Multi-instrument percussion labels

Hello, I can´t find how can I write labels like this

Would it be possible?

Thank you very much in advance

This is a new feature of Dorico 4: Showing instrument/player names in staff labels

And also, I don´t know if related, would it be possible to show the list of instruments of each player in its part automatically?

See this forum post from 2018:

and, perhaps for a solution that works with a 5-line staff:

Thank you very much.

I’m sure I’m missing something, but now I don’t see the instruments I use at the beginning of the work, and in the following pages the name that appears again abbreviated is that of the instrument and not that of the player… Thank you!

Make sure you right-click the player in the Players panel and choose Edit Name to set both the long and short form of the player name.

It did work, thank you very much :slight_smile:

May I suggest making the latter option more visible? I can’t think of how exactly, but it doesn’t seem too intuitive. Maybe it´s my problem, of course.

By the way, I take this opportunity to congratulate for this last version of Dorico, it has put the program far away from the competition (for good, I mean).

Forget what I said, on reflection it does make sense as it stands. Thanks again :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t understand how it works.

• If I apply the names of the players as staff labels, then it doesn’t show me the instruments that start playing either in the general or in the parts.

• And if I convert the instruments to a kit, then it doesn’t show me the player’s name on the side, but also not at the beginning of the part.

I’m sure there’s something I’m not understanding, but I don’t know what it is.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Is your text frame big enough?

Text frame? Sorry, I’m referring to the labels of the instruments on the staff

To show staff labels in your part layouts, go to the Staves and Systems page of Layout Options and set the options at the top of that page as you wish.

Thank you very much! I hadn’t see that :person_facepalming:

And is it possible to choose the name of the player and the instruments staff label in the general score when you write for a percussion kit?

Thank you!

And I still don´t know how to show, in the general score, wich is the first instrument that each percussionist plays:

Captura de pantalla 2022-02-02 a las 11.41.48

Maybe:
Layout Opions/Players/Instrument Changes/“Show instrument change label at start of flow” … ?

1 Like

You could also use the context menu > Percussion > Percussion label feature!

Layout Opions/Players/Instrument Changes/“Show instrument change label at start of flow” … ?

Thank you, it´s a good idea, but it doesn´t work with Timpani (don´t know why) and it is not always desirable that all instruments indicate this

Example with Timpani:

You could also use the context menu > Percussion > Percussion label feature!

This sounds good, but I can´t find this option. Please, could you show me where is it?

Thanks to both of you!

Select a note on a staff, invoke the context menu (ctrl-click or right click), Percussions > Percussion label or smth like that :wink:

Perhaps the Percussion routines do not work with Timpani because that instrument is considered separate from the rest of the percussion.

1 Like