Song Starter / Japan Relief

Cool. I understand. I’ll also give a list of my software when I post the song skeleton for reference. I don’t use too much that is far off the charts of a “normal” set of plugs.

If you buy a song to help Japan then before any money goes to Japan the some expenses have to be taken out.

Why not just send money to Japan and avoid those expenses? IOW Japan gets more money. And more importantly it gets it there quicker.

The other thing about just sending money to Japan, is that Japan hasn’t got to wait around for some song to be written, recorded, mixed, mastered, printed, publicised, marketed, sold etc.

Doesn’t seem a very efficient way of helping people to me.

I’m not trying to denigrate anyone’s empathies here, I’m just looking at it from a practical POV.

Do you think anything about what is happening is Japan is going to be fixed by “practical” measures only. Or is it more logical to think “any” measures, could help…

Please see my post in

for my personal view on your responses thus far.

Well it’s certainly not going to be fixed by impractical measures.

Writing a song for Japan is only about attending to your own emotional response to the disaster. It’s only going to help you. Not them.

Sending them some money or going out there and physically helping them will do some real good, which is what they need right now.

How is writing a song going to help them? A genuine and serious question.

A disaster of this magnitude is not going to go away in a few weeks, or even months. Writing a song, and coordinating this effort with some well planned and well played methods, can bring in more money to the relief effort than I could ever give by myself (this may include others as well… but that is just an assumption). This is my best effort to make a difference. That’s really all it is. I have some familiarity with coordinating events, and I feel that I can do more good in this way than sending them $20 and calling it a day.

As I said in the other thread, Paul asks a reasonable question that deserves a reply. In all honesty, I feel it’s too immediate upon the events to react in an artistic way. I realize this is human nature, however, you feel helpless and want to DO something.

That’s why I’m a bit dubious about those celebrity telethons that mix what I guess you’d call “entertainment” with requests for donations. I can’t really knock them – George Clooney used his considerable fame to raise more money for Haiti than I myself could ever conjure – I applaud that. But there’s something wrong with society when we feel we need our pantheon of deities otherwise known as “the stars” to coax us to action.

They really need your $20 far more than you sweating away in your studio offloading your emotional reaction to this disaster onto a multi-track digital project.

Of course writing a song isn’t going to bring in more money for the people of Japan. People who are going to send money to Japan are going to want all their money to goto Japan. They are not going to want their money minus the cost of some perfunctory song they’ll never play to go to Japan.

Why not just go out on streets and ask people for money for japan? You can then send that money to Japan and do some real good

Indeed. George Clooney didn’t bother creating some piece of art for the cause, he just asked people to contribute.

Reacting in an artistic way is just attending to one’s own emotional response to the disaster. it’s not actually helping the real victims. As Doug says it’s a feeling of helplessness, so doing anything whether it actually helps them or not helps address that feeling of helplessness.

And while we’re on the subject… why is the world so organized that money is required? I mean, this implies that somebody is getting paid to either help or provide materiel to the relief effort… why can’t THOSE bastards DONATE whatever it is they’re making a profit on? Am I way off on this?

I’m not talking about reconstruction – that’s a different issue. I’m just talking about relief efforts in the near term.

Don’t get me wrong – I am NOT in favor of the State passing laws that say “When necessary, we can and will requisition your goods and/or services to provide disaster relief” but it would be nice if businesses and corporations could freely provide such things when needed.

I know some of the big corporations DO donate funds for such efforts. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they also happened to make BIG profits when the govt purchases their goods, both before and after the fact

You have misjudged me. This is the best way I feel I can contribute. But feeling helpless? Not really. There is no need nor any reason to feel helpless. It’s just an emotion and will get everyone nowhere. I don’t waste my time feeling helpless because of events that will inevitably occur anyway…

I am just as saddened by their situation as anyone. But feeling helpless is ultimately self defeating.

To coordinate an event, and make any money at all is not only assisting those in need, but it is also a challenge to myself. A force, a shock… a wake up call. A signpost to evolve. You know… reach into the unknown and all that sort of stuff. :slight_smile:

See, that’s what you get when you pretend to by psychic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, sorry… when I wrote “you” I didn’t necessarily mean YOU John, just meant “you” in general, like when the French use the pronoun “on”

I feel somewhat helpless, however. But I’m praying, “Lord, those guys who have gone back into the reactor are basically sacrificing their lives in an attempt to save their fellow man – honor them by helping them succeed, so their sacrifice won’t be in vain.”

