Steinberg UR22 mkII causing Ableton to crash

Hey all, any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Been using the Steinberg UR22 mkII Audio Interface with Ableton Live for the past 4 years, and just recently it has started to give me some serious issues.

Starting about 2 days ago, EVERY time I plug the UR22 into my laptop, and select it as my audio output device, no audio on my computer will work, and it causes apps to crash/freeze.

Examples:

-YouTube will not load any videos/play any audio as soon as I plug my interface in

-Ableton will freeze immediately upon selecting my interface and will not work until I’ve reloaded the application & unplugged the interface

This is a super weird problem, but it’s directly related to the UR22 as it happens Immediately when I plug it in. When I unplug, Youtube immediately starts loading video again and Ableton works with any other output device.
I’ve tried installing the latest Steinberg Driver, the oldest driver, using different cables, nothing seems to be working.

I’m using a Macbook Pro 15" late 2013 model, running macOS Catalina version 10.15, Ableton 10.1.3, and Yamaha HS8 monitors.

2 Likes

Excactly the same issue… and something more… when i used the ur22 with my 15 years old laptop there was no problem at all… now i have a TURBO desktop and i have the SAME issues… like youtube LAG with no Sound and of course nothing is WORKING IN DAW

1 Like

I know this is old, but I just upgraded to windows 10 and ableton 11 this weekend. I’m experiencing the problem a lot now. As soon as I select the ur22 as the audio device the whole program freezes and crashes. I’ve tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it which worked a couple times, but then the problem just comes right back. Did anyone figure out the solution?

1 Like

I have the same problem as of March 2, 2022 today! Help! When I turn on the “Steinberg UR22 mkII”, my entire audio fails and they can’t open any master track! How can I fix this? It’s frustrating! Real help!
I have an iMac with macOS Monterrey 12.2.1, with Ableton 11 live suite, and all that works very well with all my hardware and software, but when I turn on my “Steinberg UR22 mkII” everything is blocked and goes down!
I have no answer to this problem anywhere on the net!
Please help!!

I checked it myself and yes, indeed, the sound freezes along with the players (YouTube and media player classic). But personally, after about 5 seconds, the sound in the players returns to normal again. There seems to be something related to the program capturing the communication channel with the sound card. As an option, i noted for myself the possibility of first launching Ableton, and then YouTube, then everything works together.
By the way, check the connection, it should be connected to USB 2.0.
Checked for Windows 10 x64.

This is a driver “feature”.
The Steinberg driver does not permit you to change the channels sample-rate from Windows audio settings. You can only do that from the driver pop-up. It creates separate sets of channels for each of the available sample-rates. If you open device manager and show hidden peripherals, under audio inputs and outputs, you’ll see duplicates for every channels. The ones that are not grayed out correspond to the sample-rate currently in use, and the ones that are grayed out correspond to other sample-rates and are “not connected”. When you change the sample rate through the driver or when you switch between programs that use different sample-rates, Windows has to shut down the channels and load the appropriate set corresponding to the sample-rate, thus causing the audio to drop out for several seconds. This is literally like having multiple interfaces that work with only one different sample-rate each, but you have only one USB port, and have to unplug an interface to replace with another.

That kind of driver behavior is indeed the worst you can encounter.
Presonus recently updated their drivers and switched to that too, and it is absolutely nefarious. I had to revert back to a previous version which work completely trouble-free.

I’m thinking about making a new topic to disclose the problem. Because this is wide-spread.

I have an UR22 MK1 and managed to solve it.

Left click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner.
Open sound config.

Both in the input and output, do this:
Device properties → Additional device properties → Advanced options tab → Untick both of the options under “exclusive mode”. That will not allow any application to use the interface in a exclusive way.

My Windows 10 is in spanish so beware of the names of the locations.

1 Like

Hey everyone, so i experience the worst case scenario of this, and everything crashed multiple times while i was performing on stage last night. It didnt happen during soundcheck, but half way through the actual performance, to the point where I had to stop playing after it happened 7 times. The output from ableton, that is the steinberg ur22 mk2 just kept disappearing. I m thinking the solution would be to buy a new soundcard. Would this make sense? Im rly traumatized and dont want it to ever happenen again. I have a mac book pro 13 inch, 2020, and macos 13.5. I was running ableton live suite 11

Hi @rebeccatheuma and welcome to the Steinberg forums.

Sorry to read about your terrible experience with the UR22.

Have a read through this https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360008589880-Windows-How-to-set-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation

It’s for Windows but maybe of some use if you’re on Mac.