CP8's disgusting performance..? fixed with updates

Yes mate it is…

Fwiw reading through some of your woes… i do feel for you bro cos C7 was a NIGHTMARE for me, but i do feel that your issues are either hardware or config related after getting a new machine myself most of the issues i was having disappeared…

Hi, I have no idea how to apply the regedit you mention…what do I do? copy and paste it into the registry…but where?

cheers, Kevin

OK, I got to Steinberg Cubase 8 64 bit in the registry but where do I put “GraphicsAcceleration”=dword:00000000
please, I’m thinking it goes in the field on the right but want to be sure…never done this stuff before…

Kevin

Shadow, are you using Waves plugins in the project? If so, you can try their “no context sharing” fix to see if it helps. It’s easy to try.

My other suggestion is to create the exact same project (and I mean exact), with same busses, fx, etc. between Studio One and Cubase. With no detail missed. Even a single channel or insert different between the two could show one DAW as not maxing and the other as being maxed out.

Also, make sure your audio interface driver’s buffer is set the same between the two (for apples to apples).

I did this a few years ago in a massive shootout between Reaper, Cubase, Studio One and Sonar. Studio One performed worse in my use-cases, compared to Cubase and this was before ASIO Guard (which improves Cubase even more).

After doing all that, if you’re seeing Studio One doing much better than Cubase on the same project, then something is probably wrong and needs narrowing down, because Cubase should be doing equal or better than Studio One.

In fact, there are some complaining on the Presonus forum that Studio One v3 is doing even worse than v2. I have v3, but have not run my tests on it yet, so I can’t confirm.

This is not true with Reaper, however. Reaper will do better than any other DAW, performance-wise, by a huge margin. They’ve got some blackmagic under the hood. So testing against Reaper will not be a very useful test.

Also, don’t be put-off by the ASIO Guard name. It’s just what Steinberg is calling their approach to the “hybrid audio engine” which is something Reaper and Logic have had for years.

I’m curious to know what plugins and fx is the OP actually using…

I don’t know much about the Beatles but I believe it might of been 2 4 tracks but what people forgets is… There will have been bounces so likely way more than 4 tracks, theoretically (CAN’T THINK OF THE RIGHT WORD).

Hi Shadow

One more thing go check is a bug bear of mine cos it happened to me a couple of years back. It is worth downloading a (free) CPU temperature monitor and seeing that the CPU isn’t getting too hot. It caused some REALLY strange behaviour in my case. Probably not that but, worth checking anyway!

Best Regards

Dave

Kevin - here is how to do it - mostly copied from ggc’s initial post:

Windows:
GOTO: Registry Editor.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH\Steinberg Cubase 8 64bit
Right-click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name it GraphicsAcceleration and ensure its value is set to 0.

Yes of course they bounced tracks…I recently produced a song using only 4 tracks (as an experiment) and bouncing when needed…it gets quite complicated…

Hi, I’ve got all that stuff with my Fatal1ty motherboard and it shows no probs…

Valhalla verb and all plugins are cubase’s own…

certainly can’t afford Waves plugins and I’ve done what you said regarding comparing projects…

maybe I need to re affirm that my cubase projects work OK and the reason for my post is…‘‘why the heck does the performance meter keep telling me cubase can’t handle the project’’?

If I turn off ASIO guard I get massive distortion…had puter guy check everything out and he said no probs…I’ll try dropping to 64 as you suggest…

My sincere thanks to you all for trying to help… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Keven check this thread and not sure if it has any bearing but he has the same sound card as you. Looks like trashing preferences cured his problems. Worth a look and try anyway.

OK did that and the meters gone down by half… success!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

still get distortion If I turn ASIO guard off though…

thanks again to all… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Kevin, there is a Registry hack you may wish to try.

However, before going further, please be aware that editing the Registry is potentially dangerous and may break the system totally; the worse case scenario is to re-format and reinstall everything all over again.

this hack was a contribution made to another forum along with many others who had started and contributed to that thread.

what this does is to disable all other HD Audio Devices in the system. Some of these are Window’s stuff and other instances of corruption and or just badly written programming left over due to multiple preferences changes… errr or just something not working right…

my suspicion is that some thing within the HD6800 HDMI driver giving problems.

upon your restart, if you go into the Control Panel and view the Device Manager, you will see a yellow exclamation mark icon over “High Def Audio Controller” - all is well.

WARNING ***** REGISTRY HACK ******

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HDAudAddService - set Start to 4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HDAudBus - set Start to 4

Steps:

1. Open the RegEditor - regedit
  2. Search thru the tree on the left for the two keys stated above. (they are just one above / below the other)
  3. Right-Click on Start (on the right) > select Modify > change to 4 (its currently set at 3)

Make sure you do it for both keys. Then close off the Registry Window and restart the system.

******* END REGISTRY HACK ************

good luck and hope this helps. Cheers!!!

Hi keyzs I’m in device manager now and there is no yellow exclamation mark over the High def audio controller…in properties it says the device is working.
the problem seems to have gone away (or been reduced significantly) by the registry addition I just performed so maybe I should leave well alone now…

cheers, Kevin

Glad you had some success Kevin - you can also usually disable the HDMI audio in the BIOS of your computer,
so don’t have to do a registry edit. I have disabled it in the BIOS of my Asus Z87-K motherboard

Good news Kevin looks as though you are getting there, fingers crossed for you and do a backup while things are working well.

Gerry

Hi Kevin, happy to hear it has helped in some way. i’ve attached 2 screen shot as a reference.

http://keyzs.zapto.org/dl/reg_edt.jpg

http://keyzs.zapto.org/dl/ctrl_panel.jpg

Basically the Control Panel verification is just to confirm that there will be no more additional “HD Audio” drivers types being detected by Windows. And hopefully, again, whenever there is installation of new hardware or updates done.

once again hope it helps and all the best. cheers!!!