Recording system audio into cubase using loopback

This seems like it should be easy, but I’m not getting it.

I’m trying to record the audio from a YouTube video into Cubase 10.5 pro using the loopback function on the UR816c.

The sticking point seems to be that there is no way to route the “system audio” to whatever inputs you would use to assign to record into a channel.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Chris

Try to set the interface as default audio device so that the system audio plays through it.

Windows or Mac?
Version ?

Yep. System audio is playing through the outputs of the interface.

I just can’t seem to select any inputs on the record-armed track that will be able to record those outputs.

Chris

Windows 10.
Cubase Pro 10.5

ASIO Link Pro (now free) will provide the patch-bay required to route audio among WDM, ASIO apps, and optionally - streams on your local/LAN/WAN network. It should work with any audio interface that has ASIO Drivers.

If your audio device doesn’t have native ASIO drivers you’ll also need something like ASIO4ALL.

Step 1. Install and Configure ASIO Link Pro to use your preferred audio interface (Directly if it has ASIO drivers, or via ASIO4ALL if not).

Step 2. Configure ASIO Link Pro to multi-client status. Enable the LOOPER loopback racks (needed if you want to route between multiple ASIO based hosts).

Step 3. Use the windows settings panel to direct your browser to send audio to one of the 4 ASIOVADPRO devices.

Step 4. Launch Cubase.

Set Cubase to use the ASIO Link Pro device.
Studio Setup/Audio System

Connect the Cubase mixer busses you wish to monitor from to the ASIO Link channels you wish to use. You can have up to 64 inputs, and anything can be routed into them via ASIO Link. Your audio device, other ASIO apps, or your 4 ASIOVADPRO WDM virtual cables.

In my case, I’ll be using the control room to monitor and it connects straight to a set of Equator D5 powered monitors that are connected to outputs 1&2 on my Delta 1010 interface. Since 1&2 leads straight to my Delta 1010, where my monitors are connected, I won’t need to route anything in the main asiolinktool.exe instance.

Tap F4

Also set up inputs from ASIO Link of your choosing to record from. You can have up to 64. I’ll keep it simple here and just set up two on channels 1&2. I also have a set of ear cans plugged into outputs 7 & 8 on the Delta 1010 I’d like to use from the control room…

Note: the first ASIO Driver Out Mix channels in the main asiolinktoo.exe instance of ASIO Link Pro will usually go directly to your audio card outputs. In my case the Delta 1010 has 12 outputs (1-8, plus Stereo SPDIF, plus a live monitor/mix)…beyond that I can use ASIO outputs for a variety of other purposes.

If I’d used a high channel for my Control Room outputs beyond what my audio card addresses, then I’d need to connect them in the main asiolinktool.exe panel (again, a green icon in system tray).

Say I’d used channels 33 & 34 instead of 1 & 2 for my control room routing…then I’d conntect 33 & 34 ASIO Driver Out Mix pins to LOOPER OUT 33 & 34, then connect the LOOPER IN pins 33 & 34 tto the respective ASIO Driver Out Mix pins for my Delta 1010 outputs.

Step 6. This time find the Cubase instance of ASIO Link Pro in your system tray (green icon again).

Connect the appropriate ASIOVADPRO Speakers In ports to the ASIO inputs you want to use in Cubase.

Now Audio is routed from Firefox into Cubase. The Cubase Control room is routed to my Delta 1010 where I can monitor.

Oh, I almost forgot. Sometimes stuff comes in 6 or 8 channels…it’s possible to mix it all down to a single stereo pair from here, or you could set up more inputs (or even a surround sound bus) in Cubase.

So the key to getting this working is to remember that when working in the ‘multiclient’ mode, you connect your outputs to the actual audio interface in the asiolink.exe instance.

You can also connect ASIOVADPRO SPEAKERS IN here in the main asiolinktool.exe instance for live monitoring purposes. It’s also where you’ll take care of setting up network streams.

You connect your inputs in the ASIO Link Pro instance for the HOST/DAW you’d like to route things INTO. If you want to route among ASIO apps then you’ll use the LOOPER feature (usually on higher channels) from the main asiolink.exe instance, and then route it into the HOST/DAW(s) of your choice using their associated system tray instances of ASIO Link Pro.

Bump, since I went back and overhauled the mini tutorial.

If you turn on loopback the system audio (all audio playing through the interface) should be on first 2 inputs.