MIDI notes too early

Could you post a Link?
I just find solutions for PC in KB, not mac.
Thanks

1 Like

Ah, Mac, that explains it. :wink:

IIRC, someone posted a solution for Mac on the old Nuendo forum. Been too long to say for sure.

ahh ok, I will try to find it in Nuendo forum, thanks for your help!

Pablo

Seriously guys, ignore ā€œyer momā€ heā€™s full of **** and is trolling the hell outta this issue.

His username says it all tbh.

There is no working fix, it isnā€™t in the old forums, knowledge base or anywhere else.

So just put the douche bag on ignore and maybe heā€™ll get bored n disappear up his own arse.

What a lazy crybaby. :laughing:

Youā€™ve said before you put me on ignore. Didnā€™t work too well for you, eh?

If thereā€™s no fix, then how did I fix it here? :wink:

Youā€™re the one with his head up his A S S, you prove it by not being able to follow simple directions to fix the issue yourself. Youā€™d rather p i s s and moan than do a little legwork for yourself. Does mama still feed you when cry for the tit? :unamused:

Once more, this has been covered more times than I can count and everyone on Windows has sorted it, without fail. :bulb:

Guys, thanks for your ideas; as soon as I get the chance Iā€™ll try to do those tests.
And when I have plenty of time Iā€™ll go on a quest for the legendary knowledge base in which reportedly all of it is covered since ancient times. :laughing:

Meanwhile, Iā€™ve done another test which may be interesting for you as well:
I reverted my old system to a former stable version of my disc image, plugged in my old equipment (FF800, old syncrosoft key) and - looky here - notes are slightly too early, too!!

Which leads me to the conclusion, that A LOT OF PEOPLE have this effect without noticing it. I at least had it and didnā€™t realize until now, because in my new system the lag turned out to be too big to ignore. Maybe I hadnā€™t realized it if it had been 1/64 shorter.

Eventually I got the feeling thereā€™s more than one tweak necessary to reduce the effect to zero or nearly zero.
Iā€™ll continue try different things and post the outcome here (if thereā€™s any worth posting).

Thanks to all helpful souls around here!

Addendum:

I just tried the following:

• shut down antivirus (never had problems with any, so chances are it was not the perpetrator, but anyway)
  • shut down firewall (my computerā€™s behind a router anywayā€¦)
  • activated ASIO direct monitoring
  • activated external clock signal (donā€™t know what it does, but I had it activated on my old system)
  • used a VST as MIDI metronome
  • deactivated the constrain latency thingamabob

and left all other options unchanged at:

• low latency 64 samples = 2,6 ms input and 2,8 ms output on my system
  • activated ā€œuse system timestamp for Windows MIDIā€
  • activated ā€œuse system timestamp for DirectMusicā€
  • deactivated all MIDI devices except for the masterkeyboard
  • shut down LAN

overall, my ā€œnegative latencyā€ is still there, but itā€™s something I can live with, and maybe you can too, especially if you do the following: Donā€™t go with the metronome!
If you can, record a rhythm pattern or something like that and play along that one instead of the metronome. Maybe itā€™s just my imagination, but I got the feeling notes are tighter to where they belong when I go with a playback track than with the ā€œliveā€ metronome.

This is still no solution, but for me itā€™s a workaround that I can live with if must be.
Cheers!

:unamused:

Proof of the troll, nice move Steiny.

I will definately try some of what you suggested up there. I am waiting on word from tech, they have my drivers for my MIDI controller they might find something there.

Failing that, can anyone name some MIDI controllers they have that definately do not have this issue ?

A guy named mashedmitten helped me solve this issue on the old forum. Guest is right, the answer is in the Knowledge Base. I have it bookmarked for emergencies. :sunglasses:

Welcome to the forum, Ernest T. Bass!

Some folks are having a heck of a time with the MIDI timing. As youā€™ll see when you look around a bit, people have been looking around but havenā€™t found the fix :cry: Which part of the Knowledge Base is it in?

Thanks! :smiley:

a is this just for PC or does it work with mac also?

PC only according to the article. :sunglasses:

Hm. Is ā€˜guestā€™ indeed ā€˜mashed mittenā€™ ? Sometimes a mask can make an otherwise nice person become something his friends would not recognize. Well, if this is Nate, then think back to when you had 10 posts and not a clue please.

Hi Ernest,
You look familiar. :wink:
J.L.

Oh, sorry to be so dull, it is Nate. Cool, I wondered where you went. First of, you have been of much help to me in the past, so no dis here. I remember you hit 4000 posts and then you disappeared. Why? And why not visit as Nate?

Anyway, I did do that thang where the ignoreportfilter file is dropped into the main Steinberg folder, and I did open my device setup window and made sure only one port was activated for ā€˜inā€™ and one for ā€˜outā€™. I did not use the Windows midi but the direct music midi and the emulated version of that and also checked the box for the direct music timestamp. My midi input is via an M-Audio Uno 1X1 because I only have one keyboard, BTW.

When I open my project window, and choose a synth or drum device, I select the same emulated midi port there, as well, on the VST channel. And I think this is all correct. And the timing sounds correct as I tap/play along to the internal click and then play it back. It looks right on the bar/beat window, as well.

So is this what you are suggesting or is there something else?

If you donā€™t mind, can you explain to me why I need to use the ā€˜emulatedā€™ version of the midi signal rather than the regular version? Just curious.

ā€˜Guestā€™ was Yer Mom III. I think heā€™s been removed from the forum.

Cheers,

Carey

Hm. Well then, this is a mystery of a sort. See this link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=657126

Here it was Yer Mom III who sent somebody to it in one of the links in this very post, to show off their recorded music. ā€¦And this is Nateā€™s music, formerly mashedmitten. ?? So at this point, I see Yer Mom III basically claiming to be mashedmitten, or certainly claiming Nateā€™s music as his own.

Eh, not Sherlock Holmes but something is afoot here. I wonder if - for whatever reasons I do not know - Nate was removed from the forum as ā€˜mashed mittenā€™ and came back as ā€˜Yer Mom IIIā€™? You have to admit it is weird to see anybody here linking another personā€™s sound cloud music as their own.

I do get it now that when you are removed from the forum, your moniker is replaced with the ā€˜guestā€™ title. I did not understand this. Anyway, Iā€™ll stick to my suspicions that guest/Yer Mom III/mashed mitten are one and the same. Whatever else will be said, the person whoā€™s name is Nate was always helpful to me in regards to Cubase and I appreciate that.

But OK, perhaps too much drama and not enough Cubase, at any rate.

I saw (on the old cubase.net forum) that mashed mitten was referred to as Nate.

I was privy to the Music Lounge thread (which I can no longer find) that gave birth to Yer Mom III. They called him Nate.

Your suspicions are pretty much confirmed.

Also:
Happy Mother's Day, Nate ! - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums (The last post was by Yer Mom III)

And, concerning the topic of this thread:
I found this article while kicking around the old cubase.net forum.
Cubase: Music Production Software - DAW | Steinberg
The link in the thread says that not just system timestamp or emulated ports will help, but one combination of both.
Hope this is of help to someone.