Will cubasis 3 ever have real send to bus feature with a real bus channels?

Hi, Will cubasis 3 ever have real send to bus feature with a real bus channels?
I like to have the same options as a normal DAW,
-channels with multiple sends with volume levels
-real bus channels that receive the signals

Possible soon?

1 Like

Hi GavrielRafael,

Thank you for your message.

In regards to effects/channels, Cubasis follows the same concepts as Cubase.

Tracks can have up to 8 insert effects per track, or up to 8 global send effects.

The app also features group tracks, to combine single tracks, as well as discrete input/output channels, when connecting a capable audio device.

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Lars,

I have a related question in the following topic:

ie., would it be possible to route group channels to other group channels in the future? For example I mix drums as follows: group channel for kicks, group channel for snares → route the output of these two channels to “drums” group channel.

Thanks, Kim

Hi Lars,

A “Group” and a “Buss” are not the same thing.

For the past few days I’ve experimented quite a bit with Cubasis’s Groups feature. What I learned is that I can’t create a Group for reverb and another for delay and route the same sources (say piano and B3) to both. Cubasis only routes a given source to one group, making this method impossible.

This would have been useful for those attempting the Peter Decker method of building a template with the routing and plug-ins all ready, and using faders on effects busses to “dial in” the desired amount of the effect.

Another example to clarify why this is useful: parallel compression. Decker sets up a buss for parallel compression, routes a number of instruments to the buss, then uses the buss fader to include the amount of processed sound desired. Sometimes he will bring both of these busses to a third buss, which then feeds to the master channel, all in service of presetting all parameters to speed mixing. This method depends on being able to also route the sources directly to the master channel or another buss, delivering both processed and unprocessed sound.

The closest I have to come to this in Cubasis is presetting effects like reverb, delay, double-tracking and compression (for high ratio parallel compression) into the effects send slots of the relevant tracks, and using the mix slider to dial these effects in and out.

This is workable for me, as I’m only recording a few tracks. For anyone doing a larger project, the send busses will be absolutely required.

Is a true buss (really busses) a feature we can expect in a future Cubasis release?

Incidentally, to learn more about Decker’s incredibly logical approach that has produced 16 number 1 hits, look here:
Template Mixing and Mastering:… https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785007491?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks,
Dov

Sorry, it’s Billy Decker, not Peter Decker.

Lars, any answer regarding future support for true busses?

Hi @dovjgoldman,

Thanks for your message.
As of yet, we have no further information to share about bus support changes unfortunately.

Best,
Lars

Do you have any information please regarding arrival or no possibility to do BUS? the fact of not being able to do parallel processing with real buses makes the application totally useless in the mixing phase or more. :no_mouth:

@Hola_Panda until Lars works his magic and delivers real bus functionality, I found a solution that works surprisingly well:

Here’s a link to my post describing the plug-in and how I tested it.

1 Like

@dovjgoldman Thank you for your reactivity, I will read your technique. I have just found an alternative also using NEON AUDIO EDITOR, which allows me to create an unlimited number of buses and auxes in cubasis. I just hope that by loading this AUV3 every time I won’t overload :weary:

@Hola_Panda please update us all in this forum once you’ve tried Neon Audio Editor. Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

@dovjgoldman you can find this tips here : on youtube channel of Paako_bravoo. The name of the video is “Cubasis 3.4 AUX Tracks (with Neon audio editor”. Or you can just write Cubasis + Neon audio in the search bar.

In summary :
Add audio track (it will be the bus) => insert NEON => sidechain neon with the track => put neon in pre (it’s port by default). Into neon select duck => click on main (it become side) and click on monitor. That’s all. If you want see the audio track, u must freeze it.

You must repeat this process for each track you want add into the BUS (add one neon by track)

Good morning overloading. :hot_face:

@Hola_Panda thanks for the detailed info!

Curious how this affects the DSP usage.

So far, I’ve had no problems with the ApeMatrix plug-in.

@dovjgoldman do u have please a video demonstration of your method with apematrix ?

I’ll make one when I have some time. Likely won’t be this week (getting over Covid).

1 Like

@Hola_Panda Sorry about the scratchy sound quality when I’m touching the screen!

I hope this helps…

Using ApeMatrix Mixer Send Receive to create real busses in Cubasis

In case you were curious, the reverb and delay are FabFilter’s Pro-R and Timeless 3 plug-ins. FabFilter and DDMF are my “go to” plug-in product lines in Cubasis. Unlike some of the other publishers, both of these companies truly support IOS and iPad UI, with amazing-sounding plug-ins. Highly recommended!

2 Likes

@dovjgoldman super démonstration :smiley::smiley::smiley: ! I buy apematrix to do the same routing. I hope it’s not very complicated for understand :sweat_smile:. I use Fabfilter too. DDMF, just the MDE and MDEST. Maybe i will buy the magicverb if the price reduce.

@Hola_Panda ApeMatrix is a package of many plug-ins. For the bus use case, you only need to load Mixer Send Receive. It’s literally as simple as I showed in the video.

I found the key was to write down what each bus letter stands for (A=Drums, B=Instrument Reverb, etc.) to make it work.

For me, having a pre-built mix template is crucial for all of my plug-in use. As I refine this template, every time I use it, it gets easier and more effective. For example, because I already have the busses in Mixer Send Receive configured, I don’t think about it. I just dial in the amount of instrument reverb I need (for example) and it works.

I also recommend anyone new to mixing (like me) check out Billy Decker’s book (see the beginning of the thread). He explains how to build a very complete template that covers a wide variety of needs. I found Mixer Send Receive just so I could implement Decker’s concept of ready-to-go busses for one-fader control over parallel compression and other effects for groups of instruments.

2 Likes

Hi @Hola_Panda,

Thanks for doing this research and testing!

What you are saying makes sense from my experience. I have not been able to get the Cubasis latency compensation working, which is likely because of the ApeMatrix latency.

At the moment I’m working other aspects of my project outside of Cubasis. Once I am ready to start recording, I will give Neon a try.

Thanks again!

Hi.
Thank you for this tip with ApeMatrix. However, when I try it on a fresh template I get horrible crackles even if the dsp level is very low (about 10%).

Even before creating the group track, as soon as I activate the send/receive plug in, it sounds weird. The sound level gets higher, with- I believe - a little phasing. So I guess the original material gets mixed with the send bus, even if I haven’t created the return track yet.
I can mitigate this by going full wet in the effect return track (which means that my original feeling of the send bus being summed with the original track might be correct).

Am I doing something wrong ?

APEMATRIX generates distortions and shifts the phase. You can see this by zooming in on the waveforms and using the phase inverter. I had posted an answer with an explanatory video and photo, but I deleted it by mistake. Neon remains the best alternative to this day. If needed, I can give you the verification process.

2 Likes