The New MIDI Remote is

Currently it’s just available from within the application. The trial will be available at the end of the month. You will need to wait until then.

1 Like

Is there any way to assign a fader to fixed defined channel in the current project? It seems like you only can define the 1-8 channels of the current bank. I have set up my controller with the generic remote control with my template to control specific Group Channels but unfortunately could not reabuild it with new mapping assistant:

Also it seems like you are only able to map one Cubase function to a specific controller. With the generic remote control you are able to create several entries for the same CC, allowing to control different functions simultanously via one CC.

Any plans on adding these things?

Also, how long will the Generic Remote be supported? I really don’t want to change my workflow until I can use the new mapping assistant for all my requirements.

Thanks a lot,
Oliver

1 Like

What is the reason for this?

Workload. The plan is to move the documentation to https://developer.steinberg.help as soon as possible.

3 Likes

So what about touchscreen controllers using things like Lemur or Metagrid? Will it change how we can implement those?

@Matthias_Quellmann , out of curiosity, why did the team decide for JavaScript?
HALion uses Lua, and so do other similar apps like Falcon or Kontakt.
Lua is kind of an “industry standard” scripting language in the audio world so people who are already familiar with UX development in Kontakt or HALion would be able to transition faster.

GUI for setting up own script doesn’t show the controls when trying to edit:

Also I couldn’t find the settings for “Receive” and “Transmit” like in the Generic Remote Control. I am using TouchOSC and certainly want my controls to respond to parameter changes made in the DAW.

Maybe it’s a bug if you don’t have any vendor or model setup when you created it? I see that they’re showing as ‘0’ on your video.

Yes, this is quite confusing. Agree.

1 Like

good point. I had one set up because you need in order to create a new controller but I used the “user defined” option. Maybe it does not safe it correctly. I will try to choose one of the pre listed vendors.

I don’t know if I understand your problem correctly, but you can create a new page with the + icon in mapping and by any other key you can switch between pages. So you can assign another function to the same CC.

That is true but the pages doesn’t work simultansously right? So if cannot control two functions at the same point of time with one controller, because I have to switch pages before.

Ok, then i didn’t understand your request. To do what you ask I think you need to develop it with JS API. Or continue to use the old “generic remote”

1 Like

No, that topic is on another page :wink:

I have no problem continuing using “generic remote” by now but I guess it wouln’t be supported for long anymore. Also I think the new one is really cool but it is strange that in some points it is more restrictive than the old way. Like missing the the “Transmit” back to controller possibility. I really need that.

It is always transmitting back to hardware. But that is not always wanted as some devices expect other midi messages to drive leds etc. We will add the option to turn off transmission in a maintenance update.

4 Likes

in my opinion the new one will evolve in the future, I have seen the “JS API” and there are many functions that in the cubase GUI are not there. Also as a graphical interface.

1 Like

really? Ok then I need to run some more tests. Initially it was not working.

I am using TouchOSC and with Generic Remote Control I have set it up that it will send and receive MIDI CC on the same channel and CC #.

that sounds promising! :slight_smile: I am already really happy that you can run Generic and the new one in parralel. At least it worked for me. So I can slowly transition functions without having to set up everything at once! great thing

That’s right. In the Script API you have more GUI elements, sub pages, you can register callback-functions to receive track names, colors and more. For setting hardware leds/displays you can send sysex messages if the manufacturer has implemented and DOCUMENTED (what is not always the case) that.

5 Likes

Hmm, but then it should work. Did you initially set a MIDI output port when starting to create your surface?

1 Like