Steinberg Download Assistant 1.31.1 hangs up

Hello all,
On my macOS Monterey (12.1) on an Intel iMac I’ve downloaded and installed Steinberg Download Assistant 1.31.1.
When I launch it it hangs up forever.
Manually launching it from console I have the following error:

192:MacOS crosati$ ./Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant
09:18:53.881 [main] DEBUG net.steinberg.elicenser.download.singleinstance.SingleInstanceLock - Lock file is: /Users/crosati/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Download Assistant/net-steinberg-sda.4EA4CA71-30AB-4E8A-A087-757CA9B5E747.lock
09:18:53.891 [main] DEBUG net.steinberg.elicenser.download.singleinstance.SingleInstanceLock - Message file is: /Users/crosati/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Download Assistant/net-steinberg-sda.4EA4CA71-30AB-4E8A-A087-757CA9B5E747.message
Jan 13, 2022 9:18:54 AM tornadofx.Stylesheet$Companion detectAndInstallUrlHandler
INFO: Installing CSS url handler, since it was not picked up automatically
Exception in Preloader start method
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.springframework.boot.loader.MainMethodRunner.run(MainMethodRunner.java:48)
	at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:87)
	at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:51)
	at org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher.main(JarLauncher.java:52)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Preloader start method
	at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:899)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$1(LauncherImpl.java:182)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at javafx.scene.control.ProgressIndicator.createDefaultSkin(ProgressIndicator.java:199)
	at javafx.scene.control.Control.impl_processCSS(Control.java:872)
	at javafx.scene.Parent.impl_processCSS(Parent.java:1280)
	at javafx.scene.Node.processCSS(Node.java:9069)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.doCSSPass(Scene.java:545)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.preferredSize(Scene.java:1646)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.impl_preferredSize(Scene.java:1723)
	at javafx.stage.Window$9.invalidated(Window.java:864)
	at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.markInvalid(BooleanPropertyBase.java:109)
	at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.set(BooleanPropertyBase.java:144)
	at javafx.stage.Window.setShowing(Window.java:940)
	at javafx.stage.Window.show(Window.java:955)
	at javafx.stage.Stage.show(Stage.java:259)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.preloader.StartingScreen.start(StartingScreen.kt:50)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$6(LauncherImpl.java:785)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$7(PlatformImpl.java:326)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$5(PlatformImpl.java:295)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$6(PlatformImpl.java:294)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.sun.javafx.font.MacFontFinder.populateFontFileNameMap(MacFontFinder.java:89)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFullNameToFileMap(PrismFontFactory.java:1705)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFontResource(PrismFontFactory.java:438)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getSlot0Resource(LogicalFont.java:194)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getDefaultAAMode(LogicalFont.java:409)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getStrike(LogicalFont.java:413)
	at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFont.getStrike(PrismFont.java:73)
	at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.setContent(PrismTextLayout.java:138)
	at javafx.scene.text.Text.getTextLayout(Text.java:229)
	at javafx.scene.text.Text.needsFullTextLayout(Text.java:184)
	at javafx.scene.text.Text.access$200(Text.java:95)
	at javafx.scene.text.Text$2.invalidated(Text.java:389)
	at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.markInvalid(StringPropertyBase.java:109)
	at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:144)
	at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:49)
	at javafx.scene.text.Text.setText(Text.java:370)
	at javafx.scene.text.Text.<init>(Text.java:129)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.ProgressIndicatorSkin.<clinit>(ProgressIndicatorSkin.java:169)
	... 22 more

How can I install my Dorico 4 update?

You can download Dorico 4 manually via this page.

However, I think we’ll need to get Steinberg Download Assistant working on your computer so that you can perform the update. It’s worth trying, though, signing in with your Steinberg ID here and clicking the Redeem Download Access Code button. If your eLicenser is registered to your account (so that we can find your existing Dorico 3.5 license to mark it as updated), I think it will work OK this way.

