Halion 4.5 crashes on exit

Hi,

I found an error that was already reported here, but with an interesting twist:

I use Halion 4.5.1 and Cubase 6.0.5 in 64 bit mode.

After using Halion in stand alone mode or as a VST within Cubase I regularly got a Runtime Error (R6025) with the error posted below when exiting Halion (stand alone) or exiting Cubase.

After some investigation I found out that it only happens when I selected one of the instruments that start with “4.0”, but not with any of the other instruments.

I logged a service request with Cubase already since I suspect it is a product bug, but wanted to confirm with the forum whether you have the same experiences and/or a possible solution for that

Regards, Daniel.

Faulting application name: Cubase6.exe, version: 6.0.5.357, time stamp: 0x4e8f28ad
Faulting module name: HALion 4.vst3, version: 4.0.4.104, time stamp: 0x4eaaa65e
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0000000000c3436c
Faulting process id: 0x15b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccd4f8c1db6790
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg\HALion 4\HALion 4.vst3
Report Id: ea737e19-40ec-11e1-83ad-e0cb4e2515c2

Hello Daniel,

This is really interesting information! I will definitely try this. Did you notice if this also happens with the “The 4th Dimension” patch? I think it is only included in Halion 4. Or does it specifically have to start with 4.0?

Thanks for the heads up, I already have a support ticket with Steinberg support about this and maybe your finding will help the situation a lot! :wink:

Hi,

here the same problem …
:confused:
also in the forum:

and the german forum:

Guys, I would suggest that you contacted Steinberg support about this. I have already done. The more reports the easier for them to figure out the problem.

Hi Bach,

This have I done already, however no response received from Steinberg … :imp:

Well spotted! Confirmed here with H4.5.1 x64 standalone, “pure virtual function call”:

Faulting application name: HALion 4.exe, version: 2.2.1.53, time stamp: 0x4eaa89b2
Faulting module name: HALion 4.vst3, version: 4.0.4.104, time stamp: 0x4eaaa65e
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0000000000c3436c
Faulting process id: 0x9d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccd7bb8fc6714c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\HALion 4\HALion 4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg\HALion 4\HALion 4.vst3

I opened a ticket with Yamaha Australia (who do the Steinberg support here in Down Under). They were able to confirm the error and transferred the ticket to Steinberg in Germany.

I would agree that it is a good idea to open a separate ticket if you can reproduce the error.

Will keep you posted on feedback from Steinberg or Yamaha Australia.

Daniel.

Thanks!
I have an open ticket and waiting for reply in support UK. I will keep them posted of our findings.
Right now the support seems non responsive.

I’ve also noticed a small warning triangle next to the output selector when any of the “4.0 …” presets are loaded:

That warning icon means an output is selected that isn’t available or currently set active.

Yes, except this isn’t the case in actual fact … and it occurs with all “4.0 …” presets. Even if you clear the preset and load another one (where the warning triangle does not appear) before exiting the application, as soon as you exit you get the runtime error. It is exactly as Daniel has described.

Very interesting findings everyone.

Let’s see how support will deal with this. I hope that a fix will be released as soon as possible

I’m sorry about that, but there is indeed a problem with the Surround Panner remaining in memory even though it should unload. This leeds to the crash decribed above on PC in a 64bit environment. The 32bit version of HALion 4 is not affected.
Please accept my apologies! We will of course fix this annoying problem with the upcoming free HALion update.

best regards
Gerrit

Thanks for the update, Gerrit. That’s good news indeed.

Looking forward to the product update.

Daniel.

That’s good news indeed. I am looking forward for the update as I need to use Halion 4 in a project coming up.

Gerrit,

can you comment on the timeframe when the product update will be released ?

Daniel.

Release dates are concerns of sales and marketing and unfortunately outside my sphere of knowledge. Sorry!

best regards
Gerrit

What about the fix for this one?

It’s been a while and I cannot use Halion 4 at all. I am surprised that this isn’t fixed already, it is a very important bug.

Is there any progress on this? This problem exists for almost three months.
Word about it is spread through the net, it is not a wise move to let a bug like this exist.
I am planning to create a custom library with Halion 4 but right now it is unusable.
I would appreciate an update on what is the progress with this.

Oh please! The problem only exists if you use the surround panner in the 64-bit version and doesn’t even require a workaround, so nothing there to stop you creating libraries. Less dramatics please! :unamused: