POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

I am having a problem with Cubase 6 crashing on exit but only if somepoint during the session I use an external controller. It is as if when closing Cubase it is trying to save the current controller settings and failing.
I want to upgrade to Cubase 6.5 but do not want to do this until I have resolved the current problem.
The blue screen crash error is: Page Fault In Non Paged Area
Examples of actions that cause this problem (nb Cubase only crashes on exit well after I have made the controller change)

• Use of learn mode on Novation Zero SLMkII
    Using any control on Novation Zero SLMKII
    Changing anything setting through ASIO control panel for M-Audio FastTrack Pro
    Changing the volume for the M-Audio FastTrack Pro in Windows (rather than via cubase)
    Using Learn function or moving any midi controller button/pot/slider on MAudio Keystation Pro 88

Note that everything else works fine as long as I save before exit I don’t lose anything and I have produced 48 track compositions with no other issues.

What I have tried so far:

• Originally searching KBs highlighted blue screen error as being hardware related. I swapped out memory, then mother board and memory but error persists.
    Cubase forums suggested run as Administrator but error persists.
    Strip down Cubase to a blank project with 1 track problem persists.

Noted that immediately before each crash the following are events are always logged in the event log in the following sequence:

1. INFORMATION LEVEL EVENT FOR SOURCE - USB MIDI SERIES AUDIODEVMON
The description for Event ID 0 from source USB MIDI Series AudioDevMon cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Replacing class driver for Vid: 0x00000A4D Pid: 0x0000008E using INF C:\Program Files\M-Audio\USB MIDI Series\Streaming\MAudioUSBMIDI.inf

2. ERROR LEVEL EVENT FOR DRIVERREPLACER
The description for Event ID 0 from source DriverReplacer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

ExecuteDriverReplacement error (9) calling SetupDiCallClassInstaller

3. ERROR EVENT FOR DRIVERREPLACER
The description for Event ID 0 from source DriverReplacer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Error: 0x00000000 - The operation completed successfully.

OK, cubase crashes on exit for me,even if i just launch cubase,dont open any project.just close it down,and it still crashes. i get the"cubase has stopped working " message.
it is happenning in last few updates.

Now I am crashing not only on exit but also if I try to add an output bus!

Not sure if this helps. Attached MiniDump File (.dmp renamed to .txt). This seems to indicate Cubase Problem.
042712-24663-01.txt (281 KB)

Even the demo version of 6.5.0 hangs on exit. Had it happen when closing a simple project with 2 midi tracks, and no plugins of any kind (opened quickly just to check a feature).

After force quitting, Cubase wouldn’t restart. Restarted Windows, and now it also couldn’t find the elicenser key. I had to unplug it and plug it back in after rebooting the system for the second time. The fact that it lost track of the key has me concerned about Cubase/Steinberg’s copy protection reliability as well now.

Steinberg might want to address issues like this very quickly. Stability is paramount in a pro environment.

I score film/ads for a living and have been considering moving some work back to Cubase from ProTools. However, issues like this will send me right back to ProTools, despite it’s more limited midi capabilities. PT hasn’t crashed in over a year of working 5-7 days a week. I’ve been running the Cubase 6.5 demo for a grand total of 3 days, and it hangs on close about 50% of the time. This system is rock solid, so that isn’t it, and I’m just demoing Cubase with very small projects.

The last one had no plugins of any kind, so it isn’t a 32/64 bit plugin issue either.

If this were a recent issue, it would be one thing. This has been going on across three versions, over three years. If it hasn’t beed fixed yet, it’s because SB haven’t yet hired anyone who knows how.

Ouch. That long? Not very confidence-inducing.

As for the proposed “solutions” of reinstalling USB/interface drivers, midi drivers, etc. These should NOT be a problem - esp. when there are no “inexpensive” devices or suspect drivers or 3rd party plugins on the system.

No other DAW on this system I’m using to demo C6.5 has a problem - PT9/10, Sequoia, etc all open and close (and run) without a single issue, and always have. Same audio/midi drivers, midi controllers, updated Syncro drivers, MS C++ installs, etc.