Thank you Daniel, the manual installation and activation worked nicely.
Being a Java software programmer myself, I can help you and your team in testing the future fix of the Download Assistant, please let me know.
Claudio

It would certainly be useful to have the logs from your machine. I will pass them on if you send them to me. The SDA team ask for the following information:

• Mac/Win version (7/8/10/Mojave/Catalina, Home/Pro/Enterprise, 32/64bit)
  • SDA version
  • Steps to reproduce the error
  • Screenshot of the actual error
  • SDA installation logs. On windows: C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Download Assistant\Logs\ – on mac: /Library/Logs/Steinberg/Download Assistant
  • SDA application logs. On windows: C:\Users<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Steinberg Download Assistant\logs – on mac: ~/Library/Logs/Steinberg/Download Assistant
  • Whether antivirus software is installed and which exactly
  • Is VPN running?
  • Is any proxy configured?
  • Any other known firewall, apps or network configuration that might interfere with other applications or network?

(Note that on mac installation logs are located under “/Library/…” and application logs under “~/Library/…” - those are different directories)

Here the info:

• macOS Monterey 12.1 on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4;
  • SDA ver. 1.31.1;
  • Steps: Install SDA ver. 1.31.1 and launch it.
  • Screenshot: nothing is displayed on screen. Launching SDA via console I have the exception posted before;
  • SDA-Installation-Logs.zip (84.3 KB)
  • SDA-Application-Logs.zip (37.1 KB)
  • No antivirus
  • No VPN running
  • No proxy configured
  • No firewall, apps or network configuration that might interfere with other applications or network.

Best regards,
Claudio

Thanks for this info, Claudio. I’ve been in touch with our SDA team, and they suspect that the problem is caused by one or more fonts on your system that is causing an exception to be thrown. My colleague has put together a set of instructions for you to follow that will hopefully allow us to identify the problematic font, if you’re game to give it a try!

1. Navigate to the Contents/Java folder inside the application bundle folder, e.g.

cd /Applications/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant.app/Contents/Java

1. Open file Steinberg Download Assistant.cfg and the property prism.debugfonts=true under the JVMOptions categrory. It looks something like this:
    [JVMOptions]
    -Dspring.config.additional-location=file:${HOME}/.config/steinberg-download-assistant/application.properties
    -Dlogging.file.name=${HOME}/Library/Logs/Steinberg/Download Assistant/Steinberg-Download-Assistant_${sda.startup_time}.log
    -Daria2c.tool=/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Download Assistant/3rd Party/optional/aria2/bin/aria2c
    -Djava.net.useSystemProxies=true
    -Dprism.debugfonts=true

[JVMUserOptions]

[ArgOptions]
  1. Navigate to application folder inside the application bundle, e.g.

cd /Applications/Steinberg Download Assistant/Steinberg Download Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS

1. Start the Steinberg Download Assistant from the command line and monitor for exceptions,

./Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant

1. Watch the log output and look for entries where the font name is “null", e.g.
    Jan 14, 2022 2:44:56 PM tornadofx.Stylesheet$Companion detectAndInstallUrlHandler
    INFO: Installing CSS url handler, since it was not picked up automatically
    Loading FontFactory com.sun.javafx.font.coretext.CTFactory
    Subpixel: enabled
    [MacFontFinder] Name=Shree Devanagari 714 Bold
        Family=Shree Devanagari 714
        File=/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Shree714.ttc
    [MacFontFinder] Name=Academy Engraved LET Plain:1.0
        Family=Academy Engraved LET
        File=/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Academy Engraved LET Fonts.ttf
    [MacFontFinder] Name=null
  1. If there are fonts that provide a null for the name, moving them from the font folder might solve the problem.

Please let me know how you get on!

Thank you Daniel.
I’ve done what you wrote and I found a single entry matching “Name=null”:

[MacFontFinder] Name=null
	Family=null
	File=null

Being that also “File=null” what I’ve done was removing all fonts from /Library/Fonts (but nothing changed), then from /Users/crosati/Library/Fonts, and at that point it worked. So using Newton bisection method I’ve moved back fonts until I’ve found:

• MT Extra that blocked SDA from starting,
  • Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow and Arial Narrow Bold that were not loaded because of unknown format (these fonts are also in the system font as ttf extensions, so was not a problem removing them).

Now I have my SDA starting correctly. Thank you very much to you and your SDA team.

Thanks for letting me know, Claudio, and I’m glad you’ve resolved it.