I know he’ll do it

Obviously Paul speaks from personal experience! :wink:

John, please don’t be discouraged by cynics, sh_i_t tossers and curmudgeons.
What you’re doing here is a good thing. Making music is what some of us do. It’s a universal language,
it moves people, and these kind of tragedies tend to bring us together to channel our creative
energy into an expression of our grief and empathy, and maybe raise a few bucks for the victims.
(and it’s ‘felt’ by more than just the people directly involved in the project)
Why would anyone assume that the folks involved in these projects aren’t already donating all the
money they can spare? -OF COURSE they need our money now! I’d have thought that would go without saying.
What has that got to do with us expressing our sorrow in the best way we know how?? Thousands have already died in Japan. NO amount of money is going to bring them back. I’d like to think that survivors who’ve lost love ones might get some small comfort in knowing that people the world over are expressing their sorrow, and are ‘with them’ in a spiritual sense.
It’s beyond me that anyone would, on a music forum of all places, attempt to discourage you from writing a song about it, and bringing other people on board to share in it.
I suppose in this age of rationality and skepticism, it’s not just religion that needs to be shunned, but also
the sending out of good vibes, lighting of candles, expressions of grief, art and poetry should also be dismissed
as ‘impractical’.

BTW - John, the snippet you posted felt right to me for this type of song.

Reading the comments from some in this thread, while not incorrect, are disheartening. To the extent that you’ve somewhat discouraged me from being involved. Will we be seen to be fools now?

Let me ask this… Do you really think your apparent negativity, even if that is just our perception, is helpful? And did you actually start another topic called “Don’t do a song for the cause, just send money to Japan”, to suggest that we should avoid wasting our time… Does not appear to be the case. Instead, you seem to want to deflate a positive effort, by soap-boxing in this topic which in my opinion, is low.

I respect everyone’s right to their beliefs, and I respect your tenure here, but by inserting your version of “reality” into this topic, you are judging someone’s genuine attempt at positive energy, and bringing it down.

Just sayin’.

And its just my opinion.

< Lenny beat me to it!>>

Just got this from a friend,

According to Oxfam-Japan Executive Director Akiko Mera, “The Japanese state has the means to reach 99% of the population, but there will always be some who need more specific assistance.” > Since the government has the means to deal with the immediate crisis, donors may wish to wait and contribute to the groups that are able to assist with the intermediate and long-term needs of surviving victims. > Many people have been displaced or have lost their livelihoods. Ongoing assistance will be required to relocate and retrain people, and also to provide psychological counseling for traumatized survivors.

http://www.charitywatch.org/hottopics/JapanTsunami2011.html

Thank you, Lenny, Robin, Glyn, for your support and kind words. I have refrained from participating in this debate further (for the most part). But I would like to add a couple of things.

Paul, Doug, I do see where you are coming from. But your practical POV’s and your presentation of them was harsh and nearly served to deter participation. So what you may have seen to be an opposing view and valid to your mind, could also serve to throw a monkey wrench into an effort to aid someone else. Even if the resulting support is not immediate, it is a form of taking, not giving.

Personally, I’m a rebel. Your opposing views fueled my motivation to make it count all the more. Other people may not see it that way though.

There have been accounts of music aiding and speeding the healing of people in hospitals as well as creating large impacts on society, both positive and negative. With this song, I am looking into the mechanics behind the notes, their respective colors a few dozen octaves up the scale, and their representation in our energy centers (chakras). Music to me, is not only about creating sound that flows, but weaving it’s energy throughout the body. A direct language of communication between the known and unknown. This as well I would like to ingrain into the song.

Now, in regards to making music for our own gain. Selfishness is part of human nature. We all want to be recognized, have our 15 minutes of fame, have our stuff be noticed and make a difference. I’ve seen this within myself and am ok with it. Self(ish)ness is what ties the ego to the body. If we were not selfish, we would not do anything here on this Earth. The debate of the former day, raging about how music would be helpful, was a product of selfishness. Everyone stating their points of view, and not objectively seeing a larger picture. Yet, that debate generated the most responses, got the most attention. It is human nature, part of the business, our way to stand out. It does not lessen or cheapen the effort simply because the first impulse of motivation was inspired by the desire to help in this relief effort. It doesn’t matter to me if it is short term or long term. It just matters that we try, do our best, send our spirit out there within our music and hope for a good response.

Just a quick note. My singer confirmed today.

The last couple of days I’ve been mired in multiple projects, and trying to fix the brakes on my car. So a couple of very sore hands has staggered my timing by a couple of days. I’m still hoping for next week to have a good song skeleton together.

