Very Avid of Steinberg

Say what you want, there used to be a time there were some very smart people around here that went out of their way to help fellow users. Nowadays, there are just wannabes that have nothing better to do but put everyone down and call themselves pros when they know not the meaning of the word. When called on it, they sink to new levels of childish responses. They think they’re funny, but they’re just legends in their own minds. They have to put down others to feel better about their sorry existence. Sad, really. I feel bad for them. You know who you are, hiding behind your screen feeling self-impotent. (Not a spelling error :wink: )

Nope :mrgreen: . Just for the bad cat that tends to hijack every thread with useless comments.

1. I think if you have to cry about every upgrade cost your on the wrong DAW, simple, switch to Reaper or something cheaper
  2. IF you need a dongleless DAW your on the wrong DAW. I use Reaper for live
  3. If you think Steinberg gives a rats about what you think they should do with their DAW, you should switch since your obviously delusional. I agree on basic functions and let the toys go as well. It aint my DAW though.
  4. AVID sucks and continues to decline. You can always go use the INDUSTRY STANDARD, LOL, sold mine too. They have great upgrade pricing :unamused:
  5. NO ONE forces you to do the half point upgrades with Cubase nor any upgrade for that matter. I always do though and in the end it costs the same as if I skipped it and went to the next number version, cost is the same THIS:

"But let’s correct a couple things here. IF you paid for the 6.5 update, you pay $50 less for the 7.0 update than those updating from 6.0.

PIck your poison and run with it. Otherwise your just whining and serve no purpose. :unamused:

There still are, of course. For example,

You also have a computer and if you use Cubase you have somewhat of a functional brain. Use your resources and abilities to make money. I graduated college in Dec. 2008. I did not get a job until May of 2010, but I still managed to make money like I worked a job. How?..

I used my brains and my abilities. I learned to build websites while in college, I also sold custom t-shirts, also recorded mixtapes for artists (rap genre), I also made a beat here and there, sometimes I cut peoples yards around the neighborhood or did handywork here or there, I did contract work for production crews at local events for ESPN or the Houston Rockets. From 2009 to mid 2010 I did not go clock in to a job, but I could still afford everything I needed and some of the things I wanted. Saying I don’t have a job is no excuse.

Make a flyer, put it on craigslist to record music for whatever genre you enjoy or even don’t. Use the experience to brush up on your skills and make some money at the same time. Even if you charge $50 a song or $10 an hour. It’s better than no money and you are building your skills at the same time instead of sitting on your butt.

Rant over, point being, unemployment is no excuse. On the other hand, sorry you are unemployed. Times are hard and I do feel for you. Now use your brain to make the impossible possible. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :smiley:

This grace period for long time users who for what ever reason have just upgraded from 6 to 6.5 is hardly fair anyway. Sure for recent first time users that just bought 6.5 let them have the first paid upgrade for free then they can pay for upgrades like everyone else. I like most paid for 6.5 the moment it became available and it was worth every cent and like most others I’m licking my lips waiting to buy 7 on the 5th. The fact that people who used 6 for most of the time 6.5 has been available are now going to get 7 for $150 cheaper because they recently upgraded hardly seems fair! Sb should change this policy, maybe they should offer a nice discount for people who order and pay up front when the upgrade is first announced or a smaller discount for people who buy it as soon as it becomes available? But it’s good that sb have at least taken the $50 off for us who did upgrade…

I have posted my thoughts regarding the upgrade process in another thread but I would like to add a little here.

The remark about low post counts… I have a pretty low post count. Most of my posts were in the old forum. Anything I’ve had questions about have all been covered. No need to ask the same questions over and over. I really don’t need to post here much becuase when I have a problem, I open the manual and read it. So, most of my posts are likely to be my gripes with Steinberg and it’s programs.

What I can’t figure out is why Steinberg doesn’t offer some sort of descending upgrade cost for loyal users of cubase. Let’s say. Your first upgrage $149, second, $125, third $100 and anything beyond… $50 ? I think if I added it all up, I’ve given Steinberg more of my money than I’ve given Microsoft.

Interesting. I never gave either any money at all. They offered a commodity and I traded some of my cash for it. It was worth every penny - every time. Declined only once by skipping Cubase 4, and noone at Steinberg forced me to reconsider.

I suspect its so they can earn enough money to pay their staff and invest in new versions.

I would have thought at a pure guess that 98%+ of people that get v7 in the first month of release will be current Cubase users, and that will always be the case.

I first discovered pro 12, then upgraded to pro 24, then first version of Cubase.

Your way would mean I never had to pay more than £50 for any newer version. Sure the ideas nice as far as my pocket is concerned, but I imagine if they had done that, steinberg wouldn’t exist today.

Actually comparing Steinberg to Avid is a cheap shot.

Since the day Avid / Digidesign came out with audio systems they’ve offered hardware upgrades when new interfaces / cards / controllers have been released. No other audio manufacturer does this. Period.

Houston to Nuage? Not a chance - you’re stuck with that anchor forever. As you will have been with every other bit of hardware Steinberg ever released - they’re supported for no more than a year or so before they disappear off the face of the planet. Midex?

Now a few people may have sour grapes with Avid over the price of the PT10 upgrade (it was outrageous) but no more so than the price of Nuendo / NTK fiasco / upgrade prices.

Almost… It is to earn a profit, as with any business. The staff and research is a means to that end.
J.L.

Easy answer… They don’t need to in order to sell their product. If sales were low, maybe they would have to resort to this strategy as some other, inferior products do.
HTH
J.L.

Please elaborate.

No you couldn’t. You’re too busy trying to connect two computers via MIDI a la Thomas Dolby in the 80’s. :stuck_out_tongue: