No buy since no download

Yeah that’s true. I didn’t even think about that. I’ve been through that PITA process before, where software only downloads part of the way, corrupts, and you have to do it all over again… sometimes more than once. Since Steiny’s server has problems multiple times a day, I can only imagine the hassle THAT would bring!

Cheers!

Stopped by my local music store on Wednesday early evening placed my order, picked up my C6 upgrade today on my lunch break after they called me this morning to say it was in… no fuss or hassle…

I can see how the download would be better for some, certainly it depends on where you live. I can recall times were we were all trying to download patches for C4 and C5, and they would be corrupt or unavailable due to server load… too many anxious cubase users wanting to DL. Like a chunk of steak being dropped in the piranha pond.

So if they do decide to allow new version upgrades to be down-loadable, they better make damn sure that everyone can access… or keep the option to buy a shipped boxed version also.

Don’t most companies, especially ones with the reach and resources of Yamaha/Steinberg, contract out things like download servers? Is it really THAT expensive?

I’d want to believe that a download OPTION would result in plus business. I’d also like to see some legacy products offered at a large discount via download – it wouldn’t require any merchandising, inventory maintenance, or production costs.

Regarding download speeds/bottlenecks, multiple mirror servers is the answer… most such setups even indicate current traffic, as well as where you are in the cue, if any. I’m no expert, but the profit from the sale of just ONE copy of Cubase would cover the expense of one server for at least a month.

That’s why I think the problem is more to do with the license key than server capacity. It’d be great if someone from Steinberg could chime in.

The only way a new purchase could be made via download is if one could (or had to) provide the dongle himself. I know Native as well as Antares do it this way. In a way, it dilutes the value of the download option, since you have to either order or find a store that sells the dongle itself in any case (nobody in my town of 85,000 sells dongles, I have to either order it or drive 75 miles to get one).

My real concern is about upgrades, where you already have a dongle. I’m just pulling the number out of my a**, but I want to think that up to 90%+ of current users would use the convenience of a downloadable upgrade if it were available. I know I would

• 0.0X%

:slight_smile:

Basic versions, plugins and OEM upgrades are likely to be the only options unless Steinberg decides to sell dongles online.

What - you mean like this?

Would you eat at a restaurant that served software? Your restaurant analogy is a misnomer.

Answer me this: Why doesn’t Cubase still come on floppy disk? By your conservative logic Steinberg should be shipping 5,461,334 floppies to customers (who have to send a paper cheque by mail, naturally). What about the point when they announced they were moving to optical media? Were you there complaining then about still wanting floppies?

Digital download for Cubase is inevitable. Steinberg themselves have said they are planning it.

We get it - you like to buy cardboard boxes and plastic discs and wait for them to be physically shipped over from Germany at a massive environmental cost. Keep doing that - I don’t care. I’ll download and be half way through a song by the time you get the box home.

Yes but selling blank dongles is a far cry from upgrades.

Where does it say there are plans to sell full products online BTW?

They did not specifically say they WERE going to, just that “we always are looking for ways to improve …” blah blah blah.

What’s the problem with selling products to new users via download with the stipulation that the buyer must provide his own dongle/key? I know of several companies that do this. In fact, some of these companies don’t provide a key even when you order the boxed version.

While we’re on the subject, unless I’m mistaken, Steinberg is the only company using the syncrosoft key… which is of course because they bought the company. Everybody else uses iLok. iLok is a BIT more of a hassle, but it’d be nice if we could just put all the licenses on ONE key and free up a USB port. Which will never happen

They say it’s ‘an ongoing project’.

Exactly - like Flux for example. Their plugins use iLok, when you buy from them they will sell you an iLok, but if you already have one you just input your account and they sort out the licensing.

You download, you’re done.

There are more companies providing downloads than those that don’t.

I received my upgrade copy of Cubase 6 today. There is no hardware key in the box. No, I plugged in my old key and upgraded the license with a new activation code that was in the box. So there goes that reason for waiting for a package to arrive. You have to use your existing key. You don’t get a new one with the upgrade.

Instead, there are a bunch of DVDs in the box that I don’t want and will never use – trial versions of other Steinberg software. Don’t care. They will never be opened. Bad form, Steinberg, for crapping up the environment with needless packaging and shipping. You could have let me download the core Cubase installer (less than 1 GB) and sent me the activation code via email.

It’s not all sour grapes, though. I will say thank you to Steinberg for the extremely fair upgrade price. $150 is a great deal to upgrade from Cubase 4 to Cubase 6. Now, please get that download option rolling for future upgrades.

Hi Fitz… Your interpretation of my post is flawed. Nor am I complaining about anything. However, if you can find me a restaurant that does serve software, I’ll buy you lunch! :wink: :laughing:

I too want downloads. Have a nice day!

Cheers

I purchased the Presonus Studio One Artist on special for $20 a month ago. It took an entire week to down load (on a dsl connection )and came accross with corrupted files twice. Basically I’ve never gotten it right and have given up.

I would never buy Cubase as a download. If this option is wanted by some so be it. I’l always opt for boxed and a disc and hope Steiny maintains this option .

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that download be the ONLY option, just that it is one of the options for people who prefer it.

What I think Steinberg should do is for every .x upgrade require users to download (or request) an upgrade code via the elicenser or website.

That way you will be guaranteed a download slot and the elicenser becomes a download manager into the bargain.

Patches/hotfixes of course would always be “free” and are therefore recognized by the elicneser technology as having been paid for.

When an update come around ie C6 they can only be actioned by the payment system at asknet or ordered from the distributor and on sent to the user or seller respectively.