GoldenAge SMuFL font

Ohhhhhh, I see now! Thank you!

As you said, there are quite a few playing techniques missing including the one I need: the “choke” marking.

It that the ‘comma’ in Unpitched Percussion? (It’s not for starting brass instruments in cold weather, is it?)
You could always use the breathmark to replace it in the Music Symbols Editor.

I’m unlikely to provide every glyph, given the 3,500 chars in the SMuFL standard – and D4’s substitution feature made that less of a problem.

Normally, a choke symbol is “+”, the opposite of “0” (open, undamped). Sometimes it’s simply written out - choke or ch.

I believe you’re thinking of Hi-Hat. @benwiggy, yes I suppose it does look like a breath mark. Thank you! Also here’s a diagram that I found:

Hmm… interesting, this seems a bit inconsistent across the board.

Yes, another one of those things that has no standard procedure. Just look at all of the variants in spelling chord symbols.

You made a good point about + and o being used to specify open and closed Hi-Hat.

I am looking for the characters that can be used to make “boxed” text. With the original Golden Age font, I used these for rehearsal marks and playing instructions:
afbeelding
However, the characters “∫” and “∂”, used to make the left and right side of the box, don’t work in the SMUFL version. Are these remapped to other positions?

Yeaaaasssss… I haven’t included those. Half intentionally, half forgetting about it.

Partly because Dorico provides borders around Rehearsal Marks and Text Objects, and partly because I’m not sure how you create a box of more than one character’s length.

Screenshot

Do you have to include some additional zero-width glyph after each letter that extends both lines? If so, I can’t find that in the original font.

Looking at my half-forgotten Lilypond code, I used “∞” to extend the lines between the end points for rehearsal markts. It is wider than certain other characters (i, l etc.) however, so I used trial and error to discover where to insert these within the text strings.

I think they are wide enough to use as prefix and suffix for rehearsal marks without having to use the extender characters. For playing instructions, I could reuse my old strings (with only lines above the text), if you could add those boxing characters too:

ªStr±ai±gh±t ±8±sº
ªFast± S±win±gº

On a closer examination, for many of these box shapes, Golden Age uses character slots for symbols that also exist in the font! E.g. GA does have actual plusminus, ord masculine ord feminine, TM, notequal, etc chars, but it moves the real symbols to other positions…! (Probably for useful key presses.)

A good Unicode citizen ought to put the proper symbols in their intended slots.

I’ve added the complete boxes to the font in their original positions, as they don’t conflict with existing symbols. I’ll have a think about the where the topless / bottomless boxes might go. Are they commonplace/significant?

They are common, yes, but I personally do not care at all whether they end up in their original positions. I like the fact that you combined the text and music fonts in one, so if these (half) boxes have to move because a regular character is in their position, so be it. As long as I can use them in some not-to-convoluted way, I’m happy :slight_smile:

OK, I’ve added all the boxes. New positions are:

Full Box (as before):
Integral, Delta: Left right ends.
Infinity: top and bottom

Bottomless box
Double Guillemot Left, Right: Ends
Section mark: Top

Topless Box:
Single Guillemot Left right
Double dagger: Bottom line

(Aren’t Guillemots a bird?)

2 Likes

That’s right! It was an error in the original encoding at Adobe, which unfortunately can never be changed.

Looking good:

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’ve had reports of a ‘bug’ in the font on Windows, in which the glyphs are cropped. This is particularly evident looking at music glyphs like a clef – even in a text app. It’s also evident in Finale 27.

Could I ask anyone with Windows to test the latest version?

Thanks

Yes, they are.

I think what was meant was Guillemets ( « and » ).

1 Like

Still need it tested?

Ah: haven’t got round to posting that all “known issues” have been resolved, so v1.001 is now released!

Use it with impunity.

I used it for my Jazz Arrangement and it worked great! Congratulations!