UR22 mkII - Audio dropouts problem

Hello everyone, unfortunately I also occasionally have these “dropouts”. I noticed that I can provoke this by clicking on News in the BattleNet Launcher (Blizzard). Then I directly get a dropout. Or if I stream in Discord in a quality higher than 720p. I’m glad this only happens with certain applications, but I don’t think it should be like this. Sometimes they do occur spontaneously, but fortunately this is rare. I still hope to find a solution.

Also when I press the screenshot button, I have a short dropout.

Here is my system, Ryzen 5950X with 32GB Ram and a 3090RTX. I use a UR22C.
I have already tried the following things: latest drivers, new bios, energy options, leave RAM frequency at default.
Unfortunately without success.

I hope I can find a solution here.

I’m just joining in as I am in the same boat as the rest, and it’s gone on for several months. I’ve tried what seems to be a thousand solutions with no results. I’m curious how many fixes have actually stayed fixed. I might have a couple days of hope to find the problem returning.

You wonderful human 2 days of anger and frustration wiped away by you fantastic solution.

Well l really think this piece of hardware UR22MkII and it seems maybe even the UR22c from Steinberg/Yamaha should not have even been put into the market unless they are/were prepared to say it won’t work with this Motherboard or this OS etc, I have the following system.

MB X99A
CPU - i7 5820K
Ram 32gig
OS is on SSD
VST library on SSD
GPU 2080 Super
UR22MkII
DAW Cubase 11

I have tried EVERY system setting basically that has flied around the web and l still get dropouts like every 60-120sec, with Cubase just maxing out with audio performance and its not a build up on the graph, its just instantaneous to the red and this is with a buffer sizeof 2048! USB dropouts are less but that’s with no other USB connections.

But this is the kicker …l can use the Generic ASIO Window drivers with the X99-A onboard sound chipset (Realtek) and l get no dropouts!!! I can even have a 3D program Cinema 4D running in the background and still no dropouts and this is even after a clean install of WIN 10 Pro to make sure there was no residual crap that can accumulate over time that the Steinberg drivers might be sensitive to.

I also had the same project running when doing the A&B so its not just bad luck.
So my constructive criticism here is l would not recommend purchasing a Steinberg audio interface…at least the entry level ones, unless the higher end interfaces suffer the same sort of implementation issues.
As it seems quality control before releasing these into the public domain is very questionable, and there is no excuse for this because as per Blackmagic Design do who make digital cinema cameras they tell you what memory card is compatible, be it CFast or SSD etc. will be able to record the formats of the camera you own and they consistently update this.

If there was an issue with the units working with certain motherboards or hardware etc. then tell us from the word go…The fact that a consumer can pay almost the same amount of money for a dedicated audio hardware as per a MB of a workstation and the end result is the audio hardware is not designed fit for purpose is…

Hello there. Same issues, obviously.

Ryzen 5800x
RTX 3070
ASUS TUF X570 Motherboard

I tried

1. connecting to a pci-e usb thing (although it’s usd 3.0)
  2. various drivers, old and new
  3. playing with bios settings

So far no luck.

A question: has anyone tried (or has access to try) UR22C? It’s supposed to be USB3.0 and I wonder if it will eliminate possible issues.

I have the same problem. Specifically, I have “soft” dropouts of about 1 second during normal audio playback (any browser or video / audio player).

What does Steinberg or Yamaha say about the matter? It seems to affect a lot of people after all, that should have got through to them.

Terrible to see so many having problems:(
There was one instance where the xhci mode had to be set to manual, worth a shot trying maybe? @Chadman2672 @ikbr @Ingo-H

So, when I read the descriptions here, in almost all cases there are no problems with any other USB audio interfaces. That’s true for me too. In the Installation Guide I don’t find any information on any special BIOS or OS settings. And again, we are not talking about low-latency operation, but about the perfectly normal audio playback from a browser or any audio or video player!

And when so many people have these problems, the manufacturer has to take care of it! Therefore the question again: what does Yahama or Steinberg say about it?

