Why no audio input [macOS]?

I just replaced my audio interface (with a MOTU 828es) and have run into a couple of serious issues with Steinberg software!

1. There’s no audio input in Cubase Pro.

I can’t get CB to accept any audio input. (Outputting audio works properly). Let’s go thorough the signal chain…

a) The physical meters and the interfaces software clearly show that it’s working properely:

b) The routing is also correct and actve (shown by the small blue dot)

So far, so good. It appears that the 828es works correctly. Also, WaveLab Pro recieves the audio input correctly

c) Next comes the macOS “Audio/MIDI Setup”. All the “faders” are set to zero, and can’t be changd. However, I doubt that this is the cause, since audio input works in WaveLab Pro.
Audio devices.png
So what about the Cubase settings?

d) The “Studio Set-up” shows that the streams from the 828es are recognised and active.

e) The “Audio Connections” dialog clearly shows that the inputs are correctly set-up. “High-Z 1” is the name I’ve given to one of the frontpanel inputs on the 828es. It works perfectly in WaveLab Pro.

f) The last screen-grab shows that there is no audio input to the track, despite it being connected to the correct input. Neither is there any indication of incomming audoi in the Transport Bar!

Why is there no audio input in Cubase Pro? What am I missing? It must be something that affects all audio inputs simultaneously!

2. No audio output or MIDI input in the stand-alone versions of the Steinberg instruments!

MIDI input and Audio output has dies on all the stand-alone versions of the Steinberg instruments (HALion 6, HALion Sonic, The Grand and Groove Agent). They don’t accept any MIDI input and don’t output any audio (yes, the outputs are set up correctly in the preferenses). I can’t even play them with the on-screen keyboards/pads.

I can’t see how the 828es can inflence MIDI input (I don’t use the 828es’ MIDI interface), but, nevertheless, the issue appeared after I installed the 828es. Also no instruments from other vendors are affected, only the Steinberg instruments.

Now if we just knew what OS you are using… :unamused:
Probably the same problem and solution that is posted across the forums, and on the Steinberg knowledge base - you need to give permission to Cubase in your OS whatever setup - do a search…

1 Like

macOS (as stated in the title) 10.14.5

Cold be more precise on what to search for “Cubase permissions” gives nothing.

1 Like

Thanx. Thast appears to have solved the Cubase part of the audio problems (the instruments remain dead).

It’s not as obvious as people try to make it. I agree with GlennO’s posting.

Also, this is the first time I’ve come across this issue in 20 years, with numerous audio interfaces!

It would be interesting to know what microphone I gave Cubase acesss to. The Mac Pro doesn’t have an inbuilt microphone!

The Audio interface is “the microphone” in that case. But certainly it is not steinberg´s job to release regular updates just to include new messages inside the program that explain the changes introduced by apple.
That´s what the knowledge base is for.

It didn’t block any other of my two latest interfaces (MSR816 or Beringer UMC-1820) I’ve used.

You seem knowlegble, svennilenni. Do you have any idea on what might cause the problem with the Steinberg instruments, as well. (The mic-trick doesn’t work with this.)

No, sorry.

It is definitely Steinbergs job to handle the security mechanisms required by the OS vendor for the application to work. It is incompetence or laziness or maybe both. I can see that it might fail when it is introduced, and it was introduced not that many years a go.

Unlike maybe you, I am not a programmer, but I highly doubt any application on any Computer should handle the security mechanisms introduced by the OS!
Obviously Mac OS also sees it that way, since according to this article it does ask the user.

Apart from that, since the interface itself is available - does Cubase even know the difference between “there is no audio present” or “the input audio is blocked somewhere by the OS”

It is definitely Steinbergs job to handle the security mechanisms required by the OS vendor for the application to work.

you should tell that Apple as well
these changes introduced a lot of hassle in the world, not only in Steinbergs Universe…
we came across many questions related to changes in MacOS in the last years

Apple doing a lot of bad and strange things. This is not one of them. Integrity is really important this days where most of the business seams to be about analysing users for simple things like google that just want to advertise to governments that hunt down that citizens. This behaviour to handle permissions is needed, even google does it with their android. Opt-on for privacy intrusion is a must in Europe and is good.

I’m sorry, don’t want to start a political discussion

Aplle did some things that introduced problems to a lot of audio software vendors
it is ok, it could happen… but to tell everybody that it is not Apples fault and to refuse help in many parts is not ok.
If you buy Logic you get tons of content…
the rules say it is not allowed to use this content in commercial projects…period.
this is one of the most used DAWs
but to hide this information online… is… hmmm… questionable
and all the other things that apple does… they are Gangsters with good design…
restrict warranty… restrict liability… ignore privacy… ignore German laws…

you get the point, I had bad expierience with Apple… so… no political discussion

You are free to use the included content in Logic Pro in your own commercial projects. Apple has the same royalty free EULA as everybody else in the business: you are free to use it in musical projects. The only restriction is: don’t repackage the samples and sell them as your own sample library.

The Apple Software may contain sample content including but not limited to artwork, audio files, audio loops, built-in sound files, graphics, images, impulse responses, photographs, samples, sound sets, sound settings, video files, or similar assets (“Sample Content”). This Sample Content is proprietary to Apple and/or its licensors, and is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including but not limited to copyright. Except as otherwise provided, > all Sample Content included in the Apple Software may be used on a royalty-free basis to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video, and audio projects. > You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Sample Content; however, individual Sample Content assets may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, clipart, music beds, sound effects, sound files, sound libraries, stock animation, or similar assets.

that is different in Germany

can’t find this document for Germany…

It’s the same in Germany.

So it is about 30 lines of code.

Steinberg does take some shady actions, occasionally. Such as bricking audio interfaces, in order to try to force its customers to buy new hardware. However, in this case I believe that Stenberg is without blame. Of the three audio interfaces (Steinberg MR816X, Behringer UMC1820 and MOTU 828es), I’ve used with Cubase the last couple of years, only one (the 828es) has exhibited this issue. Therefore I don’t think that Steinberg is to blame here.

I’d like to see people shouting out about Apple’s hypocracy, though. Apple keeps telling us how they consider security and integrety to be priorities. So why are they forcing us to take actions that entails a clear security risc?

Hackers gaining access to the cameras and microphones in modern computers (pads and phones) is a serious security problem. The more applications that has been given access to these, the more options the criminals have! It is important to deny any software that doesn’t clearly access the camera or michrophone that access, is very important. Just ask anyone dealing with cyber security and cyber crime.

This is something that all audio software manufacturers (not only Steinberg) should take up with Apple, and piont out that this is a serious security risc.

Giving a DAW access to the computers michrophone is not neccasy for it to have accsess to an audio interface, which the MR816 and UMC1820 proves. The only time Cubase needs access to the camera (but not the michrophone) is when you’re using VST Connect.

Apple has made it easy. A audio input streams are equal. And there is no way that apple can know what you connect to your audio stream. And I think most of the audio interfaces connected to a computer is not intended for music production.

Then…Why does one audio interface require that you give programs risky access, when two others don’t? I guess “Everyone’s equal. But some are more equal than others”.