Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00338ec2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

unable to stop the application - reboot was only way to fix.

I assume this was some kind of write-permission, unable to write the peak files to the DVD ? copied to file to the desktop and it opened (right click - open with) with a similar crash - and says “unable to create peak file” - although a peak file is created. When you quit the program you get a crash on exit

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WaveLab 7.exe
Application Version: 7.1.0.543
Application Timestamp: 4d9ec229
Fault Module Name: NewHeap_w32.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d9ec0c9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00002d51
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

when you reopen wavelab it remembers you tried to open the file and reloads it fine - complete with peak file.

seems to me like some kind of problem creating gpk files - and it seems to have different behaviour if you open file from a writeprotected medium (DVD) and if you use the rightclick>openwith rather than ctrl-o

behaviour seems to change if you open files a few times - I assume wavelab is caching something

help !

When a media is protected, WaveLab writes the peak file elsewhere.
I just tried it, and it works. So ignore why there is a problem in your case.
For performance reasons, it’s never a good idea to access audio from optical media. You should copy the file to your HD to solve the problem.

As I mentioned I copied the file to the desktop and also gave problems

I’d suggest it’s a similar issue to:

and:

also looks similar

So the problem is certainly in the file header. The file header has a problem that WaveLab can’t handle properly (?). If you can make this file available somewhere, I can have a look.

it’s possible that it’s something in the header - but that shouldn’t force a system crash ?

I’ll PM regarding sending the .wav

When something is bad in the header, WaveLab normally recovers from it. But there are maybe cases that were not seen before and that WaveLab does not handle properly.

the behaviours does seem inconsistent - and seems to be related to the peak files (IMO !)

when copied to the desktop the files do open some of the time ? and as I mentioned I get “unable to create peak file” error occasionally.

I’ll try to get a more reliable repro.

PG can open file correctly.

Just to confirm my repro:

fresh install win7 pro - 64bit - running as admin - no UAC - random nvidia card with latest drivers

file downloaded to desktop - without gpk file. Wavelab is closed

right click to open with wavelab

I get peak file error “Cannot create peak file” - and no peak file is created

if I then open the file from the file browser in the top left window

all looks fine and peak file is created ok

close the file and all still looks ok

when I then quit wavelab

As the peak file has been created the next time I open the file it works without error.

problem seems to lie in peak file creation ?

Sometimes if I use the rightclick to open a wav without a gpk file I get a crash on opening (QtGui4.dll) and I’m left with this greyed out crashed screen

you can see it’s started to build the waveform and there is a 0byte .gpk file created

only option here is to reboot

Still can’t reproduce. Does the same happen with another file? Does the same if you put the file not on your Desktop?

yes, happens on another drive/folder
happens with another random file created by cubase - although welcome.wav doesn’t generate the error. . . but also doesn’t generate a gpk - I assume it’s too short ?

As per other thread, doesn’t happen if gpk exists

Behaviour is different if you use the open wavelab using right-click on .wav > open with. File browser in already open wavelab tends to be more successful.

Sometimes you WL starting to generate the waveform and it draws about the first 10 seconds very quickly then gives the “Cannot create peak file” error - possibly when it starts to write the gpk with the disk.

All disks are all NTFS - permissions all look fine. Wavelab 6 works fine - never had any problems with it, in fact I’ve bought/used every version since v1.5 and never had any issues with previous versions.

This could be a disk problem. Try to run the Windows disk error utility on your drive.

Yes, welcome.wav is too short. Try with long files.

As I said, other longer files give same errors. Not a disk write problem. Occurs on 3 disks, all of them show no chkdisk errors. No filesystem/bad sector probs.

Peak files are created near the audio files, or in a separate folder (Audio File Workspace preferences). If they are created in a different folder (are they?), is this path really valid? Check Options > Edit folders.

Peak files are created in same folder as the audio file. As you can see it does write the file correctly if you open the file by using the file browser.

I will have to think about this…
If you drag from Explorer and drop to WaveLab, does it work or not?

a drag and drop from explorer has the same result as right-click > open with.

In summary:

When there is no gpk file - using explorer or open-with gives either a crash or a “cannot create peak file” error and crash on exit. Using file browser in wavelab creates the gpk file fine and seems to work ok BUT give crash on exit.

when there is a gpk file - all works fine however you open the file.

All that is very strange, because internally, these methods are similar. The only difference I see, is that with “Open with” and “Drag and drop”, there is more interaction with Windows, before the files are open. Therefore there must be something in your Windows settings, or an installed utility, that is making WaveLab in a bad state, when this happen. I have no other clue.

I’ve very few applications installed on this pc - no virus scanner, no background utilities - just the core audio stuff

Hard to know what is specific to my pc - although it does seem others are having ‘similar’ problems…and it’s possible you wouldn’t notice if you only opened files within wavelab…you’d just get a crash on exit, which I notice some people seem to be getting.

As the error seems to be QT gui related it could be graphics driver related ? Does wavelab write the gpk file then display or is this done concurrently. Nvidia put out new drivers every week or so ! I could try an update although the currently installed drivers are only about a month old. Do you have the older nokia QT dlls that I could try ?

updated graphics card driver - no change

tried running in winxp sp2/3 compatibility mode - no change

tried running as administrator (even though I’m logged on as admnistrator) - no change

rolled back to 7.01 - no change

reinstalled 7.1 - no change

There’s definately something strange going on :confused:

system spec
win7 64bit
sandybridge p67 - 2600k
16gig memory
RME raydat