Session View or Clip Launcher in Cubase like Bitwig/Ableton

Yeah I started the thread for people to say why they’d want to see it implemented and how’d they’d use it. Original post was in the hope it wouldn’t turn in a popcorn thread but it always happen whenever anything ableton/bitwig session view comes up :weary: :joy:

Never occurred to me you could use it as you mentioned, interesting to know, thanks for contributing :+1:

2 Likes

Please, I say this with all respect, just go use Ableton and Bitwig if a clip launcher is so central to your “musical” workflow. I’m not stuck in the 90’s. I just want to see Cubase become the musician’s premier songwriting and compositional tool. Let the DJs and non-musicians use Ableton or Bitwig (this coming from someone who composes a lot of EDM).

1 Like

IF YOU WANT THE FEATURES OF ABLETON OR BITWIG USE ONE OR BOTH OF THOSE PROGRAMS!

What part of this do you not understand?

1 Like

Bit busy so I’ll read your posts later guys, hopefully it contains something we’ve not heard a number of times before and Ill make a direct response.

In the meantime though. Just have to say, I don’t take anything online serious because it’s just not real, Twitter is a fine example. I don’t fully understand what “trolling” is but I’m gonna take an educated guess, it looks something like this :thinking: :joy:

Tim_Dillon started a thread on here called

The one thing I want from this OTHER DAW"

So do we see any ego or arrogance from anyone saying “just go use the other DAW if you want that feature”?
This thread is about ONE feature too, Session View/Clip Launcher, what does he contribute for us? :poop:

Is he as overly concerned about the coding time to take the features, HE WANTS, and integrate them into cubase? :thinking:

Is anyone taking way too much time and energy to put him and a whole generation of creatives down as non- musicians in his thread? :thinking:

Is anyone claiming he’s not a real musician for needing the “crutch” of ProTools: Multitrack Drum Time Correction/Stretching/Editing or Logic: Floating Velocity Nodes? :thinking:
JUST GO USE PRO TOOLS DUDE, not a helpful comment is it. Somehow it is when coming from a person who clearly thinks they’re better than people who make and consume music they don’t like.

Is anyone here saying cubase is no good without a Clip Launcher? :thinking:
Has anyone said they can’t make music in cubase without one, or are they saying it will boost creativity in cubase :thinking:

We could go on, but it’s fairly obvious by now.
Some people are just about me, myself and I. There’s even a “listen to your elders” response from this dude on here :astonished:

Please, anyone else that shares these off base me, myself and I world views, at least read the OP before you chime in.

4 Likes

I’m not the one asking for it lol. It’s not something I’d actively seek to use, and would rather see other fixes for my personal benefit (As I’ve written above).

However, I don’t discount it’s worth to other users - I could see the feature being added as a very good attraction to use Cubase, along with it’s current feature set. Would I use it? Maybe - It would be interesting for live use and lighting rigs which I use Ableton for.

Will I shout in full caps at people for appreciating it’s benefit? Nah.

Outside of all this child play, read the OP - they made it clear it was to be discussion about the feature, not a debate on it’s “Worth” or people gatekeeping.

What part of that do you not understand?

1 Like

Cubase can already loop, stretch and rearrange via the arranger track, there’s also loopmash. So only features that are already within cubase are allowed to be discussed and desired hey :thinking:
OK, right, so exactly how is this thread different to yours again? :thinking: :joy: :joy:

We could all go onto your thread and say exactly everything you’ve said here Tim, as it would apply would it not? But we’ve obviously chosen not to because, exactly what would that achieve :+1:

Anyone notice that you never hear a drum n bass producer saying stop making new features for bass players and phase on drum kit mics, we don’t need it, we’re non-musician ITB producers.
You never hear a hip hop producers saying stop wasting coding time on auto drum track aligning, we program our drums and we don’t want that crap, people can go use Pro Tools for that.
You never hear a House or EDM producer saying we don’t want wasted resources going into floating velocities and Pro Tools like multitrack features because we don’t know music see, we just drag a vengeance loop in and we’re done :raised_hands:

Did you look at the videos I posted above of bands using session view to make on the fly spontaneous arrangements of their songs whilst performing live, obviously not.
Continue to limit yourself and your music with limited me myself and I thinking, knock yourself out.

3 Likes

This type of attitude always seems to come from the same types doing the same type of music. What’s crazy is the people who were hating all the music in the 90s because they were around in the 60s and 70s, hated all the music from the 90s :joy: :joy: :joy:. No offence but this happens to the people who are mentally choosing, I said choosing, to think old and bitter in every generation. The next generation don’t know shizzle and they’re into crap music, nah, you’re just stuck in the past and don’t get current trends. Amazing music is being made today, just takes a bit more effort to seek it out.

