When MIDI Recording, lanes are not muted

Hi.
When I record midi on the different take, Cubase creates a new lane every time I press the record button but the existing lanes are not muted and as a result, I can hear all lanes while recording the new lane…
Tried different option like a new part, merge, etc but failed to fix it.

How can I mute automatically when recording new lane?
Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe try
MIDI Cycle Record Mode > Stacked ?

as per MIDI Record Modes

I don’t ‘stacks’ mutes the midi from a previous take…only previous lanes on the same take, if that makes sense.

Every time you stop and restart recording the stack ‘resets’.

This relates back to the ‘tape machine’ thread - midi tracks behave differently to audio tracks - as audio tracks can only play one take at a time - no matter how lanes are stacked - they should behave the same…and this particular one is a bit annoying

3 Likes

@Dr.Strangelove You’re right - the automatic muting only happens during the current cycling record. And it doesn’t mute previous recordings.

And I agree, not having that option just creates extra manual work when recording midi. Should definitely be an added feature.

Side note: This hadn’t bothered me much before, since typically I work with midi very differently than with audio:

• With midi, I comp quite rarely, and just edit the midi notes to fix mistakes.
  • If a midi part sucks so badly, that editing is too much work, I delete it before re-recording it (potentially in stacked cycle mode).
  • And if I want to try a musically alternative part, while keeping the old one, I typically use track versions rather than lanes.

But I totally get it, why this Cubase limitation is very annoying for more audio-like recording and editing midi work flows. As you previously said, it should just be another mode for working with midi.

4 Likes

This really needs to be fixed. It’s really important for me while working with my electric drum kit to be able to record takes and have them auto mute and record on new lanes without me having to cycle through a pre-defined section.

Indeed. Actually, I don’t see any difference between the Stacked option and the Mix-Stacked (no mute) one : in both cases, all the previous recorded lanes are hearable while recording. This contradicts what is stated in the Operation Manual and in the Set up MIDI Record Modes menu.

The only way I can avoid the issue - while keeping the use of lanes with MIDI material- is to previously Solo the lane about to be recorded but then, the last lane previously recorded is no longer hearable, of course.

So, this is clearly a bug (two options for the same behavior) that should be reported, I think, unless I am missing something - have checked in the Preferences for anything that could be related, though, without success. This with the latest 11.0.40 Pro version.

Martin ? :innocent:

2 Likes

I wanted to share that I found a temporary fix to this issue while recording on midi lanes. After recording on a midi lane, the take will automatically be highlighted. So long as you have your computer keyboard next to you while you’re tracking, all you have to do is hit Alt+M and it will mute the highlighted track. When you record after this, the previous take will be muted.

Despite the temporary fix, this is an extra step that is somewhat of a hurdle to the creative process. It is however much better than having to solo takes in the lane in my experience.

This doesn’t solve the lack of a good comping solution for midi files after tracking though. That’s a separate issue, and I think in general midi tracking needs to be reapproached by Steinberg in Cubase to remain competitive with other DAWs.

2 Likes

Bump ! As I think that this one should be reported and fixed quickly, even if I don’t use lanes for MIDI recording, contrarily to audio. It is NOT normal to see Cubase behaving in the same way when two different options of a given setting are involved.

@eberhartp
Nice tip. I also tried to find any key command related to ‘lanes’ or ‘part’ management but haven’t had the thought of looking for ‘objects’…

1 Like

It is still NOT FIXED!

1 Like

So, am I right in thinking that If I want to loop over a section of music, and try and come up with something via a midi instrument which is recorded, I’ll continually hear previous takes? There really needs to be an option like when doing audio recordings where you’ll only here what you are playing plus other tracks. This makes it impossible to improvise something and record what you’re getting to you can pick through later?

you may want to see this post further up the thread that details how it works:

yeah, I’ve read that.

It means that whenever you need to restart recording, you need to either delete what was therefore, or duplicate the track with all the settings on it, and clear away the previous takes so you don’t end up with the previous recordings playing. Ugh!

Always thought that I simply did not understand midi recording properly. So I end up editing midi takes, but the end result is far better if you can play the instrument . This needs to be changed by Cubase.

Yes, this is not a good solution in my opinion. Recording modes should behave the same per default.

If one mode has more possibilities than the other (in this case playing several clips on top of each other) this should be an extra option to engage.

There are already so many different ways to set up recording in Cubase and it’s confusing as it is and I believe this is an unnecessary pitfall for users.

Please note - i have created a feature request for CONSISTANT recording modes for audio and midi. There is NO reason why they are different. All options should be available as well for midi as for audio.

Side Remark: To me it is absolutely obvious why this is currently NOT the case:
1st: Midi stacking was in the past seen just as a way to stack drum notes during several passes. Which makes sense - but is a mere oversight: There are other needs for stacking (which are absolutely equal to audio! )
2nd: Audio tracks currently do not allow to play back a “former” lane and listen to the newly recorded lane at the same time. Which is a remaining thing copied from inline-mixing desks in conventional recording studios.

2 Likes

Yes! where is the link to that request so I can vote on it?

And by consistent, it should allow overdubbing for audio as well, and it should be assignable on a track by track basis!

I have my pop production template set up to deal with this among other things. It is extremely elaborate, impractical for composing or mixing, but for song writing it is very useful.

I have “modes” I put a signal chain in with the press of a button specific to that signal chain. I use the word (channel) When in any “record” mode for MIDI, it MUTES the track. Which does not mute the MIDI that you are recording!!! even though you would think that it would. You can’t do this if you have the MIDI going strait in to an Instrument track. Basically, treat the Instrument like it were a rack instrument, even though you made a track for it.

I can’t stand how the record mode is global. I always end up forgetting to set it back after changing it.

1 Like
1 Like

yes, I agree 100% here. I was using reaper last week for someone on a project and loved the fact that i could record takes with midi like audio and comp.

It’s funny the Cubase is held in high esteem with it’s midi yet something as simple as this isn’t implemented.

m

I’m “re-learning” the in’s and out’s of Cubase’s take lane system. I came from the old Sonar Platinum which had a great system for this… Anyway, how I’ve been going about it the past few days is to:
-Open the take Lanes on a MIDI instrument track.
-Record a passage, then stop.
-On the new empty take lane at the bottom, I hit the Solo button and click the area around the Solo button to make sure the new empty lane is selected.
-Recording a new take “Solos” the empty Lane and all I hear is the monitoring of the plugin (or even an audio input, like my bass or guitar) and NOT any of the above takes.

Going forward, I click on the far left area near the Solo button on the newly created empty track and it keeps the Solo enabled. And I just keep doing new takes.
I guess you could set a loop and just keep rolling, but I tend to want to stop and see what I did sometimes. And then continue.
This lets me do multiple takes, BUT I’m still lost when it comes to going back and trying to listen to some of the individual takes. Soloing a particular take Lane doesn’t always let me hear that exact take and I get confused as to which one I’m hearing.
I need help as well…

I find this to be astonishingly bad design.
I’m recording a midi piano accompaniment under a previously recorded vocal track. I want to do a take, listen, evaluate, and do it again. I don’t want to cycle record. I want to stop go, back and record again. And possibly some comping after that. Obviously, I don’t want to hear the other lanes while I recorded new one. Seems to me like this would be one of the most basic of recording procedures.

1 Like