How to inverse the direction of Shift + Mouse Wheel

I’ve always been a Mac Cubase user, and never thought that switching to Windows Cubase would be such a headache with this ridiculous inversion. My workflow has completely changed due to this, and I have actually considered leaving Cubase because of this. Even with x-mouse (which doesn’t work half of the time) this is pretty absurd in my opinion. I don’t think Steinberg will ever really listen to us here, as I have not heard a peep about this glitch. I mean, I would understand if this happened the same way in both mac and pc, but to have one different from the other is beyond me. It makes me wonder what else is wrong with the software under the hood.

+1. More customization in scrolling and zooming hotkeys in general would be really nice, but like this simple toggle in settings is a must tbh.

Can this be true? This thread has been existing since 2014 - thats 7 years and still Steinberg dit not react - let alone add this feature to their software!
If it’s such a big deal, maybe they could at least write some reply here, why it can’t be done.
Does anyone at Steinberg ever look into this forum? Do they provide any other platform for their BUYERS to ask for new features?
Well, whatever, add me to the list for this feature (changing scroll direction that is)…
+1 !!!

3 Likes

+1 Please
For Cubase and Nuendo

1 Like

As a Mac User, I recognized an almost duplicate ticket that describes the problem (and it’s solution) from another (imho more precise) perspective: Horizontal Scrolling inverted / opposite between Windows and Mac - #4 by LasseTurunen

All the members that posted “+1” or something similar (as voting didn’t exist back then), consider that the devs might go for votes only and not really recognize your needs. So please consider voting.

3 Likes

Still no solution. I don’t want to install 3rd party program on my computer for this. Please Steinberg!

2 Likes

It’s really weird that in Windows the shift + scroll is inverted.

It’s like Steinberg hardcoded this for Mac users?

Personally even on macOS I don’t like what Apple calls “natural”. Feels very unnatural to me.

2 Likes

Totally agree, my solution was to buy the MX Master 3 mouse which has a horizontal scroll wheel. I could never go back to a mouse without one now.

2 Likes

There should be a “reverse” or “invert” check box for every type of zoom or scroll function, including but not limited to:
horizontal scroll
vertical scroll
vertical zoom
horizontal zoom
increase track size
decrease track size
any sort of pinch/zoom/trackpad feature thingy

Too many of us use other programs that have drilled into our brains a specific way to navigate, and having a checkbox to reverse these options is just too easy a solution not to implement.

2 Likes

+1

@Matthias_Quellmann

Just a small selection I did quickly of “supporters” on this issue.
There is propaby many many more of us if that helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LogicPro/comments/l406cg/the_mouse_wheel_zoomscroll_tips_i_figured_out/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwig/comments/guwq7r/using_shiftscroll_wheel_to_scroll_horizontally/

1 Like

It really boggles the mind that Steinberg can create such amazing functions, yet something as basic as this can go for years without getting fixed. It is maddening. I feel like I need to take Tylenol every time I use Cubase.

I don’t want to clutter my system with some shareware that may have other destructive effects. Does anybody know of a mouse product that has the ability to compensate for this? If I can solve the problem by buying a better mouse, I’ll do that, but seriously …

this needs to be fixed already.

3 Likes

Thanks richlum! Nice workaround.
Currently, to make it works as expected, in the 'Modifier Keys" tab, it must be checked for the checkbox of “Enable modifier keys”.

Hello.
Same question than in Dec 2014 and many other people.
Is there any way to inverse the direction of Shift + Mouse Wheel ?
I find it very counter intuitive.
Thanks.

Where are we with this, Steinberg? Seems like such an incredibly easy toggle to put into the program that would make so many people very happy.

1 Like

9 Years, 42 posts in this thread alone (I’m sure there’s others with the same topic) and still no change??
Does anybody at Steinberg ever care or even read this?

4 Likes

No, there’s no way to do this as of Cubase 13. I did a video on how to get this using AutoHotkey but that still has caveats.

Steinberg need to properly implement this sooner rather than later…

2 Likes

+1
Happy New Year!

Thank you for this! I can scream at my computer JUST a little bit less now.

1 Like

Sorry but having to use a work around when steinberg have had this request for nearly a decade is quite pityfull.

Steinberg… please liten to your users and apply a fix…

2 Likes

Let me tell my new experience since they released long awaited super driver that allows to run two programs simultaneously sharing the same audio device. I run Dorico and Cubase when scoring, WaveLab and Cubase when mastering. In both combinations Dorico and WaveLab behave correctly when scrolling the mouse with Shift key pressed, but Cubase - in the opposite direction. IT IS VERY INCONVENIENT.

Why Cubase programmers cannot swap functions that ar called on mouse roll actions?