Master pages with new Flows

I’ve been looking at this in the manual Master page sets and it suggests that I ought to be able to have a title appear on the new flow (just as it did in the project I imported it from) but unfortunately it doesn’t offer any information of how this might be done.
I’ve already filled out the infor fields for the Flows that I’ve imported, but the titles of the pieces are missing and all the other data (lyrics / composer etc…)
I’ve played around with Master pages and master page sets but still just can’t figure out how this might work.
What I’ve like to be able to do is have a layout look that I can just superimapose on say pages 10, 20, 27 etc… ie: where each new piece starts.

Any ideas?

Either:

Put all of the flow tokens (e.g. {@flowTitle@}, {@flowComposer@} etc. on the first Master Page, then tell Layout Options > Page Setup > Flows to use the First Master Page for each flow that starts at the top of a page (and ensure they’re always at the top of a page). You may also want to turn off Flow Headings, from the same bit of Layout Options.

Or

Build these tokens into the Flow Heading, using the Flow Heading editor.

The flexibility that comes with Flow Headings is that they may appear anywhere on a page, not just at the top.

I’m not entirely sure why you’ve started a new topic, seeing as this appears to be a continuation of Importing Flow - doesn't show up in score

I tried to do this - but the same title appears on every flow.
Although, granted, that’s exactly the look I want - just all the wrong information.

I’ll try editing each Flow start page individually and see how that goes.
All I really want is for the imported Flow to look exaclty like it did in the project it came from…

Is it possible to copy the formatting from the Master page to the Flow Heading editor?
Or does it all have to done manually?

If the same text shows up on each page, there are really only two explanations:

1. You’re using PROJECT tokens when you should be using FLOW tokens
    or
  2. Project Info has the same information stored for each flow.

I suppose there’s a third explanation, which is that if you’ve been manually editing individual pages then they’ll all be overridden, meaning that Dorico can’t do its thing automatically until you remove the overrides. But without seeing the project, I’m guessing here.

Don’t edit each flow start page individually - there are perfectly good tools with which to do this automatically. You’re just not using them!

If you want to upload the project, or even PM it to me, I could probably fix it up in about two minutes.

1 Like

Thanks I’ve sent a PM -
but I really can’t see in the manual anywhere how to do flow tokens, other than in Project Info panel, where I’ve already looked -
Or my other option being to add these hieroglyphics/text strings to the flow pages themselves.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I find the manual incredibly frustrating in that it gives you a vague idea what might be possible but then doesn’t go on to actually explain how to do things - or how to find things which is just as frustrating.
Hence I end up having to ask on the forum every time, and feeling somewhat inadequate!

And the trouble is, for someone like me, I’m only trying to create printable scores once every few months so I know I’ll have forgotten everything again by the next time!

I’m about to PM you a link to an unlisted youtube video (it’s just uploading). If you’re happy for me to post it publicly, let me know.

edit: Rich is ok with it. For anyone else interested, here’s the video:

Hi Rich, sorry that you’ve had difficulties with the documentation. We do have to segment it so that in general, longer explanations are separate from steps so that task-oriented pages are just that. It also helps us maintain consistent and accurate manuals. You should find that any hints towards other things you can do (“You can also…”) should have wording that matches related links at the bottom in most cases, which give you the required information about doing that thing.

When it comes to master pages, it’s a tricky thing to cover because it’s an incredibly flexible tool - more or less whatever you want a master page to do or be, it can do or be. Therefore, we try to provide enough documentation so you can understand what they are, how they work, and what Dorico does by default so that you can go onwards and use them however you need.

I’ve already made a note to see whether I can include a couple of common requirements somewhere, and added a more specific explanation of the default master pages to the revamped “First steps” section of the manual (which will be available soon as a separate guide). You can see a “preview” of that here -

If it helps, here are some links to the most recent manual (the link you shared was from the v2 manual, and I’ve done some updating in this area since then to try to cover more common use-cases).

The descriptions of the different master pages types includes mention of project vs flow tokens used by default. (This more general introduction to master pages might also be useful.)

For further information about tokens, see here. There’s a note on that page about how flow tokens behave, especially in relation to where the token exists on a page relative to music frames.