View Filter MIDI Notes/Data by MIDI Channel

Hi, example,
You are working in a MIDI part and notes/events/data in that part use different MIDI Channels. Say MIDI Channels 2,7,15 are used.

The user wants to see only notes/data of which are assigned to Channel 7. They exclusive checkbox 7, and now all non-ch7 notes become dulled out and untouchable.

This allows users to sort of work on multi-instrument compositions from within one part, or maybe they have a complex articulation/multi-sampler workflow wired up. I think it would be useful in the age of polyphonic expression, articulation maps, etc, etc.

related

Hi,

You can set the Key Editor to colorize the MIDI Notes by the Channel. So every MIDI Channel has its own color.

Or you can Dissolve Parts to get an individual MIDI Tracks/MIDI Parts per MIDI Channel.

I first voted for feature but this last comment led me to remove, sorry.
I am using a fishman Triple Play on my guitar to generate midi notes on one or several channels, being able to diffrentiate notes by channel is a plus.

These are fairly sufficient workarounds I already employ, so my suggestions are efficiency and workflow based.

Colourizing works, but you lose whatever you are switching from which for most is probably Velocity.

Dissolve Parts I do use and I do use multiple MIDI tracks sometimes to separate CC control from note triggering, but, depending on what this MIDI track is controlling and how, it’s much easier to work all on one track/part.

A big reason for the idea of a view filter… It’s actually about being able to quickly selection one channel of notes without selecting the others, making changes to only one channel group of notes… For example, decreasing the velocity of ch1 notes, and increasing the velocity of ch2 notes.

Yes, this can be accomplished with LE, but, that would require soo many scripts to cover all channels and all, even rudimentary, editing actions.

With my idea, I could filter out Ch2 notes to see only CH1, apply my LE volume decrease script, negate view filter, then do CH2. That’s very very fast and hassle free workflow.

Does this make more sense? hope so. What do you think @csurieux

Just had an idea, there could be some great key command functions added to this idea like ‘Filter View Channels of selected MIDI event(s)’.

1 Like

Hi,

Use Logical Editor to select just the notes with MIDI Channel X. You can assign dedicated Key Commands to the dedicated Channels filters.

16 Channels = 16 presets.

You can so this within only one LE. So you could have 32 LEs in total. 16 Channels * up/down.

16 Channels = 16 presets x all presets/CC targets = 1000s

I’m just using basic stripped down examples to explain the logic behind the idea.

The difference with my idea is, it allows continuous work on one channel, then switching to another channel and doing continues work on it.

Maybe if I explain via visualization - Think of MIDI Channels in the MIDI editor, as Photoshop layers. Sometimes you need to hide all but one layer to see it properly and be able to work on it properly and more efficiently. You don’t have to worry about negatively effecting the other layers, they are out of site and mind. This can be just generally, very advantageous - not accidentally selecting the wrong things, not always having to deselect, being able to use ‘Select All’ on only one layer… I use ‘Select All’ in the MIDI editor all the time, just this in itself as a keycommand being able to be applied to only one MIDI channel group of notes.

I think it could be done very effectively and would increase workflow for anyone doing multi-timbral compositions across multiple MIDI channels.

Another use is, if someone has Expression Map note triggers, they could have those on a MIDI channel separate from notation channel, and be able to hide the Expression Map note triggers when they’re not needed to be seen.

And now that I bring that up, there should be mutes and solos for MIDI Channels as well in the editor.

Really what the idea is, is pretty much turning MIDI Channels… into actual Channels in the editor that have Mute/Solo/Hide/Unhide/Lock, etc. Make it an actual interface in the left zone.

Hi,

Then just use the dedicated tracks per channel workflow. Select the wanted MIDI controller lane and use Increase/Decrease MIDI CC Value LE by X. 2 LE Presets.

This is what I already I do, I’m suggesting we move towards a self contained workflow, it would be more modern and professional, less of a mess, easier to edit, easier to breakdown compositions and performances, etc, etc. I’ve been doing the multi-channel data splits for a long time, and actually developed a very proficient system… It’s still not going to be as proficient as properly designed self-contained system and GUI that gives the user direct control and oversight of data-by-MIDI Channel.

It gets confusing, because then you have MIDI notes splayed across different tracks, but then I might want to change some notes to different MIDI Channels, but then they are on the wrong track. It just doesn’t work good.

Hi,

Actually having all MIDI data within one track is really very old school approach. SMF0 did this. SMF1 was already using track by channel.

The Standard MIDI File format was adopted in 1988 as an extension to the MIDI specification primarily to allow the exchange of sequence data created on different programs.

• Format 0: the MIDI data is represented in a single track, though perhaps using several MIDI channels.
  • Format 1: the MIDI data is represented by multiple tracks, all synchronized to a common time representation (the first track should provide a tempo map).
  • Format 2: the MIDI data is represented with multiple independent tracks, perhaps a collection of Format 0 sequences.

Source

So we are talking about something, what was established as standard more than 30 years ago. :wink:

Interesting!

Well I guess I want ALL the formats but in a modern representation and UI.

It seems as if to me, Steinberg leaned toward Format 2, and while there is some Format 0 implementation it was mostly not explored or just implemented at the base level and then never touched again.

I don’t doubt there is a reason for that… like… what is more popular…but… this is also maybe what was popular when screens were smaller, complex UI architectures didn’t exist, user adaptive option networks, etc, etc.

What also didn’t exist or was as popular back then was the popularity of single instrument polyphonic expression, expression/articulation triggering, etc, etc. All this stuff is fairly popular and common place now.

So, I think it’s worth revisiting the concept of Format 0. Now that I’m aware of all of this, it does sort of seem like a part of the program that dropped off a cliff and was never developed further. There’s no reason Cubase can’t offer both Format 0 and Format 2 in the modern day.

Also just thinking, if this Format 0 workflow was expanded on, it could be a nice change to be able to actually use the MIDI Channel system to compose from one editor, for example, if you have 10 channels of instruments in HalionSE, to be able to more fluidly compose on the fly between all the instruments by being able to

• Select which channel for note/data input.
  • See only whatever you want when you want.
  • locking certain MIDI CH you want locked (dull/backgrounded colour when locked)
  • affect only certain instrument/channel when you want
  • no need to go to the ‘Parts’ menu or ‘Next Part’
  • Work on different-channel-same-CC side by side without switching parts

All without leaving the same MIDI Editor. This would be such a fast way to work if say, the user could hotkey/MIDI Remote/MetaGrid the ability to switch to input MIDI Channels 1-16 on the fly, as well as show/hide/lock

THEN, the user can make use of the current Format 2 procedures of breaking all the MIDI Channels out to separate tracks and events for final tweaks and multi-track export.

It makes sense no? @Martin.Jirsak

I’m sort of surprised no one else is interested in this conversation? It’s interesting to me, and, isn’t Cubase… really about this? MIDI workflow and composition?