2 Likes

Anyone else out there who would use session view to do anything we’ve not discussed here already?

2 Likes

I would love a session view as a sketch pad for ideas. I can only work linearly. It’s what I’m used to. But to have a session view sketch pad on the side is super helpful in the creative process of working out ideas and variations to a chorus or verse etc. It’s a versatile and useful tool for ANY genre. It often results in enhanced levels of creativity within song composition and structure, and cubase should absolutely go down this path.

All the mechanics are in place already via the arrangement track, timestretch, mediabay etc.

In the meanwhile for those that would like that tool, I would suggest using the arranger track. It’s a very cut down version of what session view could be like however helps immensely in trialling new compositional structures. It’s obviously much slower to use than ableton session view as it doesn’t have that full implementation, but the arranger track chain page effectively provides similar, albeit in a rudimentary form. And also in a top down vertical layout as opposed to left right as in all the other daws.

2 Likes

I would probably use it. It’s find its a convenient way to handle repetitive things like drum parts, bass and block chords and keep the basic ones out of the way and then just add and edit on the timeline. I do this in Bitwig all the time and would probably do it in Cubase too.

But I would prefer if Steinberg DID NOT put their energy into this for all the reasons stated above. Something else would suffer or not get done. One of the big selling points of Cubase is as the premier composition tool and they should of course play to their strengths.

As @Tim_Dillon points out: it’s just not the clip launcher. It’s a whole paradigm in a program that implies certain ways of working and it encompasses all parts from how it looks to how it rolls.

Cubase just isn’t the DAW that does this. It would sway exactly zero people from Live and Bitwig and rather lose key customers like scorers because the software would take a hit in all other places.

Unless of course Steinberg does what Apple did and do some simple version and everyone’s happy anyway. But then we’re not talking true non-linear, live oriented workflow anyway but just a fancy way to repeat certain parts according to a script.

3 Likes

As I see it:
In a marketing sense, Bitwig/Ableton etc. are actively taking steps into Cubase’s domain (Comping, MPE/Expression data control recently added), you’d imagine ARA2 will be within the next iterations.

At that point, Cubase’s attraction as a secondary ‘finishing’ DAW is diminishing, particularly when you have Studio One over the other shoulder with it’s unique mastering tools.

They’re dropping the dongle (At considerable cost) which gives them access to a wider market. I fail to believe some implementation on clip launching isn’t already on the table, as they are historically a compositional DAW and therefore need to be competitive in those areas. Not to mention they are in a privileged position to see what works and what doesn’t.

Don’t see them pushing in other directions so hard, as their own products exist already (Nuendo/Wavelab).

I too would prefer for other features (Mainly fixes) to be a priority, but people’s wages need to be paid, and that only happens with increased revenue if they’re to continually progress the software.

This was mentioned in a previous post. But it’s worth reiterating:

Live and Bitwig were designed from the ground up to offer “live arranging” as a core feature of each program. The central paradigm of both programs is to provide the ability to launch clips in an interactive manner to try out different song arrangements on the fly or to “jam” with clips just for fun.

This is not how Cubase was designed. It started out as a MIDI sequencer with audio recording added later. There was never any concept of “clips” being triggered as a tool for live performance (e.g., DJ sets) or for people who can’t, for whatever reason, work in a linear fashion.

If these “Session View” and “Clip Launcher” capabilities were to be tacked on to Cubase what would become of the Arranger Track and LoopMash? These would most likely need to be retained for backwards compatibility reasons. So now you would have multiple features that sort of do the same thing.

Thus, Cubase becomes the Microsoft Word of the DAW world with hundreds of features that no one ever uses because the Product Managers and Engineers couldn’t commit to a vision for the program to keep it understandable and lean.

Cubase should be the premier MIDI and audio linear recording tool for serious songwriters and professional composers. That’s the vision.

So what, Apple added a similar feature and nobody is running away from Logic, so did MOTU with DP. Why take this to an extreme in over thinking rooted in selfish arrogance.

Ok, have you used bitwig or studio one? If so you know with bitwig that if you want to jam out ideas with clips, you press tab and you get the launcher on the left. Don’t want to do that, cool, don’t press tab and create from left to right, no looping just linear workflow.

