Soft-eLicenser failure after GFX card change

Just changed my GFX card today and upon launching Cubase (any version) I get this:

“Your system finger print is not valid anymore.
The systems’ hardware configuration has been changed!
Soft-eLicenser ‘SeL Nr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’ and stored licenses have been disabled.
Hardware eLicensers are not affected!”

I press OK and then I get this

“Soft-eLicenser ‘SeL Nr. xxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxx’ and stored licenses have been disabled.
Hardware eLicensers are not affected!”

My Cubase license is on a hardware dongle thankfully so is not affected and Cubase opens fine.

I cannot even remember if I have any active licenses on the Soft-eLicenser at this time, but I’m not prepared to do what is suggested somewhere and just delete the Soft part of the licenser.

I’ve read this thread:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58997

and this:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/program-installation-does-not-create-a-soft-elicenser/

…and followed all the suggestions including uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of the eLicenser from the eLicenser site here:

It doesn’t help.

I’ve tried to do the repair function in the menus, but it is greyed out permanently.

Routine maintenance of the databases doesn’t help, nor does reboot.

My Cubase is working but I have an ugly message every time I lauch it warning me of this failure, and I don’t like licensing software going ape on me, so does anyone know the solution to fix this?

Regards,

I finally found the solution to this for both PC and Mac:

https://vsl.co.at/community/posts/t28239-eLIcenser-issue--I-have-a-deactivated-Soft-eLicenser-which-I-cant-remove-after-buying-new-MAC#post183538

Hope this helps someone to have less hassle than I had!

Cheers,

Thanks for the heads up! Haven’t had the issue but sure was wondering what the solution would be.

Seems like ancient technology when a simple hardware change (very common) should throw its world into free fall.

Thanks again!!!

So after specifying in your first post that you weren’t prepared to delete the soft licenser you finally found the solution to delete the soft elicenser. :wink:

Yes, the difference being that I was able to look at the registrations at Steinberg.net and see that I had no licenses on the Soft-eLicenser, so deleting it was not a problem. :slight_smile: