Vote for the feature request now when we can!

No debate in this topic about the pros and cons of feature requests, please! Start your own :grin:

I just used firefox to figure out that if I scroll very far down and search this page for “0 votes” after searching the forum for “Cubase”+“feature-request” .
I got 356 hits and when I removed the zero and searched for " votes" I got 378 hits so 22 topics had votes all in all.
So if you think your feature request should be taken into consideration maybe you should read and vote for other feature requests as well? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, I don’t know if down voting is supported by the forum software but if you down vote a feature request and motivate it with a post telling why then it’s not a personal attack and could be useful? Now this is the interwebs so, considering how hellbent people are to abuse any good tool they find on the web, that will probably explode in my face haha …

So … why not use the vote up thingie now when it’s there? There must be more than 22 of 378 good ideas for improvement? No need to vote up EVERYTHING but there ought to be a handful of votes for at least half of the requests and somewhere up in the double digits for the really good ideas? Especially those people have been talking about for years and they’re still not in Cubase. Click a button when you see one? :sunglasses:

I still don’t really understand it (meaning take this with a grain of salt), but voting here is very different than in the old forums. Rather than having unlimited votes to spread around as you like, we only have a small number of votes (like 5-ish) and when you use a vote it is gone, so you’d only have 4 left. When the topic voted for gets closed (if ever) that vote comes back - but only then. Once you run out of votes - no more voting for you until you get some back.

Why anything would be setup this way is baffling.

In one of the threads about this forum there is some talk of removing the votes because they don’t really accomplish what this community expects from voting.

3 Likes

Yes, @raino, this, and other aspects of the forum setup, will be reviewed in the fullness of time, as Ben has mentioned. I don’t quite get what you mean about voting being different than the old forum?

I do agree with the idea that users should have a finite number of votes, otherwise there’s not much of a difference between votes and likes. But 5 is plainly not enough.

1 Like

This gets to the core of my confusion. To me voting seems like a different name for likes and that is also how I understood @HowlingUlf to be using it.

If voting is intended to indicate something other than liking a post, I haven’t a clue what that might be. What is the intended use of a vote, what purpose it it meant to serve?

The forum is new, and SB folks are evaluating as we go along. It’s not as if someone on high could visualize all possible future scenarios and come up with a once-and-for-all plan.

There is one more difference between voting and likes- you can only vote for topics, but you can like posts.

I asked some questions about the voting system here:

The short answer was “it is unlikely that the SB will use the voting system to prioritize fixes and features.”

Regarding the first post

So if you think your feature request should be taken into consideration maybe you should read and vote for other feature requests as well?

That would not be fair because user themselves should read the topics and judge if it is useful or not. It is in the interest of everyone to improve the software experience, it sounds like bribing to go and chase ppl asking “hey look I voted for your post now you vote for mine”… that would not necessarily ensure that good posts are voted? Plus with the very limited votes availability that is unlikely to happen.

Also, I don’t know if down voting is supported by the forum software but if you down vote a feature request and motivate it with a post telling why then it’s not a personal attack and could be useful?

I think that if a feature is good and makes sense ppl will vote for it, if not simply leave it alone without having to downvote and maybe start endless discussions just because I see it black and you see it white.

The voting system would work if would be a bit clearer that the post is a feature request and that the user interaction (to vote it is requested).
I often collaborate with Autodesk for their software UX and they have this specific board to suggest and vote features that is a bit different from the actual forum. (involving also @Dr.Strangelove for visibility :slight_smile: )

(votes also take another “weight” when they come from a user that has a higher reputation on the forums, and with that I mean more active users, constructive or helpful compared to a new user that is just annoyed at the software and wish to have features XYZ just because he’s mad in that moment)

And last but not least I do agree with @steve that votes are NOT likes, you vote for a topic it is a statement that you WANT that feature (in case of feature request) which is a different thing than adding a <3 to a well written post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also this post is kinda not a feature-request just because has the tag :smiley: (?)
In fact it kinda click-bait me because I was looking for specific feature request…

(this probably belongs in the lounge?)

Personally I think it’s great that people post feature requests but I also think you have to be realistic about how effective these posts are. This is.a user forum and so Steinberg staff don’t even see most of these posts.

How many times have you seen these feature requests actually resulting in added features ? This has always been the case in over 30 years of using Steinberg software.

Steinberg themselves did 2 different OFFICIAL ‘feature requests’ polls in the last 18 months…how many of the top voted requests were implemented ?

If you think voting feature requests on this forum is going to change that…?

just sayin’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it feels nice for us to to be able to ventilate our wishes here? But I personally think Steinberg doesn’t even bother to look in here when it comes to feature requests and only consults with major studio’s and users like Hans Zimmer.

And when you think of it it makes perfect sense? Why dig through all the noise here when you have a list of major users that can perfectly tell you what they need and want in future releases?

I’d even be so bold into saying that Steinberg knows their own help desk sucks in a major way, but they don’t have to bother improving it because we here answer all the questions and solve almost all the issues their users have?

1 Like

Hi @steve, is it possible to take a vote back? I voted for a topic maybe 2 weeks ago or so when I didn’t know the votes were limited. In hindsight, I would rather use it for really important issues to me.

The problem with limited resources for me (and maybe a few others) is that I tend to save/horde them and won’t be using them in the end.

can’t you just ‘unclick’ the vote ?

1 Like

(this probably belongs in the lounge?)

Personally I think it’s great that people post feature requests but I also think you have to be realistic about how effective these posts are. This is.a user forum and so Steinberg staff don’t even see most of these posts.

How many times have you seen these feature requests actually resulting in added features ? This has always been the case in over 30 years of using Steinberg software.

Steinberg themselves did 2 different OFFICIAL ‘feature requests’ polls in the last 18 months…how many of the top voted requests were implemented ?

If you think voting feature requests on this forum is going to change that…?

just sayin’

Well, they could just turn the tag off and not be bothered about feature requests at all

True of course. I have no direct insight but I think they are seeing how some of this works out. It’s very early days for this forum (and a quick :+1: for it as it’s a much more friendly and useful place now) so lets see what (if!) they do to develop it.

The voting system does no harm - apart from possibly setting a false expectation…

What? The votes are limited? This forum doesn’t age very well …

Votes do not befit our situation. A viable workaround is this:

Beneath the first post (that cannot be liked, only voted) the OP can double post (bad form I know), and we like the feature request there. Likes are many more and replenish. So problem solved?

1 Like

@Dr.Strangelove you’re right. Worked, perfectly! Guess I was afraid to use multiple votes on the same topic and didn’t click “Vote” again. Sounds stupid but I’ve seen voting systems like that.
Maybe the button should change to “Unvote” when you’ve voted on a topic.

Edit: spelling

1 Like

After using the forum for a while, I’m of the opinion that votes are not useful at all, and I hope it gets turned off.

There are several problems, the main one being that it’s not clear what the vote is for, because only the most narrowly defined request presents a binary choice.

The like button is basically the same, and does not give the wrong message votes do- mainly that a vote carries some specific meaning, which it does not.

I agree - I don’t think I’ve actually used one yet…or a least not on purpose :slight_smile:

Totally agree.

But it’s odd that the initial post cannot be Liked yet all the responses can.

I looked at the votes as just another sort method. if you go into the Cubase forum, and click the ‘Votes’ tab, it takes you to a page where all the posts in the forum are organized by # of votes. So, it sort of acts like Reditt:

Maybe we’ll get the Phrase Synthesizer:
https://forums.steinberg.net/c/cubase/6/l/latest?order=votes

Imo, that could be useful after 6 months or a year of accumulation, as people can retract their votes and move it to a different feature they now feel is more important.