Studio one has the sketch pad which opens up on the right. I’m sure at some point that’ll be a clip launcher, will that ruin studio one and totally changed the program? Well did Logic or DP totally change? :exploding_head:
Did studio one totally change with the sketch pad or is it a case that it’s there if you enable it otherwise it’s the exact same layout and everything else it has always been until you enable it :thinking:

Lastly, stop trolling with the “non musicians” and “serious song writer” talk, nobody wants to bite as we all know many top writers use all of the daws out there to make amazing music. There’s a thread several pages long called why I hate Ableton or something similar, tons of folk like you on there. As the saying goes, Google is your friend, have fun :wink:

Your failing to grasp the simple concept that adding a Session View and clip launcher means that more important, often requested features of Cubase will not implemented for the foreseeable future because Steinberg will be too busy fixing bugs associated with adding something so fundamental as a Session View and will need to refine the v1 live arranging features to be competitive with Ableton or Bitwig.

I would be willing to bet that most Cubase users (yes, the serious songwriters and professional composers) will not be willing to sacrifice all these other requested usability enhancements and program refinements for a Session View.

Again, go use Ableton or Bitwig if that’s what you want.

You know this for sure because you’re secretly a Steinberg dev right?
So this doesn’t apply to say for example the modulation features that you said in another thread you want to have from bitwig, no :thinking: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Serious song writers and musicians embrace different ways to be creative bud, they don’t shoot down only the ones associated with the music they look down their arrogant noses at :wink:
Again for the last time, have you been online and looked at what musicians of all types are doing with session view?
Take this feature away from Ableton or bitwig and they’re just another left to right daw lacking in tons of audio features, something cubase isn’t.

So I suppose the people over at Apple are amongst the dumbest in business and software creation going by your Logic, pun intended :thinking:
Either that or you feel the people at Steinberg are dumb and can’t achieve what Apple or MOTU have without totally changing cubase when Logic and DP are the exact same daws with an extra way to create ideas built in :astonished:

I don’t care if this sounds elitist, but honestly who gives a sh!t about Drum ‘n’ Bass, Hip Hop, or EDM producers? These “artists” are not the core customers for a program like Cubase. It’s time to stop catering to the lowest common denominator and make Cubase “the premier MIDI and audio recording tool for serious songwriters and professional composers.”

Oh, btw, my piano playing skills are absolute crap at the moment after letting them atrophy over the past 10 years. But I recently bought an 88 note weighted key electronic piano to start practicing again. I am also working with my composition instructor to extend my knowledge of music theory and song craft. I consider myself a “serious songwriter” because I am dedicated to improving my musical skills and knowledge.

Dude this is pure comedy, :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
Definitely not taking you seriously now as all previous reply’s were just being courteous for the sake of a conversation on this topic.
Really didn’t want a popcorn thread but you and Tim couldn’t help yourselves. :popcorn:
You can see from my OP, I knew this was always going to happen :sleeping:

Last time I’m going to respond to you in particular because this last post of yours, says it all really. Ok, so I’m guessing you don’t have any songs that you wrote yourself that don’t sound like pots and pans?
So let’s forget asking you to post you own masterpiece global hits and simply ask this, who are the REAL musicians and REAL song writers you can tell us about, Sting? Peter Gabrelle?
Better do your home work before you respond, which I doubt you will, because I might be lining you up here. Don’t slip up like Tim did on Aphex Twin fella :hushed: :wink:

“who gives a sh!t about Drum ‘n’ Bass, Hip Hop, or EDM producers?”
Funny as F, seems like I read you way back in this thread totally wrong, didn’t I Music_Maven :lying_face::joy: :joy: :joy:

This says it all: Ableton had to develop its own “keyboard for dummies” Push controller because Live users couldn’t even be arsed to figure out how to play simple chords from a standard keyboard. Like I said, lowest common denominator.

I’m weirdly entertained by this, I feel ashamed to say it, but I am :popcorn: :joy:

So for the second time,
I’m guessing you don’t have any songs that you wrote yourself that don’t sound like pots and pans?
So let’s forget asking you to post you own masterpiece global hits and simply ask this, who are the REAL musicians and REAL song writers you can tell us about, Sting? Peter Gabrelle?
Better do your home work before you respond, which I doubt you will, because I might be lining you up here. Don’t slip up like Tim did on Aphex Twin fella :hushed: :wink:

You’re the one making the absurd claim that adding a clip launcher to Cubase will “unleash your innate creativity.” So why don’t you post a video showing how this is done. Or are you too embarrassed by the absence of any musical instruments in your “studio” (i.e., bedroom).