There are compatibility issues with Novation’s Automap 4.8 and Cubase 8, as the configuration wizard doesn’t work. I think I am getting closer to a workaround process. I share it, to help more Cubase users make use of their equipment, and receive your feedback on possible improvements.
The following applies to Novation Automap 4.8 and Cubase 8, tested on Windows 7 and 8.1.
1. Open Novation Automap, go to the “Software Setup” page.
2. Click on “Setup VST Paths” button and add the paths of your VSTs using the “+” button. You should include at least the following:
- C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
- C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
- C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\VSTPlugins
(replace “C:” with the drive letter(s) where you installed Cubase and VST plugins)
3. Below the “Setup VST Plugins” button, there is a list of plugin types (namely VST, VST3, RTAS). Select each of these and tick on each and every plugin you are using, to control it from Automap.
4. In the “Preferences” page, select your device using the drop down menu “Focus Device”.
5. Re-run Cubase (if already running, close it and re-run it)
6. In Cubase, select menu option “Devices”->"Device Setup"
7. Press the “+” button (upper left corner). “Novation Automap” should now appear in the list. If not, Automap has still not been configured (go back to step 1). Select it.
8. “Novation Automap” should be listed under subcaterogy “Remote Devices”. Select it and configure “Midi Input” and “Midi Output” to “Impulse”; also tick “Enable Auto Select”.
9. Select “MIDI Port Setup” from the list. Tick on “Visible” for the following devices: In: Automap MIDI, Out: Automap MIDI.
10. Now open Novation Automap’s “Software Setup” page. The Cubase icon should have been lit with a Green Light.
11. Go back to Cubase 8. Reopen your project and configure your track to use “Impulse” as MIDI Input.
Some of the configuration steps can be adapted to your particular setup, as needed.
Does it work for you?
UPDATE (20/06/2015): A BETA version of Automap now claims to recognise Cubase 8. You may wish to give it a try. Here’s the link: