Is it just me? Can't get used to the new Forum

Wow - I’m in awe of your patience trying to use any website which involves inputting text in landscape orientation on an 8 year-old tablet with such a small screen. It must be like trying to view the Internet through a letterbox.

It looks a bit more usable in portrait mode on my Nexus 7.

Hi Ben,

That’s as may be, but I rarely use portrait mode. All the mags I read, and sites I look at, work well in Landscape mode, including the old Steinberg forums.

The Nexus’s case allows it to be easily propped up in landscape mode, which can not be said for Portrait mode.

It is the ‘Search’ boxes that are causing the problem. As soon as the tablet detects an active search box it opens the virtual keyboard on top of everything, as you saw.

I still don’t see the point of having the Search boxes - there are never going to be dozens or hundreds of entries in these forum lists. If they can be made optional - problem solved.

ATB,

Chris.

I

Not to mention all laptops and PCs work in landscape. Don’t get me started about mobile phones! So many users can’t be bothered to post moving images in landscape. Grrr.

There’s currently no setting that I can see to make them optional, so it would be a code change to Discourse itself. I’d be interested to see what they said if you raised the topic on the Discourse feature request page.

I just tried this again in landscape mode and the on-screen keyboard can be easily dismissed with the little down triangle button.

What little down triangle button?

There isn’t one on the virtual keyboard and I can’t see one on the forum itself.

Is he referring to this?

Quite possibly,but that does not exist on the virtual keyboard on my Android Nexus7 tablet.

It’s not part of the keyboard, it’s one of the soft buttons provided by the OS- the back button, I believe. When the keyboard is open, it closes it, leaving the page alone.

You are right! Thanks, that helps.

I was not aware of that.

Normally that arrow seems to just step back entire web pages. I did not know that it would clear the virtual keyboard as well.

1 Like

I hear you- even after years of using that, I still wonder nervously what it’ll do this time when I tap.

1 Like

I used to feel there were friends and colleagues and I could see them, now it’s like trying to find an elephant with a microscope, you know they are there, but you can’t see them . I also dont like the colors - too shiny white or too g;loomy black

I’m quite liking the black - very chic :smiley:

1 Like

yes, the search menu should last in the dropdown List. I have same Trouble

It seems to be working better these days in FF and PaleMoon… or at least usable. It is still not very intuitive, and no clearly stated ‘mark forum as read’,
I prefer the old and most other forum designs.

Mark forum as read sort of = Dismiss New.

But the paradigm is different.

It would be nice to have a grey option between the stark white and sinister black.

1 Like

ngl it kinda got me confused but i guess you need to get used to it. But I think it’s also a little more sorted?

Well for me the forum looks great! I work as UI/UX designer and I really like it! Simple and easy to use! It would be great to put a feedback “channel?” to suggest improvements.

1 Like

The new forum looks ok. Slightly easier on the eyes than the old one. The quoting feature is nice. I like the little red “last visit” line. And the grey text for visited threads.

• “Votes” feature makes no sense. What exactly am I voting for? Shouldn’t this be limited to the “feature requests” category?

• Bring back signatures so users can quickly asses how an issue applies to them.

• The “Tags” Tab should include the ability to choose which platform, better yet, add another tab to filter platform. Better use than the “solved / not solved” tab.

• The first tab is redundant because it’s the same as just going back to the menu page (click on Steinberg name/logo).
    I prefer the menu page anyway when navigating to another category.

• I think the layout from inside the threads could be more efficient. Use less space for the time bar by sliding it all the way to the right and expand the text.
    Better yet. Get rid of the time bar.
    The date in the posts is really all we need to navigate and it would leave so much more space for the thread.

• Maybe make a separate “Forum” category so people can discuss and make forum suggestions in an orderly fashion rather than having to hunt out threads like this which will probably never be seen by the forum programers.

1 Like

It’s not quite the same, but if you add info in the “About me” within your Profile settings it will show up when someone clicks/taps on your username.