No Sound with Dorico 4

I just installed Dorico 4. Everything appears to work except for the sound on the playback. I’ve tried switching from NotePerformer to HSSE etc. under preferences and nothing works. Any ideas on how I might get my sound to work?

Sorry to hear that, @perrinea. Can you do Help > Create Diagnostic Report from within Dorico 4 and attach the resulting diagnostics here?

Here they are. Thanks, Daniel!

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (386.3 KB)

On the face of it, everything looks OK to me. Are you expecting output to come out through your computer’s built-in speakers? It doesn’t appear that any other outputs are available, but can you confirm that’s what you expect?

Yes, I am simply trying to get it to come out of my laptop’s internal speakers. I can confirm that the metronome in Dorico 4 works, which is puzzling.

Right, that’s a good start at least. If you go to Play > Playback Template and re-apply the HSSE+HSO (Pro) playback template, does that kick things into gear?

If not, if you run Steinberg Library Manager, do the various sounds included with HSSE appear to be installed as expected? It should look something like this:

So Play>Playback Template was able to get HSSE+HSO working. NotePerformer still isn’t, though.

Are you using a M1 mac natively?

I am, yes

I’m not even sure what Rosetta is, so no, I don’t think I’m running Dorico 4 that way. I was running 3.5 on the same M1 laptop with NotePerformer before installing 4. Now, neither want to playback correctly.

That’s right, you need to set Dorico 4 to open using Rosetta to use NotePerformer. The procedure is described on pages 51 and 52 of the Dorico 4 Version History PDF.

1 Like

I found the version 4 history PDF.

Here is a screenshot of the Info screen from Dorico 4. I see no option to select for rosetta.

I cannot figure out how to use the Steinberg Library Manager to get the things on screen that I see in the screen shot above. Any help much appreciated. I had hoped to actually work on music this morning and am disappointed that I can’t use this basic function.

Is your Mac Intel or M1 (Apple Silicon)? Because that option is only available for Apple Silicon computers.

The Rosetta option you only see, if you have a Mac with Apple Silicon (M1).

The Steinberg Library Manager is a separate app to Dorico and it shows something completely different to that what is depicted in your screenshot.

Have you actually downloaded and installed the Dorico Sound Installer Package? Without it you won’t hear anything from Dorico.

When in Dorico, please do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and post the corresponding zip file here. From that I can tell more what might be wrong at your end. Thanks

Hi Ulf,

Attached is the diagnostic report. I have an intel mac, not M1, so Rosetta not an option.

This morning, at some point, I was able to hear sound from my speakers in both playback and walking through the notes in “write” mode.

Now, this afternoon, I am back to not having sound again. I’m assuming this is operator error of some kind, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what I did or didn’t do in either case.

With regards to the downloads, I processed my upgrade from 3.5 to 4 this morning, downloaded the installer, installed everything it asked me to install, and then put in my license key, etc. If there is something else I’m supposed to do, i’m not sure where I would know that more things were needed.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (865.3 KB)

Thank you.

Thanks for the data. Everything looks normal and you have installed everything needed. The only thing is, if you open the mixer window (F3) then you will see that the 8th channel of the first HALion Sonic SE instance is soloed and therefore all other channels implicitly muted. If you un-solo that channel you should be able to hear everything again.

Ok. … ah. so now, I am hearing only the saxophone voice. I have no idea how to switch instruments to hear them play (in full score as far as I can see).

When I am on the saxophone staff, I can hear the pitches sounding.

As I mentioned, this is clearly operator error, but there is no support for the playback feature in the manual yet, so there are (obviously) very BASIC things I don’t understand about how this works that I didn’t need to fiddle with in the past because, kludgy as I am, I could just get things to work the way I needed them to to get by.

Hm, there must be also a bug somewhere, because the lower zone with the faders does not show that the channels are muted. Also, not all channels are shown. Therefore, could you please send me that project to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’ and I fix it up for you.

Hi Ulf,

I managed to get instruments assigned to all of the channels, but I’m still not sure it is set up correctly. thanks for the offer. I’ll hit my next deadline and then send the file after. many thanks.