Information update: new video engine development

Dear forum-members,

For several months, Steinberg has been working on a new video engine for its DAW products, including Nuendo. As you might already know, this change is necessary due to Apple’s discontinuation of the QuickTime technology, and we would now like to share the current status of development with you.

Since we are developing a new engine from scratch, we have set ourselves three primary goals:

• to provide support for the most often used video standards,
  • to achieve solid video playback stability,
  • and to make this engine as independent as possible from particular technologies.

Our current project status shows that we are on schedule to achieve all three milestones. We have completed the architectural reconstruction of the engine. We have completed development concerning memory management. We have started implementing the video codecs, with ProRes, H.264 and DV/DVCPro already done.

While we already have made good progress in achieving important technical milestones, we have not yet completed the development. Our primary goal is to finish the implementation of all remaining video codecs by the end of this year before initiating an elaborate testing scenario that should result in achieving highest playback stability. The latter will start mid of January and we hope to complete the testing phase by end of February. This will enable us to provide the new video engine still in Q1 2017, which would be in accordance with the current schedule. Consequently, the engine will be available for future releases of Nuendo (e.g. 7.5) and in cost-free maintenance updates for current Nuendo 7.0.x versions.

UPDATE March 22: We are currently still in the process of clarifing some license issues as well as final testing. The video engine is therefore scheduled for Q2 2017.

Best Regards,
Timo

Thanx for this Timo :slight_smile:

How would this update effect me as a user importing H264/MPEG4 video that I mostly work with in Nuendo 7.035 / W7 pro 64 bit ?
Currently I do not have or seen any related issues.

Thank you

Hi Andrew,

the current Nuendo video engine under Windows is also based on Quicktime. So the new engine will also come to the Windows platform. However, H.264 will be supported, so there might be no change in your workflow. Except that the new engine should show performance and stability improvements :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Timo

Excellent news Timo…can’t wait! The dreaded ‘waiting for video service’ has been the bane of my life for the past few months, and though Videoslave is working well, it’s still much easier to have it all working from a session…

Great news Timo! :slight_smile:

Yes great news. Thanks for the update Timo!

Good news!!
We are struggling with the XDCam HD 50 Mbit Codec in an MXF Container. Will the new engine support both, the codec and the MXF container?

cheers,
H

+1 !!!
MXF container with all the common codecs (AVID DNXHD, XDcam30/50, AVC(x)-Intra100 !!!) is very important… are you plaming to support the MXF usage?

cheers

From what I’ve heard, probably not in the first release, but it is most definately on the ToDo list.

Fredo

MXF support +1

I really hope that MXF import will be available soon. I more and more receive video files in MXF containers which now I have to first convert.

Please don’t break the DNxHD support.
Blackmagics will still work, right?

It’s almost Feb. Can we grab an update?

I’m itching to know when we can expect 7.5 and therefore all of the nice Cubase features we’ve been missing for two updates now.

Sounds great! Just curious though, will this affect hardware support? Myself I’m using BMD Intenso-cards to run both a CRT monitor, a projector, and the entire Foley/ADR-video systems. Truth be told I’m not that keen on changes in that department. Will I still be able to work with my trusty ol’ stuff?

We need a video engine as soon as possible please. Any update for us ?

I am running a Windows 10 PC and I don’t see any work around to have QuickTime runnnig on my computer. I do understand that Apple dropped support and now we all depends on Steinberg development team to have a new video engine running on Cubase/Nuendo.

Give us some light or let us run the new video engine as beta version.

I personally need it for a advertisement scoring and other video work related. I can’t afford to buy a MAC computer now tho. o.O

Thank you

I don’t understand the problem.
AFAIK, QuickTime runs just fine on Windows 10…

Fredo

Urgent Call to Action: Uninstall QuickTime for Windows Today

That applies only for when you use QT online. (Browser content)

If you wish, you can remove the QT player only while leaving the QT libraries in place.
Because that is Nuendo needs.

Fredo

Afaik, this is about any malicious file data with this “moov atom” being able to take over your PC. You might see staying offline or only removing the player as a workaround, but at least the US government doesn’t seem to agree:

Computers running QuickTime for Windows will continue to work after support ends. However, using unsupported software may increase the risks from viruses and other security threats. Potential negative consequences include loss of confidentiality, integrity, or availability of data, as well as damage to system resources or business assets. > The only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

You can have this personal workaround that you believe reduces the risk, but it’s not something I would want to do or recommend anyone doing, because nothing I read from experts points to it being a reasonable solution.

I simply followed this instructions and it seem to solve my initial problem. At least I can carry on doing my works. However it would be really interesting to have Cubase/Nuendo native video engine release soon as possible.

Cheers