Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

this is what I also really had in mind – I mainly just want to be able to loop indefinitely and hear and enter different variations as I go along and stop playback/recording when happy. The extra step of Dorico recording the changes per pass in a list I suggested is actually unnecessary. This ought to be the easiest to implement, surely, and could suffice for many composers?

Which is not to say that more sophisticated functionality couldn’t be added later.

It is typical in DAWs to offer several optional recording modes. One would keep only the latest take. One would keep a lane for all takes, allowing later composite. One would merge all the takes together (i.e. you play different notes of the chord in each pass). I think a Dorico implementation could be highly analogous to what is done in Cubase already.

Cubase MIDI recording modes

Cubase audio recording modes

I don’t think MIDI recording has changed in Cubase since I actually did it a long time ago. I doubt any of us can know (though we can speculate as I have done) which method will be the least complicated to implement in Dorico – the mere fact it is done in Cubase does not at all mean this can be ported straight to Dorico as Daniel and others have often been at pains to point out because the underlying architecture is completely different.

We can only suggest variations on what we might like to see and the team will work out what can be achieved with the resources and time available.

I don’t think anybody said that. My point is simply that conceptually speaking, the lane model is well understood – almost universal in the DAW world – and could be adapted to notation programs. I’d rather see familiar concepts used when it isn’t necessary to reinvent the wheel.

fine – no argument with that!

It would be nice to upgrade the Tap Tempo feature so that it is smoother, i.e. the tempo jumps around less due to taking an average from more beats, like this tap tempo website.

I’m (still) very excited for Dorico 4.

2 Likes

We should start betting on what’ll be in version 4, and even whether it will be called something different than 4.

a simple but good idea. As it is, I do the averaging in my head.

Thanks for sharing … and indeed this feature would save a lot of time and even more would prevent lots of errors in my scores, because I change quite often the quality of chords and forget about mirroring this change in the chord symbols.

so it’s a thumbs up here! :+1:

1 Like

Great point about the harmonics!

Something that wold be extremely helpful (at least to me) n this area would be another choice in the note coloring option. Normally I leave this set to highlight out-of-range notes. But I’d love to have the ability to switch this to a “dissonance scale” (somebody could probably come up with a better name.)

For example, notes that are explicitly in the chord wold display in black. (e.g. if the chord is C 7 b9, then C, E, G, Bb and Db would all be black.) Notes that aren’t in the chord, but reasonably belong to the scale defined by the chord would be shown in yellow. In this case, D, F, and A would be yellow, indicating they are highly compatible with the chord. All other notes would be red, indicating they are dissonances. Red notes aren’t bad. It all depends on the context. But visually, I’d expect red notes as passing tones. I wouldn’t expect many red notes near the end of cadences.

I just finished a 5-horn arrangement of Nutville that would probably be 30% red in the horn parts. But if I saw much red in a ballad that would likely indicate either an error in the parts or an insufficient chord name.

And besides, think back to the parallel octaves and fifths plugin in Sibelius … I hope the proof-reading capabilities would take a step forward. Perhaps there once will be a Bob Zawalich for Dorico …. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I’d like to request the ability to highlight sections of music, like in Sibelius. I used it all the time and miss the capability in Dorico.

1 Like

One more thing: I’d like to be able to export a video of the scrolling score with audio playback from within Dorico. Conductors I work with really love this when I send them new works. I know there are third party workarounds, but I’d love to have this feature without having to leave Dorico. Thanks!

2 Likes

as far as I know, the only way to change the “out of range” notes is still by editing the .xml file. If correct, we urgently need a way to be able to easily change these settings backwards and forwards if we want to produce variations of scores for either amateurs v professionals in the real world or adjust the range to match a particular VST instrument so the correct range would easily be visible.

Somewhat related to this is the fact that it’s not even possible to specify a note range in “filter notes by pitch” as far as I can see which would at least be one way of highlighting notes which would be unplayable in a particular score so they could be edited. I think the general point that filtering still needs quite a bit of work has already been made often enough.

I hope something like this would fit into a proper template library system where I could have several different templates for my instrument ranges, corresponding to different ensembles, skill levels, and genres. There should be a simple way to recall instrument range settings independent of (or in combination with) any other settings.

I would also note that many instruments have variations that allow extra notes: e.g. the “B foot” on C flute, the A key on bari sax, half an octave of usable notes on a compensated euphonium, etc. I would rarely write a low B on flute, as that really should be played on an alto flute or bass flute. But if I know the bari player has an A key, there are many times that is an indispensable note.

Sort-of off-topic, but are there notation programs that do this already (Sibelius, Musescore ???) If so, I’d be happy to send XML scores to the other programs to produce the videos. There are so many of these professional-looking videos out there now that I can’t believe everybody would be building these videos from scratch using a generic video editing app. How are people doing this?

For my case, I am indeed animating scores by hand. Sibelius used to be able to do auto-scrolling scores (I haven’t used it in years so I have no idea if it is still supported).

I take PDF’s and animate them page by page in Camtasia. I’d love to know of a better way though. The problem with xml exporting is you’re then at the mercy of the engraving of that program too. I take too much care to make nice-looking scores in Dorico to then just throw all of that effort away for the YT demo videos.

Screen capture software (MultiCam Lite, $50) is a lot less expensive than Sibelius.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=screen+capture+software&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Looking into this more, actually it is easier than I thought. I had never looked into printing graphics in Dorico other than PDFs. It is easy to print the score as a bunch of separate PNGs, one per page. From there, it is easy to drag the PNGs into just about any video editor. I use PowerDirector.

The process with PowerDirector would be:

• Format the score as you want it to appear on the video
  • Export the score layout in Dorico as PNG
  • Export the audio rendering as MP3
  • In PowerDirector (or your favorite movie editor) drag the MP3 into an audio track.
  • Drag all the PNGs onto a single video track
  • Slip-edit the PNGs to match the playback
  • Select all the PNGs, and apply the page transition effect you like
  • Produce the video

That actually would not be difficult.