OS X: Cubase 7.0.4 performance improvement switch

Works well here, dont see the meter move much at all.

That’s been my experience. I used it at a live event this last weekend, something I wouldn’t have dare done before the fix … operated perfect! :slight_smile:

are you talking about the realtime meter? so you don’t get red lights anymore, right?

Indeed. Yes

cool! in my case I still see that red light from time to time even though the average meter stays quite close to zero…

can you try to open an empty project (just after opening C7)? don’t you get a HUGE spike?

I get a spike when I open a project but that’s it. I’m not sure why that is a big deal though. The switch was designed to remove the 2 to 3 sec spikes we’d experience during playback which in my case it has fixed.

… and honestly i’m not sure i’d even call it a spike. I get a red light on my meter but if it really bugs me I’ll just click on it and it’s removed.

Even with the buffer at 2048 when doing a Realtime Export it stops sometimes…

I do not have hyperthreading on my 2008 8-core mac pro but I’ve found this:

You’ll need to install xcode, then open an app where you can disable hyperthreading.

But you’ll have to do this each time after sleep or restarting the computer.

Lot of hassle but maybe it’s useful for someone with Cubase problems…

Ok, while I’ve played yesterday in Cubase around, I had one or two sound breaks while I was playing my project. Worked for a hour with it. (25 Tracks, half VSTs, half Audio). There is definitely a performance increasing and stabilisation of Cubase, but still not like in C6.5 before.

Hope for further performance updates,
Danke an Helge, I appreciate that Steinberg still works on it!

Hi!

I managed to find the folder and put it into place.
I’m afraid to say that it doesn’t make a difference to my problem. I had a project with about 5-10 channels and it always peaked and everything was very laggy and choppy, so I couldn’t continue that project.

I started a new project which has 21 tracks without using a certain plugin that seems to make the problem worse. But since about 5 minutes ago I have the same problem as with the first project.
I’m starting to think that this isn’t to do with Cubase but rather with my Macbook or that I don’t have an external audio interface. But I used to be able to run projects with like 30 tracks or so in Ableton on this Macbook and never ran into any problems until a while ago.
I haven’t had Cubase for very long so it’s hard to tell whether it is Cubase or whether it’s this Mac/no audio interface.

Regards,

Jeremy

Thank you!!! Finally my Cubase is working on my Osx!!! I worked for hours with no problem at 512 buffer speed! I was using 256 for a while until I had to move my buffer speeds up to 512! Great Job!

Hmmmm… I have a 2007 MacPro with 8 cores. Maybe this Cubase7 issue won’t affect me since I don’t have hyperthreading?

I bought Cubase 7 in the hopes of being able to run it on my MBP early 2011 13" 2.7 core Duo dual core w 8gb ram and every incarnation had the nasty spike. both with my Motu Ultralite & apogee one.
I gave up, Built a PC ( see my signature) and on that although older technology it works amazingly well. so when i saw this thread i figured what the heck, reinstalled Cubase on my MBP and loaded a pretty heavy project id done in Cubase 6. I had o turn the latency down to 1064 but it ran. all be it barely but it worked… started a new project and so far so good @ 256. I still think the smaller MBP main issue is more that the video card shares the ram but at least now i can use it while on the road to , if nothing else get ideas down. havent tried it with the motu yet but have to call this new advance a win

thanks steiny!!!

:wink:

I’ve only had one other major CPU spike which meant I had to quit and restart C7, so there has definitely been an improvement. I’m not so bothered about the red light coming on briefly when opening projects as this doesn’t cause any problems. My 30 day demo expired last night so I won’t be able to test any more. I’ll probably hold off upgrading for the moment, and see how things settle down.

Can’t figure out how to create a .txt file on Mac (TextEdit won’t allow me to) and I can’t download it, says I’m not authorized to download that attachment.

You can open Terminal on your Mac, drop the command below in, and hit return. Presto, properly named txt file right where you need it :slight_smile:

touch ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase\ 7/EnableR7832.txt

Word and Pages both exports .txt files. Probably most other text editors too.

Mountain Lion Text Edit under Format, change to Text only (or sth like that, mine is in German). Than you will get a .txt file.

I think you can also let Text Edit create a regular .rtf file, then change the extension, via File Info.