eg in the video on the following link, two people have (rather expensive) MIDI-equipped grand pianos and can play in real time on each other’s piano, whilst also using a Skype session to communicate. (Actually, I find it hard to believe that that particular scenario is one where the internet MIDI software would be particularly useful.)

I wonder whether the MIDI streaming could be used just to synchronise two computers running Cubase, one at each end of the conversation. If so, perhaps that could allow a way of working that involved a Skype conversition and simultaneous (and synchronised) good-quality audio at each end?