No matter, I’ll head back to PT and maybe give Digital Performer 8 a go when it’s released. After all these years of giving Steinberg the benefit of the doubt, nothing has changed. Feature additions continue to trump stability. Too bad really. They have some great ideas in there. But it’s their responsibility to take reports like this seriously without requiring users to find a the problem for them.

Changed to using ASIO4ALL now stable and no crashes for 24hours!

So my problem was MAudio Drivers fro FastTrack Pro

In my case, Cubase 6.5 hangs on exit whenever I start it up with the Midisport 8x8 active (switched on). With the drivers for this unit not being really up to date for Win7, and no chance of that happening, I take it as a fact of life. Most of my projects are without MIDI (more precisely, without external hardware synths), so I usually can do without the Midisport…

I think this thread also shows that the causes for Cubase hanging on exit are very diverse. I can understand Cubase waiting for a reply of some sort from a driver when exiting as was mentioned as a cause. But then I think a certain time-out in that process could be programmed in - with a dialog to the user mentioning the cause of the hang and the option to exit anyway. Could be something easier said than done - I don’t know…

Some random hangs here - the bigger the project, the more it happens. That’s the only pattern I could find so far.

as i said,cubase hangs on exit for me,even if i just start cubase,dont load a project,then exit. it hangs.

@diogo_cme

Check the other post you posted in.

There is no Cubase “full” 6.5.2

This needs to be in front of Steinberg until it is fixed.

It may not be a showstopper for most, but when working quickly, especially with multiple applications, this is very time-consuming. Here it requires a system reboot most every time Cubase hangs as the process can’t be killed in task manager.

Quite unprofessional that an application can’t even shut down correctly, and quickly. Even worse that this has been a problem for several years.

The last bug I reported to Avid with ProTools was fixed in 2 months, and it was a rather serious issue that only affected composers, yet Avid took it seriously and fixed it very quickly. That’s how a pro company operates. Are you listening Steinberg?

Changing compatibility mode to Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) stops cubase crashing on exit here.

i tried the vista compatibility mode and works for me too.
im not a tech head,so could someone tell me if there is any disadvantage using this?

Mac OS X Lion here, running the latest Cubase 6.0 in 64-bit. I think I’ve found the source of the problem. It’s the 32-bit bridge. If I close any VSTs that are 32-bit before quitting Cubase, it closes nice and neat (AND pretty quickly).

Maybe that solved it for you on OSX, but it isn’t the cause. As noted earlier I’ve had projects hang on exit with no plugins at all. Can’t possibly be the 32-bit bridge. I’m pretty sure all of my plugins are 64-bit anyway.

Also to note, enabling Vista SP2 compatibility mode significantly slows down save times. It was quick before. Now takes several seconds to save. I don’t consider that an improvement or workaround.

I work in 64 bit Windows 7, and have had reproducible instances of C6 hanging on exit, with blue screens on shut down or restart. Today I did a windows update that had a fix for Silverlight, and now everything works A-OK. I’ve closed C6 and restarted Windows several times without incident. Specifics on the windows update are as follows.

Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2636927)

Installation date: ‎5/‎9/‎2012 7:24 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

This security update to Silverlight includes fixes outlined in KBs 2681578 and 2636927 . This update is backward compatible with web applications built using previous versions of Silverlight.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=105787

Glad that the Silverlight update worked for you, but I’m guessing it simply updated some more common library or path that Cubase couldn’t handle. Perhaps that will work here and for others as well.

I find it rather disturbing that to exit gracefully Cubase seems to require making any one of a list of unrelated and random OS or 3rd party application updates while tilting one’s head sideways on Tuesday the day after a full moon.

It really shouldn’t be this convoluted. This leaves Cubase falling quite short of pro-level reliability, even for just midi use in a ProTools facility.

Whoopsie. Got another one. C6 exit went to wait state, then after a few minutes I got a BS with a page fault in non-paged area. I’ll try taking this to the seven forums. Maybe Torrent G or someone else can help ID the drivers involved.

Does anyone know if Steinberg has undertaken any investigative help? I also run SONAR here. It and the rest of the installed apps are completely stable. To my knowledge, this wasn’t a problem before Cubase v6.5 .