Reason 10 "engine not responding" ReWire error w/Cubase 5 (64bit)

Some weeks ago my old PC died, so I bought a new one with the following specs:

Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 8GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Audio interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Cubase version: 5.0.1

I already have Cubase 5, which thankfully installed comfortably on the new machine (gave me a choice between 32 or 64-bit and I went for the latter).

I also purchased Reason 10 in the past week. The box says that Windows 7 or later 64-bit is a requirement so I’m going to assume it installed 64-bit as well (and everywhere says you need to be running both 32 or both 64 for ReWire to work, so we can presumably discount that as an issue here).

Both programs work fine on their own I want to use Reason ReWire to Cubase (Cubase being the host) as I’ve done in the past.

However, the first problem I had was no Reason ReWire option showed under Cubase > Devices. This it seemed is a common issue and there were a number of solutions ranging from very simple ones to messing with registry files.

After a trawl of the internet, I eventually found this thread from this forum:

I did exactly what user ‘drooh’ did in that third from last post (except my files aren’t situated in the x86 folder but the other one).

So in good faith I went into:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software\ReWire

I right-clicked ReWire.dll and clicked Copy, then pasted it here:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5

I went back into this folder:

…and deleted the ReWire.dll there, except it had a blue and yellow shield icon next to Delete and Rename but I clicked yes when it was all “blah blah need permission” etc so it seemed at the time like it was deleted, no problem.

I can now see the Reason ReWire option in Cubase > Devices and that brings up the channel selector, like it should. However, when I try to open Reason, after about 15 seconds or so I get the error “Engine not responding. Please check your ReWire host.”

I Googled this with plenty of results, most of them saying along the lines of what Propellerheads tell you to do:
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/user/reason/rewire/alert-engine-not-responding-when-using-rewire-with-cubase/

“Release Driver when Application is in Background” is already deselected, so no luck there.

What is weird though, is that I went back to this folder:

…and ReWire.dll was still there – tried deleting it again, still there. Perhaps there’s some additional thing you need to do to delete a DLL file (e.g. change permissions settings) but then again I don’t know if I’m actually supposed to delete it to begin with, if I was meant to copy it, move/copy it a different location(s) (e.g. system32) or if indeed this is to do with ReWire.dll at all.

I right-click on Properties of ReWire.dll (the one in Common Files) and it says it’s version 2.6.4, which is later than the v1.7 ReWire.dll you can download from the Propellerheads site which the download page says you don’t need if you have Reason 4 or later anyway.

I have also searched my system for ReWire.dll to check there weren’t additional instances lurking and there’s just the two (the original and the copy in their respective locations as above). Cubase and Reason are both still working fine on their own.

I am holding fire on taking any action downloading/moving/copying/deleting any more files until getting advice, in case I mess anything up. I have contacted Propellerheads via their email query form but as with most manufacturers, I am not holding out much hope for a response.

I read some thread on here about Cubase 5 and 64-bit ReWire support issue, on the off-chance it’s relevant (hopefully not):

Hard to tell what it is.

Any help? Fingers crossed it’s a simple fix but prepared for the fact it might not be!