Spitifre BBC SO

Hello. I can not open Spitifre Audio BBC SO plugin in Cubase 12 under Windows 11. Cubase crashes… I get an error. Anyone else having this issue? What can i do? I asked spitfire already, they told me its not their fault… great… Please help!


Hello there,

Typical trouble shooting could be:
After Cubase crashed and you restart it, there is a ‘safe mode’ disabling preferences.
Some report that after deleting the ‘preferences’ folder, (forcing Cubase to make a new ‘blank’ one) this kind of problem is solved.
Futhermore, it is possible to load the BBC SO from withing Komplete Kontrol (should you have that installed), but no guarantee it will work.
Can you point out the steps you do?
Like: Start new project. Create a track, insert BBC SO etc …

If you insert a plugin and Cubase crashes immediately, it is most likely the fault of the plugin, in my exprience.
You could upload a crash dump here so we could analyze it.
Try reproducing the crash (a clean new project), then load SO. If it crashes, check your “Documents\Steinberg\Crashdumps” folder for a .dmp file with the time of the crash, upload it here.

Hello fese,
Just out of curiosity, how can one read/analyze such a dump?

I’ve written a small tutorial here:


Cubase 64bit 2023.2.28 (881.4 KB)
thank you for your answers. here is the .dmp, please help.
thank you

What I would do:
Uninstall/Re-Install the Spitfire BBC SO
Have a look here for the uninstall: https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403731679121

Make sure to have ‘Admin’ rights (not sure, but could make a difference)

Yep, that crash seems to be caused by BBC SO:

ExceptionAddress: 00007ffc8b7a4570 (BBC_Symphony_Orchestra__64_Bit_!InitDll+0x0000000000bf7d96)
   ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
  ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
   Parameter[0]: 0000000000000000
   Parameter[1]: 000000003b2b2000
Attempt to read from address 000000003b2b2000
SYMBOL_NAME:  BBC_Symphony_Orchestra__64_Bit_+bf7d96

MODULE_NAME: BBC_Symphony_Orchestra__64_Bit_

IMAGE_NAME:  BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit).vst3

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005_BBC_Symphony_Orchestra_(64_Bit).vst3!Unknown

We can’t help you with that. You can try re-installing (make sure you have the latest version of the plugin, but if that doesn’t help, I would send the crash dump to Spitfire.

I have the exact same problem. I bought BBC CORE and it has never run (Cubase Pro 11), either crash on loading the plug in or it just sits there greyed out and I can do nothing. 400 quid for this thing a year ago and it’s useless.
Re-installed many times on different drives, no go.

Good luck with Spitfire, I posted this problem on their forum months ago and it’s been completely ignored.

I’ll watch this thread with interest.

i found out something very sad:
BBC SO has no official support for win11… just for win10.
idk how this is possible in this year, since BBC is supposed to be the “standard” and also win11 is the newest win but yeah… what you gonna do

are you on win10 or win11?

btw if you have win11 you can try running cubase in compability mode win8 and then you can at least start the BBC plugin and load some instruments. however, not too much, since it crashes from a certain amount of loaded plugins…

For your info:
I use Win 11, BBC SO Core in Cubase 12 Pro, and it works like a charm.
I’d check my setup/system/Windows/drivers/etc to make it work. :wink: )

I’m on Windows 10.

So… yesterday I fixed the problem. I am still not sure how I did it, so I just write you the steps I did and maybe it helps you as well:

First I loaded every other spitfire vst in my cubase, everyone except BBC. then I went to the sound settings of windows, deactivated all the windows sounds. then I changed some settings in the “exclusiv mode” under the properties of my OUTPUT (i unticked every option, pressed apply, then ticked every option again, and pressed apply) . I also changed the 24bit 48khz options in windows and in cubase and changed them then back again to what they originally have been.

And from then on for some f**** reason my year old problem was fixed. I dont know why and how. I dont know which step did it. It seems to me that by ticking and unticking some options windows kind of “reset” some important steps. I really can not explain it. But I am pretty sure that windows is the problem, not Cubase or Spitfire.