I’ll keep in touch.

I’ve gotten a song structure worked out. I’ll be putting a very basic version together within the next few days.

When I get the first working copy together, I’ll PM FTP details and upload the entire project to the site. (I’ll start a new thread for this).

Cheers,
-and thanks for being patient ya’ll!

I do not want to agitate you, John, and it’s not a huge issue, but I feel you owe me something of a retraction here.

I re-read this thread AND the other thread and I didn’t say anything “harsh” in opposition to this effort. I don’t oppose it. For me, I’m uncomfortable with such an effort while people are still in grave danger. That’s ME – doesn’t mean it should impinge on you, however.

I also made a brief comment that in my opinion, from an artistic perspective, what you had composed so far was too “upbeat” for this sort of thing… but that some lyrical context might alter that view.

Here’s a sampling of some other things I said from both threads:

In all honesty, I feel it’s too immediate upon the events to react in an artistic way. I realize this is human nature, however, you feel helpless and want to DO something.

Which is still my feeling. The crisis is STILL unfolding. The second sentence however expresses sympathy/empathy/understanding of such efforts.

I won’t condemn such an effort > either but this IS still an evolving situation. Apparently, at least one of the cores has already melted, and the others may soon follow. I salute the brave, selfless dudes who chose to go back into the reactor area in a last-ditch effort to prevent further meltdowns, knowing full well they will certainly die by doing so.

For me, all I can say is that a musical ditty just seems out of place mere days after so many – apparently about 90,000 are missing – have died… and more may follow

This is all about the timing, not the effort itself. Note my words in red. Note also I said “FOR ME” this is a bit premature, given the disaster is still “in progress” – doesn’t seem appropriate to me. But as I said, I’m not here to condemn – you’re certainly free to follow your own conscience.

After the Haitian situation I did in fact work on a song, as Glyn who had a hand in coordinating the effort will attest. I had too much going on at the time and couldn’t make the deadline. Actually, I’m glad I didn’t – my song, called “Cite Soleil” after the infamous crime-infested shanty town in Port-au-Prince, which ironically survived the earthquake completely unscathed, was a bit of a political diatribe and I concluded it was inappropriate, however truthful, for inclusion in a relief effort. My point is: I’ve been involved in these efforts before, so it’s incorrect to state I oppose them in principle.

I think Paul and Steve raise a valid issue here. I think it’s obvious that actually helping out or sending funds is the best way to help.

But > making music can do one good thing> , potentially: it can put both the creators and the listeners in the right frame of mind to in fact do more. > I think that’s the point of the effort.

But creative self-expression, as a form of purging or catharsis, even when it’s in solidarity with the victims, ain’t gonna help them much in practical terms.

Which isn’t an expression of “opposition” in any way, just my weak attempt to assess the relative merits of direct charitable donation versus making a song. I clearly indicated what I saw as the benefits of making such a song. I also agree with Lenny that it conveys to the victims they’re not alone in this, something I hadn’t considered, since in the back of my mind there’s the assumption they probably won’t ever hear it – which might be wrong.

Lenny also fairly rebutted me by asserting that we “gainsayers” have been unfair in assuming that Forum members weren’t ALSO ALREADY giving direct financial aid. So I simply leave it up to each member to answer THAT issue for himself.

… people DO respond to such things as music telethons that raise money. I think they can help raise awareness, too, which hopefully results in more donations.

… human nature being what it is, I think such musical efforts can and do help raise awareness AND money. Shouldn’t have to be that way. Just is, I’m afraid.

However, I wish there were some way for some of these musical efforts to gain a wider audience, specifically for the purpose of generating donations. I thought Peter’s tune after the Indonesian Tsunami could have achieved this, if it had a wider reception. Indeed, Darren’s wonderful “Blue Haitian Skies” is a tune I listen to fairly regularly – keeps the Haitian situation from leaving my consciousness

I don’t see any opposition let alone “negativity” in these statements.

To sum it up briefly:

I’m sympathetic to the effort
the timing is a bit premature, for me
the composition IMO is too “happy” but I also said lyrical context might obviate that stance
direct donation IS better in MY opinon – that doesn’t negate other efforts, however
and lastly, you and anyone else are of course completely free to ignore me, and all others, and follow your own heart… because like I said from the beginning:

John, I think you’re a wonderful guy, and I know your heart is in the right place.

:sunglasses:

No one seems to be bothered abut the people of Libya being attacked and sniped upon by the 'Western Crusaders. No songs created fro them.