Nuendo 5 getting Cubase 6 features when?

No - the “official” word of of the last few days has been (according to Chris B - from this thread):

“Please stay to one topic. Some information will come at a later point. Please stay tuned”

I guess if you wanted to pull the trigger this very second and order C6 - yes -I suppose you would pay full freight. If it were me - I would wait and see what this cryptic message actually means.

VP

Personally, using cubase is not an option for me as it just doesn’t work with my ID console.
What would be wrong with the concept of creating just one app, where the functionality available to you is determined by the licenses on your dongle?
Drop the whole 2 apps thing altogether.

Nuendo code has the ability in prefs to disable certain components from the menus, so why not take this a stage further & have a totally modular system.
Better automation loaded if you have the right license.
Better surround support - ditto.
Music tools - no problem, if your license activates that component then it appears, if it doesn’t then you need to get the update. Steiny could do several entry points, with the cheapest giving basic functionality, then a cubase equivalent & finally the “top of the range” version with all bells & whistles activated by default.
These could still be customizable - for example, the IOSONO panner can be disabled by unticking it in “Devices/Plugin Information/Program Plugins” - so why not continue along these lines?
…with the additional benefit that leapfrogging stops.

Neil,

I suspect you’re preaching to the choir… It’s been a request for years. I’m guessing the primary concern is branding. I’d say it’d be a worth while trade-off to consolidate into one software as you describe, with one brand-name. Somehow I think it won’t happen this decade though… I don’t think we can talk much more about it without approaching the point of… well… you know…

I wonder who the Queen fan was in original Nuendo development?
Obviously there was a “2001” fan too, hence HALion with it’s (originally) Red eye (now Blue to match 2010 sequel)
But I digress - again! :laughing:

I have always been a fan of the Queen.
I also like that Sox Pistols song; God Shave The Queen.

Fredo

Agreed! :mrgreen:

OMG, we are getting way OFF TOPIC in the Music lounge again! :open_mouth: :wink: So, about that announcement Chris mentioned… any news on this?

Funny, until today I never had the idea to look under Steinbergs hood.

Here is the complete report until March 09. Since this is German only, I just point to the things that are probably of interest:

Looking at the turnover, Cubase generated 12.000.000€ where Nuendo generated 890.000€. The pro audio segment is not literally a niche, but generates only 6,2% of the total t/o.

Hardware generates 7,1% of the total t/o and is thus more important than pro audio (!) after only one year (there was no hardware sold before this reports time span).

As for March 09, Steinberg is nowhere near financial problems. They report that due to the aggressive pricing from Apple, they needed to lower their prices, but that didn’t do any damage to Steinberg.

The profit was as low as 303.000€, but as far as I understand this is because the price for purchasing Syncrosoft has been paid at once (i.e. without obtaining a loan). Syncrosoft costed 2.900.000€, but this saves 1Mio€ of license fees per year.

They have 122employees as of 31.03.2009, but they expect to expand very quickly to be able to keep in touch with a fast changing audio market.

Well. Sadly, there is no newer report, what I don’t quite understand. It should be available soon. Let’s see what they plan for the future.

Will have Nuendo nicer Waveforms in the end?

I hardly miss “transparent Events” as well as I dislike the “Event inverts color when highlighted”. That confuzes - I prefer that red highlight around a regular looking waveform. In C6 the (black) Wave turnes into white and the background turnes into black. Baaaah, not professional looking those Events… Rrrrrh, Nuendo Events - I love!

now that was highly interesting. Also if you take a look at reports of other german based companies like Magix, Ableton… good to know Steinberg is doing so well, but the market share of Nuendo compared to Cubase does not surprise me at all.

I have the official statement:

Nuendo 5 to Cubase 6 Crossgrade offer - 593.97 € :laughing:

I think I’ll switch to FruityLoops.

Don´t do it. I heard there will be a Post Pro version of FruityLoops in the future called FruityPost. The price will be 5 times of Fruity Loops but they will lock out some of the music functions and offer them in a seperate package called “FEK” :wink:

edit: by the way, there are three small editing features from FL I´d really like to have: the magic lasso and the scaling of MIDI events, also the possibility to view audio events in the key editor behind midi notes for aligning,
check out at 2:16

LOOOOOOL

I just tried to do some work in Cubase 6. It is not possible. I am not talking about the features, they are aweome. But C6 has the most annoying Audioevent-Design ever.

Please - when implementing the cool C6 features into Nuendo - do NOT use that “enhanced” Event design. Please leave everything like it is, in Nuendo it is awesome. In Nuend1 days the Event design was a main reason for me to purchase Nuendo - in Cubase VST it was quite nasty and in Logic it was not sample-precise. Please don’t change anything!

I just posted this over at the Cubase Forum:

I am REALLY not happy how the new audioevents are looking now…

I am used to Nuendo 3 & 4 and here I have pristine sharp waveforms - in Cubase 5.5 I have great looking waveforms as well, I am currently in Cubase 5.5, recording and editing drums. I just opened a song in C6 and well… I spent some time tweaking those sliders trying to get the wave forms looking good. Good in a professional way…

It is impossible. And when Events are stacked you can choose from “don’t show it” - or “show it on mouseover” - which is impracticable when doing multitrack drums - or you can set to “always show it”. And well, then those Events have stripes on it. The waveforms are not full-black, instead of that they are melting with the Event background.

I can NOT work this way. It is impossible for me to do sampleprecise editing when I can NOT see what is going on.

I am not talking about “transparent events” here - it seems that this will be added later. I am fine here. But PLEASE add the option “use classic event style” or something like that as well.

Here is a screenshot. Its like walking in the fog.

Check the area on the right, which is highlighted - and now inverted. Almost impossible to see anything serious.

+1

Yeah, freakin ugly… :astonished:

And where can I turn this off? Well maybe this will make thinks 5% better. Will not change much though.

Yes, that is deactivated. What you see here is that crosshatched background which indicates that there are other Events in the background. You can disable that, but then you are not able to see anymore if there is audio behind the events. I don’t like that, I need to know if there are takes in the back… In C5 or Nuendo the Events are just “darker” when there is audio behind. Did you checked out C6 by yourself already?

Yes, you are right - in some way the events are getting closer to Nuendo - now they don’t have that bar/balk anymore what gives us more room for the waveform. Like in Nuendo. I would love when it would just be like that. Not more.
Ok, that auto-mouseover fade-handles and stuff are ok, nice option, can make the whole thing little more cleaned up when having bigger projects. Cool. Maybe. But why not just keeping the old and straight forward design?

I just watched the Cubase Video and they said early summer!

Which video? Are you saying early summer for Cubase 6 features getting into Nuendo 5? That’d be absurd!..