Bar Repeats - Cannot do 3 bar repeat

Unless I’m missing something - the Subject says it all. We’re limited to 1, 2, & 4. Sigh. . . :frowning:

I think John Barron in his last video shows the option to make it 3, but I might as well be mistaken.

John B mentions three-bars in the measure-repeats section, but he does not show how to do it, and the properties do not give the option for a three-measure repeat. So I think he may have meant that one could have the repeat measures counted off at three-measure intervals.

If I am wrong, I really hope John will show how to do it (although in my case, this is just idle curiosity speaking).
repeatBars.png

How about p27 in the version history ?

Nice one Marc, but you have to link to it or someone grumbles they can’t find it :wink:

http://download.steinberg.net/automated_updates/sda_downloads/Dorico-2-2.0.0-44b04f1e-3f76-4fad-a938-d35e5f7dbd19/Dorico_2.0_Version_History.pdf

I still don’t see how to start a 4-measure repeat with a three-measure repeat even after checking the Engrave Option.
(I don’t know why I care, since I’ll never use this; but I’d still like to know how. Ego, perhaps.)

It’s not a four-bar repeat: it’s a one bar repeat, grouped into fours, and then with the first incomplete group of three bars shown as a three-bar repeat. See page 27 in the Version History document.

Okay, I got it to work (more or less stumbled on it, actually). I had read p 27, but apparently the order in which one does things has an effect.
Thanks, everyone, for your patience.

Daniel - Any chance of getting a three bar repeat? %3?

I’d be interested to hear more about the situations in which you’d like to use a three-bar repeat. We didn’t add it because we’ve never come across it in any literature and it seems like a recipe for confusion, but I’m open to persuasion!

Would be great to have a three bar repeat for a piece I’m doing now, which is based on a repetitive three bar pattern. It would save a lot of space in some of the parts (especially the drum part) and make it much clearer. But it’s quite exceptional I guess, doesn’t happen all that often…

1 Like

5 bar repeat, 7 bar repeat and so on would be nice.

1 Like

How is that a standard? I have never seen this notation… It’s rather unlikely that the devs implement such a thing, but who knows… :wink:

1 Like

One and 2 bar repeats, properly used, are standard. Anything else is bogus notation. Refer to Clinton Roemer “The Art of Music Copying” for examples of clear, professional layouts.

1 Like

Dave Holland starts Prime Directive with a three bar groove repeated.
(We have a 12 beat feel going on here and he as chosen to write it as three bars of 4/4)
Thus a %3 bar repeat would communicate his intentions immediately and clearly. (That’s why I came across this, assuming I could do %n instead of the way he’s written it out longhand)

Drums, Trombone, Bass parts each have this same rhythmic pattern.

1 Like

It’s easy enough to find examples of music with 3-bar repeating patterns, and other lengths besides 1, 2, & 4. And of course Dorico’s interface already suggests a way to enter them in a popover. But the question is How can this be notated clearly?? I think in order to implement this the Team will need published examples. I have yet to see one.

1 Like

Given that there are works where the bars are grouped in threes (parts of Beethoven IX Scherzo and Dukas’ L’apprenti sorcier, etc) I can well imagine that three bar repeats might be useful on occasion.

David

3 Likes

just been commissioned to write a series of percussion ensemble pieces. Full of repeating 3 and 5 bar patterns. Score space on stands is a real issue in the set up. Three and five bar repeats much needed.

2 Likes

Can you show an example of how would you write these?

Roemer has an example of 3-bar repeats in “The Art of Music Copying.”

I honestly would always write this out to avoid confusion, but if implemented I guess that’s one way to do it. It’s certainly easy enough to find 3-bar grooves in jazz anyway. In addition to the Dave Holland example above, the bass line on the vamp on Freddie’s One of a Kind or Branford’s Citizen Tain are both 3-bars.

4 Likes