BBC SO Template for Vienna Ensemble Pro?

Hello,
Here is my way to use Vienna Ensemble Pro for BBC SO, but I think it’s the same for other VSTs.
Please note that for reasons of simplicity I took BBC SO Core and made only Woodwinds, but you can really easily develop the instructions for other orchestra sections.
Moderators, I hope this post isn’t too long for this thread: don’t hesitate to move or clean it if needed: thanks!

1. Create VEPro Instance(s)
    In Vienna Ensemble Pro, create all the instance(s) with the instruments wanted for your project.
    Please check midi ports and midi channels (don’t forget to increment the latter on each instrument).

2. Load BBC SO Core Playback Template
    In Dorico, go to Play tab, and in Play Menu select “Playback Template…” item.
    In the dialog select BBC SO Core and click “Apply and Close”.
    As stated before, applying this playback template will load needed BBC SO Core expression maps.

3. Add a new VST Instrument and set it to VEP Pro
    In Dorico, still in Play Tab, add a new VST Instrument (by clicking the “+” icon on the bottom of the “VST Instruments” footer) and select “Vienna Ensemble Pro”

4. Display the Vienna Ensemble Pro window
    Display the Vienna Ensemble Pro window clicking on the “e”.

5. Connect to the Vienna Ensemble Pro instance
    Click on Connect on the Vienna Ensemble Pro window and select the instance created in Vienna Ensemble Pro

6. Create the players
    In Dorico, go to the Setup tab to create the players that correspond to the Vienna Ensemble Pro instance

7. Remove unwanted VST Instruments loaded by current playback template
    Select newly added VST Instruments by selecting and clicking on the trash bin.

8. Set Vienna Ensemble Pro VST Instruments for all players
    In Doric Play tab, for each player set the VST Instrument to the Vienna Ensemble Pro VST instrument.
    Don’t forget to increment midi channels!

9. Set right expression map and rename endpoint configuration
    Display the Endpoint of the Vienna Ensemble Pro VST Instrument by clicking on the cog wheel.
    Then, in the expression map column, select the right expression map for each instrument.
    Save the endpoint configuration by clicking the bottom left button.

10. Create New Playback Template
    In Dorico Play tab, in the Play menu, select “Playback Template…” item: in the dialog, create a new template by clicking on the big “+” button and name it.

11. Choose Playback Template correct endpoint configuration
    Click the button “Add Manual” and select the correct endpoint configuration we just created.

You can check if the newly created playback template has a good endpoint configuration by clicking on the “Endpoint Configurations…” button.

12. Check Playback Template is displayed in Playback Templates dialog
    Check that your Playback Template appears in the playback template lists dialog.

It can also be interesting to export your playback template using the “Export…” button to use your playback template on other projects.

It could be interesting to watch the Dorico youtube video Custom Playback Templates | New Features in Dorico 3

I hope this little tutorial will help!

Best regards,
Gil.

20 Likes