New Avid Control app is excellent!

Works great on a trashcan Mac with an old iPad Air 2! True, it takes a bit to get through the install process, but thanks to everyone’s input I made it work. I will say don’t expect immediate connections and results when you install something at first or try to connect. I found it took about 5 minutes for Avid’s site to recognize the iPad app, then about another 5 minutes for the Mac app to recognize the iPad on the network. After that, it started right up and FINALLY gave me the control I’ve been needing. Those folks at Eucon are great! I worked with some of their software engineers in their nascent days and they are a sharp and committed bunch.

I’ve got Control running successfully with Nuendo (no crashes) and it looks like it’s going to do virtually all of what I want.
One thing I have noticed is that, although the vertical channel meter bar graphs are consistent with those on the Nuendo mixer, the numeric peak readings at the bottom of the meters are not. On Control all my channels show values of zero and do not change.
Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a setting I’m missing?

Wow, this app is great. I think of buying a Pro Tools Dock to gain more out of it. And to be honest, Steinbergs CC 121 vs. Pro Tools Dock is like Atari vs. MacBook. When Yamaha bought Steinberg years ago, I thought brilliant software would meet brilliant hardware. (after the Houston disaster) But it’s not only about developing something rock solid like CC 121 - 12 years ago. It’s about maintaining it, continue in development.
Steinberg is really great on software - and what’s the great thing about Pro Tools Dock? The ability to benefit from software on a touch screen. F**K!
Give CC 121 an iPad dock. And sell it to the pros to control Nuendo and to the newbies as cool Cubasis hardware extension.

I got some feedback on my support request from Avid.
Still no answer from Steinberg support (I wrote them 3 weeks ago!!)

“At the moment, we have one bug ticket confirmed as already reported, which is with “Plug-in, Pan, and Send windows not closing when exiting using Cubase/Nuendo” (GWSW-13534). The remaining bug tickets remain to be validated at this time.”
Allthough this issue is not as serious as the mixer mirroring or the scrolling follows bank / nudge, it is progress.
So maybe we can use the fully functional Avid control app / EUCON controllers in the (near) future with Cubase / Nuendo…

As the latest version is unusable for me (Nuendo crashes instantly with an apparently known bug that Avid says is on SB’s side), I’ve ditched it for now and am trying out Metagrid. It doesn’t have any of the fader control, but in terms of triggering shortcuts and commands, it works great and is a bit more configurable - it also triggers midi so good for note/controller triggers for virtual instruments/sample libraries.

I don’t know why yours is crashing all the time. As I said, all good here and no crashes since the first try of the control app.
So maybe this is related to any system settings?!?

Just updated my Avid control app and EuCon. “Display breaks on track color” in the “tracks” view now works! This is really handy and makes navigating through the session much easier. Now this provides a nice overview of your session and tracks. So it is a nice mini-step forward. Regarding all the other issues with Nuendo / Cubase and Eucon: I was in contact with Steinberg and Avid Support, both assured me that they are aware of these issues and will try to fix them and get in touch with each other. I will be persistent on this one… so if you guys also contact them and complain about all these issues, maybe we are strong enough together to get things sorted!

So if the “mixer mirror” and “bank / nudge - scrolling” bugs get fixed, then I’ll buy another Avid S1, because then you have nearly everything in combination with a tablet what Nuage is able to do… and you still can extend your setup with the Avid dock…

cheers

^^^^
yes I noticed an update to the app/software this morning - glad to know they are moving forward

Tested the new updated version: It STILL crashes Nuendo when selecting the “Tracks” tab with a project that has over 40 tracks.

The app is working just fine on my end and the current session is sitting at 195 tracks. No crashes what so ever.
I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T813)

I wonder if it’s iPad related. I’ve used eucon for over a decade, since the MC Artist days and i don’t recall it crashing like this.
Metagrid is filling the gap for now…

I’m using ipad - an no crashes, although I’m on PC

WTH, how can half of us have an INSTANT CRASH and the other half have no problems? There has to be a “smoking gun,” some settings or system combination that explains this! :open_mouth:

can somebody share a stripped down project that predictably crashes ?

