UR22 mkII - Audio dropouts problem

Well today I tried something different. I uninstalled the tools and yamaha USB driver, rebooth, and then I rolled back to the previous tools/driver installer v 2.16. Reboot, open Nuendo, open Yamaha USB driver ASIO settings, obviously the drop down menu with the various settings (aka lower latency/stable etc) is gone. I choosed the lowest buffer. Noticed that this driver doesn’t go as low buffer/latency as the newer, with wich at first I was getting down to 2ms or so, stable operation. Anyway I choosed the lowest buffer setting (64 samples), giving me a latency of 5.261ms, still not bad. I then loaded the same session, no dropouts at all, stable playback at the lowest buffer setting. Now, at the begining, the newer driver with the drop down menu was giving me excelent, stable performance even at the lowest buffering settings, and I remember I started getting the dropouts after windows did some update, so there must be something that was added to that driver, that with a windows update got screwed up. I’m going to keep working with 2.16 tools for now, because 2.21 at the end was giving me dropouts AT ANY BUFFER SETTING, not just low buffer settings, it was very unstable. I did enjoy whatever that driver had to lower even more the buffer settings, I hope Steinberg can find whatever went wrong.
Just want to note that the performance meter was never pegged, the load was very small, and I still was getting dropouts no matter what buffer setting I choosed. Also remember that I also tried switching to my eleven rack ASIO driver and Axe FX, both at their lowest buffer setting and the droputs were gone and everything was smooth sailing.

Hi Berns
What version of yamaha USB is installed with the version of tools that you mention?

USB2.0 or USB3.0 ports?
if anybody has USB2.0 ports on his mainboard he should use that for audio interfaces with USB2.0 connection

in most Intel chipsets is a bug related to USB3 that prevents most audio interfaces from working
in some cases a chipset/BIOS update helps

Right now I’m back to tools V2.1.6, and driver in that is V1.9.11
Mu UR28M is, as always has been, on a USB 3.0 port. I’ve never had a single issue since just recently after the newest driver/windows updates. With the older driver its been more stable now, but I still get ocassional dropouts, but much less. With driver V2.0.3 suddenly it was dropout city, with any session load, even very light session…
Going to try USB 2.0 just for luck, but Its weird, shouldn’t had to do that if it was working fine before. Also, why does my Eleven rack and Axe FX II work fine under ASIO? they are also plugged in USB 3 ports…clueless… :confused:

Has anyone tried the new 2.0.4 driver? I did, no luck, still dropout city, my UR28M is not even useable, I’m so pissed off…Went back to V1.9.11 with less dropouts but at least useable…

I tried everything I could find here and on internet on my computer and nothing worked. I keep getting dropouts (USB white light turning on and off). The only positive is I found a way to reproduce the effect each time.

AMD 3900X 4.3Ghz
64Gb DDR 3600Mhz
MB ASUS Crosshair Hero 8 X570
RTX 3090 ASUS TUF OC

Anybody knows an USB audio interface not affected at all by these dropouts ? As a content creator, I need an interface that won’t turn off and on when I’m broadcasting. The side effects of these dropouts are also out of synch sound, distortion of playback sound from the PC that makes very uncomfortable my live broadcasts. Help ?

me too, new drivers and the same dropouts…

Hi,

I´m stuck with the same problem on my AG03… Does anybody here is a moderator or something to give some help?

BR

Well here’s my last development. After trying to roll back on the W10 version, and managing to totally corrupt my steinberg tools and usb driver installation, being able to uninstall or reinstall at all, aftern trying things like ccleaner, and a bunch of other registry cleaning tools etc etc. I got hugely frustrated working with headphones and using my eleven rack as interface, I said screw it, and install a reinstall W10 from scratch, using an old version from a installation CD, putting my daw offline to avoid Windows update, installing all newest drivers for mobo, AGP etc, and the last tools and driver from Steinberg and Nuendo. I loaded a sesión, loaded some plugins, put the driver to low latency and reduced the buffer to the lowest setting. Got a latency of 2.5 ms and fire it up. I was expecting drop out city as before, but to my surprise there were none. I continued loading some plugins, setting a loop, and just keep playing. Finally managed to get a dropout and the dreaded USB interruption message on the driver configuration. But this was more normal behaviour to me, like it used to be. I mean after all, I was at the lowest buffer settings, with low latency setting and It was just a single dropout, were before I would get crazy drop outs all the time and with much more conservative buffer settings. So definetly there’s something going on in the last Windows updates that really screws up the Yamaha driver’s performance for good. BTW I have not done any special configuration to this fresh Windows install yet, have not even set the basic stuff like the power settings, etc. Nor did I disabled Intel stepping, turbo mode, and all the other suggestions on steinberg’s suggestions, blah blah. In the Bios I only reloaded the factory settings (optimum configuration option), and after installing Windows, I just proceded to install the UR28M Tools/drivers and Nuendo afterwards, that was all.
I’m going to continue installing and loading all my stuff from backup, do the usual Windows optimizations that are suggested everywhere, and for now, I’ll just keep the DAW offline and continue like that.

Did a little more testing, the current windows 10 version I’m at now is 1903 ok?
With my simple Nuendo 10.3/UR28M Tools 2.2.1/Yamaha USB driver 2.0.4 install, and with the Bios setup with optimized (default) settings, I proceeded to follow the windows 10 optimization suggestions available everywhere, including steinberg’s. After that, I wanted to do a little test session that I could try in different configurations. So I made a 24 track mono session, with a loaded wavefile in each channel, just some acoustic tracks to load the disk, I installed my Plugin Alliance Mix n Master pack, loaded one of their channel strip plugs in each channel (one instance per channel), obviously loaded a preset for each, just to make sure the plugin is loading the CPU as would be. I then created some groups with compressors, and set sends from all the channels through them. Then I inserted some instances of retrologue, and one instance of groove agent SE. I lowered thr buffer to 96 samples (roughly 4-5 ms, good enough for me).
I hit playback and put groove agent in monitor and trigger some of its sounds from my CMC-PD in realtime. Previously, just when my setup went to hell with the windows updates, a session like this would have been droputs every second. This time everything worked much more better. The nuendo load meter was a little above 1/4. I did manage to get 2 dropouts, but it worked much more smoothly overall, nothing like before.
I then save the session, booted up, went into bios, proceeded to turned off all speed step settings, asus tweakings, turbos, c-states and what not, anything I could find in regards to making the CPU work at variable clock speeds, etc etc. Basically followed the suggestions from steinberg and shut down anything soundind related :smiley:
I saved settings and reboted, loaded the session, same settings as prevosuly. I noticed that the stienberg load meter was a little higher than previosly, but this time, with same buffer settings, hitting play and monitor in real time samples triggered with GA everything felt so much smooth. I did not get any droputs, even opened IE to browse a webpage while still playing back and triggering samples from GA, and using the CMC AI knob as jog, jumping playback all over through the track while at the same time keeping triggering GA samples in real time from the CMC PD. So there you go, with the bios as default, performace according to the load metter is better, but in practice, with the bios tweaks suggested by steinberg, altough the load seems to be a little more, the performance in general felt much more smooth overall. Now my last test, I’m currently uograding windows to the last 10-2004 may release. I want to make sure that this previosuly was the cause of rendering my system useless. If it behaves erratically again I will just do a last fresh install of 10-1903 and all my stuff, unplug my DAW from the internet, forget all this every happened and continure working… :smiley: :smiley:

everyone face same issues, usb led goes away for 2 sec there is no sound, no microphone nothing. it makes me cancer. kind of reseting itself i dont know.

Same for me, audio dropouts for 2/3 seconds, white light USB goes off. However, the issue only happens when im listening to something online, regardless of the platform. If i listen to something via windows media player/vlc, ableton, no issue. As soon as i listen to something online i get audio drop outs very frequently. I have good stable internet connection.

Same issue UR44 MK I. Dropouts while recording.

Thought the issue had gone away, bit no.

This has proved extremely costly for me in wasted time. Steinberg: you are pathetic

Hey guys!

I had the same issue reported here, tested a lot (capping CPU to 99% etc.) and finally found a solution.

TL;DR:

1. Uninstall your current Steinberg USB drivers.
  2. Download and install these very old drivers from Feb 2013 which offically do not even support Windows 10:
    http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/Yamaha_Steinberg_USB_Driver/PC/1.7.3/YSUSB_V173_Win64.zip

Long version:
After testing all of the stuff posted here I tried the older version 2.0.3 from March 2020 on the official website:

That did not change anything.

I checked the official driver versions in the wayback machine of the official Steinweg Drivers website from March 2016:

First I tried the newer USB Driver 1.9.6 from 2. November 2015 but that did not solve my problem.
The driver version 1.7.3 from Feb 2013 solves the issue for me under Windows 10, I am not getting audio interrupts any more, before installing those drivers I got interrupts every 10-20 seconds.

I hope it solves your issues, too!

Greetings!
Ben

4 Likes

I have the very same problem with my Yamaha AG06 mixer. And it’s definitely not a device problem, as it works smoothly on Linux Laptop (even via USB3 hub on my Dell display with USB3 KVM integrated). But when I used it on my W10 desktop I had all of the described problems. Sound is glitching and more of that, rewinding the video on Youtube stops the sound until I restart the device.

I tried all of the proposed solutions - disabling network, direct USB2 connection, different cables, old drivers, disabling the Power Management and economy mode (strange that nothing of that affects Linux machine). Older drivers were ‘the best’ solution - now my sound only glitches once per 10 seconds without stopping the video. But that’s definitely a huge problem with drivers. Shame on Steinberg it’s not resolved yet.

Does Steinberg offer support?
It doesn’t seem that they post solutions in the threads and I opened a the live chat but it’s been “connecting to an agent” for over 10 minutes now. No sign of life.
This is very frustrating. Today, my UR22 mkII just completely stopped working. No sound at all even after installing the latest drivers.

Installing 2013 drivers solved the problem in half. Dropouts disappeared. There are rare, not particularly annoying glitches. But with such old drivers, DAW stopped seeing the card. So I still cannot record anything.
I think this proves that the problem is in the drivers, nothing more. Not solving it, Steinberg is rapidly losing any loyalty. They should be doing their job.

please do something , you need to fix this i payed like 120 euro for this audio interface and there is no support!

2 Likes

Hi to all,
I have the same issue with my Yamaha AG06.
So, the issue is made by Yamaha Driver and not from Steinberg.
I have this dropout since I have bought the soundcard.
I have found a little stability with an old version of my graphic card driver, the graphic card is a sapphire r9 390 nitro. If I use the latest version of the driver the dropouts are more frequent and massive. Using the old driver I have the dropouts but are not extreme like the last version of the graphic card driver.
I also make editing video, and it is impossible to edit video because the dropouts generate a desynchronization between audio and video.
I hope that Yamaha makes a new stable and compatible driver as soon as possible!!!

Well,
Now I have tested uninstalling AMD Adrenalin and Radeon driver.
My computer now use the standard windows graphic card driver and the drop outs are disappeared. All works fine, both audio DAW (Cubase) and video editing software (Edius).
I hope and think that this would be a defintive solution in may computer but I hope that AMD Radeon and Yamaha will can do a bug fix to work fine together in the real next future, because the graphic card needs to have its specific driver.

1 Like