Stream Deck macro keypad

I have 4 SD Shorts that open: version history, Dorico manual, Tokens reference, PopOver reference

very handy

Has anyone used the Infinitton macro keyboard?

Today at NYC Music Services we’ve just released Notation Express for Dorico, a fully customized Stream Deck profile with more than 300 commands. Leo Nicholson devised the Notation Express Dorico layout and key commands, and programmed the Stream Deck profile to make it work with Dorico.

Thanks for posting this Philip. I finally broke down and purchased a stream deck. I’ve got a wonderful midi kb with a whole slew of extra midi keys (Alesis VI61) which I’ve set up for many things… but since the stream deck is running macros to activate some popovers AND type the desired response, it can do certain things that my kb can’t yet do with simple MIDI commands. The videos are fascinating to watch as you are able to do so many things so quickly! I’m looking forward to this.

I’m away for a week but as soon as I get home I’m gettin me one of them there contraptions.
Actually it looks amazing with the macros.

Hi Dan,
I bought the unit and have it up and running. But I can’t find Profile - import, - I only see duplicate, rename and export…?
Am I in the wrong place ?
TIA :slight_smile:
Mads

Mads, you can just double-click the profile from wherever you’ve downloaded it to, and it’ll load into the Stream Deck software. Same as if you opened a Dorico project off the desktop.

Wow - how incredibly easy!
Thank’s pianoleo :slight_smile:

Hello, All. To those who are interested in the Stream Deck, or even curious about it, this might be a motivation to buy one. https://www.scoringnotes.com/meta/notation-express-for-dorico/

NYC Music Services, which released a whole Stream Deck set called Notation Express for Sibelius, has just released Notation Express for Dorico. I’ve bought it ($29.00 USD), and it’s very thorough. It does raise the “how much is too much” issue, and I’ve already found that burrowing down three levels to find some things may take more time than whatever previous method I used; however, I’ve also found that it’s a great repository for shortcuts I can never remember.

It’s especially useful in situations where my workflow keeps me in one mode or another for a period of time, so that I"m on the same Stream Deck screen for a period of time. A good example of that is formatting a score or parts; all the frame or staff adjustments are literally at my finger tips.

It’s ideal for the person who really can’t remember shortcuts, or how has one particular area of work he/she doesn’t use often enough to remember the appropriate shortcuts. For someone who has already set up a large number of Dorico Key Commands or a large number of Keyboard Maestro shortcuts (and uses them regularly enough that remembering them is not an issue), then Notation Express will have fewer areas of usefulness. I’ve found that my Keyboard Maestro shortcuts are, in some cases, quicker than reaching for the Stream Deck; entering dynamics comes to mind, because I have created a large set of easily-triggered comprehensive dynamics triggers.

But there are other areas where I’m already becoming comfortable with Notation Express on the Stream Deck (and I just bought it yesterday), so I’m glad I bought it. It’s already making its way into my workflow.

I don’t know if Notation Express alone will motivate someone to buy a Stream Deck; however, for those who already own a Stream Deck, it’s certainly worth taking a look. There’s a good quick-look video at the URL above, showing Notation Express for Dorico in a nutshell.

In the meantime, the screenshot below lets you see the Notation Express front screen, which is the top level of organization from which you dig down to the areas you want to work in.

Lew, the beauty of the Stream Deck software is that it allows copying and pasting of existing functions. If there are 14 things you use on a very frequent basis, you might consider adding a folder somewhere and pasting those 14 things in there.

…talking of which, that screenshot looks wrong. Clefs and Octaves is in the top left button by default, and that “Default Profile” button shouldn’t be there at all. I’ll post a “correct” one in a few hours when I’m behind the computer…

Lew, for me the beauty of Stream Deck is that the top layer is often changing based on the project I’m on. If I’m putting in bowings, or formatting musical exercises, or exploding orchestral parts… as Leo says, you can just copy-paste functions to the top layer as needed.

I keep all functions buried three layers deep so I don’t accidentally erase them, and call them to the top as needed.

Lew, I really appreciate the kind words and I’m so glad that you’re making use of it already.

As others have mentioned, it’s great that you can customize it as you like; you’re not locked down to using the Notation Express profile. Indeed, based on your screenshot, you’ve already modified it a bit :smiley:

Here’s the shipping home screen (dynamics are here):

Leo has done an amazing job of thinking it all through with 300+ commands, all the while keeping some general consistency with the Sibelius version, to appease both Dorico-only users and Sibelius/Dorico users.

Dan and Marc also provided some terrific advice, too.

You’re right, of course, Leo. And I had already done that on my own Dorico Stream Deck template. I was just talking about the Notation Express template “out of the box.”

And re: the screenshot I posted, you’re right again; I had already made the two changes you observed; I was just trying to show how comprehensive the tools are.

And Dan, are you saying you redesign the template every time you sit down to work, depending on what you’re working on that day? That sounds cumbersome to me. And re: your concern about erasing a shortcut, I’m sure you know about saving your profiles?

Anyway, the bottom line is, I’m a real fan of both Stream Deck and the new Notation Express Dorico layout.

No, I just mean I go into the sub-menus, click the particular function I want to bring to the top, and copy-paste it onto the “home” layer.

Well, I ordered mine yesterday, and it arrived by lunch today. Amazon is really upping their game. I was shocked.

Suffice it to say, this is awfully slick. I wish I had purchased one of these a long time ago. I’ve set up other profiles for other programs I use and it’s most expedient with repetitious tasks. This is my new favorite toy.

Leo, I gave it a little spin.

Well done, truly. Congrats!

Thanks Dan!

Hi Dan,
I have your profile in the unit now (thank’s to pianoleo…) and everything looks very nice :slight_smile:
But - although I’ve assigned Dorico as the application to load the Dorico profile nothing happens in Dorico. What am I missing ?
Also - I snatched your Macro script and Dorico shortcut list, but I don’t know what to to with them… :confused:
TIA :slight_smile:
Mads

For starters, you need to install Auto Hot Key. That’s the program that runs the macros. Once you have AHK installed, you can double-click on the macro file to run it.

The macros themselves are just a text document; it’s AHK that binds the keystrokes to the macro commands.

Also, some of the key commands may not be assigned to your Dorico profile (like Ctrl-Alt-P to Propagate Properties… it’s not a default command, you need to add it to the Key Commands.