It crashes with me on projects with literally a couple of tracks. I’ll try the new version, but for now happy with Metagrid - more stable and more buttons :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I did a little test today. On my Windows 7 PC, running the latest version of Eucon and N10 it runs fine, no crash when there are more than 40 tracks. On both my MacPro (Sierra) and MacBookPro (Mojave) it crashes. Looks like this is an MacOS issue.

Meanwhile, I am sticking with TouchOSC which I can highly recommend as an iPad (or other tablet) addition to control Nuendo.
Pro’s: Highly customisable, very stable, (never crashed), easy setup, it is free!
Cons: It takes some time to program, not really fancy visually, track names and parameter names / values are not grabbed from Nuendo

strictly speaking it’s not free - but it is pocket money price

also

Ah, you’r e right. It’s $5. I seem to recall it was free, but obviously I was mistaken. But still it is very good value for money.

Last week, I had a catastrophic PC Failure. I lost my entire OS. :cry: This week I am piecing back my OS, one app at a time, which will clearly be hundreds! As such, I ended up updating to the latest Version of Eucon (v. 20.1) and putting Avid Control (which was lost to me when they updated to v. 19 while I remained at v. 18.3 since it was STABLE) back online. THIS was going to be my “Silver Lining,” As Avid had claimed on it’s March 3rd release to have solved many of the problems that plagued the S1 release in December. If I had to start over, at least I could finally have a little better work flow with the Avid Control App.

I’m running on the barest possible level at present. I’ve got a fresh install of N10 with NO VSTi’s or 3rd party plugs or anything yet, as they have yet to be re-installed. I opened an empty test project and filled it with 16 MIDI tracks, 16 mono audio tracks, 16 stereo audio tracks, 12 groups and 12 VCAs ALL BLANK. This is the smallest possible setup for one of my normal projects. Then I fired up my Artist Series hardware and Avid Control. The second I touched the Tracks Page on Avid Control, I got the “Exceeded Track Count” error message and Nuendo crashed telling me to save my work under a different name. :angry:

THIS is the same BS I was dealing with when it was called Pro Tools App at Version 18.3.! This means, If I use the app, I will have to AVOID THE TRACKS PAGE (which was the work-around on V. 18.3), which was 90% of the reason why I wanted it in the first place! :unamused: The touch screen on the MC Control is not great and there’s no scroll ribbon, like on the MC Pro. My work-around was to program a scroll function on my transport to quickly access tracks on the Mixer. Being able to use the touch screen on my iPad, especially with the tracks organized by color, would have been faster and easier to access. But I CAN’T USE IT because it will cause N10 to crash, just like before.

So, my vote is that the new Avid control is, in fact, NOT excellent. It is the same ol’ same ol’ with a new name! :angry: :cry:

I wondered if the crashing was a hardware issue. Perhaps those of you who weren’t experiencing this issue had Macs with iPads and that was causing a more “solid handshake?”

I have an iPad running the app with a PC. So, I was hoping the issue was as simple as changing to an Android tablet. So I went to the Google Play store and downloaded the app to my Galaxy S8+. I fired the system up and loaded it into the Eucon List of hardware. It worked fine until I touched the tracks page. Then, sadly, I got the error message

and a COMPLETE NUENDO CRASH (which means you have to go into the Task Mgr. just to get it to shut off!).

Mac OS Mojave and IMac 2013 plus original iPad Pro with iOS 13, Nuendo 10.2

I agree the Avid Controller is sooo far ahead of the SB iCPro I hope SB is embarrassed!

I have it working quite well, although like others I have loaded projects with 40+ track counts only to have Nuendo hard crash instantly.

I love the Eucon soft keys but haven’t worked out how to ‘reel them in a bit”. There’s just too many!

I’d want SB to put in some effort to bring their app into the running. I think they’d be able to build in way better stability than relying on Avid.

I still lean on my old cmc usb controllers … love them… but when they eventually fail I want an alternative. Tablets seem the obvious solution. Although I’d seriously consider a bespoke SB hardware channel controller, transport navigation device.