2 Likes

NEW!!
AMD Suggests Possible Fixes for Ryzen USB Connectivity Issues

if you use AMD system
please note that

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
until now I have not had the problem with my AG03. The problem now appears with me since installing the Windows update KB4589212. A temporary solution for me is to uninstall the windows update. But it is a mandatory update, which means I can only pause the update for 30 days. CPU Turbo Mode is turned off. Tried USB port on motherboard and on separate USB card. Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042, Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 48 GB memory :frowning:

Since Steinberg obviously does not give any opinion or has no suggestions for a solution, I bought another USB audio interface. This runs without any problems. It’s that simple. Very disappointing!

2 Likes

weird how this thread is so popular but seems to be ignored… Happening on ryzen 7 3800xt with asus prime b350… Everything is up to date. Ive tried all the bios fixes and version downgrades regards the usb driver. No matter what i do there’s always audio dropouts and sometimes complete driver crashes and need to restart the interface. The best fix i found is to use my my motherboard audio as an output and only use the interface for its inputs. Obviously this defeats the purpose as now i cant use my studio monitors and my mic(input) will still cut off randomly. The only upside is the my audio doesn’t stutter and make me want to use the ur44 as a frisbee. I thought i liked steinberg, but after seeing how ignored this issue had been clearly they don’t really do much about bug fixes. There’s a reason this thread had 13k views + . About to grab myself a Native Instruments product which by experience, never failed me. Looks like this interface might just end up in the second hand market frustrating someone else… :eyes: GL guys!

2 Likes

This fixed it for me:
(AMD Ryzen 3700, 16GB, B550 Chipsatz, NVidia 1050ti)

In contrast to that, we also had reports on various MIDI and audio issues (timing, drop-outs) on AMD systems with the audio/MIDI interface connected to a USB 2.0 port. Switching to one of the available USB 3.0 ports resolved the issue. Note however, that this is highly dependent on the interface, its drivers and the mainboard used.

Referring to you dual boot report:
Could it be an interrupt IRQ problem then? Once i stumbled upon the Message Signal based Interrupt, MSI mode utility when chasing for DPC latency issues. For me it didn’t make a change, but perhaps…
Example: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=14997703&postcount=220&s=4ef4ac70885f5f9555c2e3fba2570746

Hi - I wanted to respond to your other post - but there is no “reply” option - so I thought I would let you know that I solved the issue with the 5V DC Power adapter. In the manual it does say that the iphone has to be plugged in at the same time - so both power sources have to be engaged…Turn on your iphone or ipad - plug it into the USB 2.0 AND plug in the 5V DC adapter - hope that helps! :slight_smile:

I had been looking for this since I purchased this 3 years ago. Now I can die in Peace. :relaxed:

Having exactly the same issue. I have timed and the dropouts happen every 15 minutes.

I have tried disabling turbo boost (including using throttlestop) but it wasn’t solved. I am also afraid dropouts might have been behind the reason why my brand new studio monitors were faulty after only one day. (PreSonus Eris 3.5)

It’s so frustrating. I can’t hold recording and mixing sessions like this. I bought a Steinberg product because I expected it would be of good quality. Yamaha needs to address this issue and tell us how it should be fixed, otherwise I will change my interface and never buy other Yamaha devices again.

Dell G5, 16GB Ram, Intel Core i7 9th gen

I recently updated my PC from intel i5 6500/GIGABYTE Z370 HD3 to intel i7 10700F/Gigabyte B460M DS3H (rev. 1.0). Graphic card was Nvidia GTX 960 throughout. After updating my PC, I got the above error. Disabled Turbo Boost/Hyper threading, EIST etc. But nothing seems to be working! Even plugged in a PCIe to USB 3.0 card with a VIA chipset but still the issue is unresolved. Earlier I was using the soundcard on USB 3.0 port. I had zero issues. Now even USB 2.0 ports doesn’t seem to work.

Maybe it’s something related to the motherboard chipset? or BIOS settings? Tried to use a Focusrite soundcard. It gave out audio crackles.

So I gave a final attempt to make my UR22 mkII work. I didn’t touch any other setting. All I did was updating the bios in my Gigabyte B460M DS3H (rev. 1.0) and changed the USB settings in bios to following. It’s working properly now!

Legacy USB Support > Auto
XHCI hand-off > Disabled
USB Mass Storage Driver Support > Enabled

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with you, Sir. Now I’m trying your solution and hope it solves my problem as well. UR12 user here.:crossed_fingers:t4: