Sound Issue

Hello, I have an issue. I do not have an ASIO sound card in my laptop. The ASIO Generic Lower Latency Driver did not work with my Bluetooth headphones. I found on the forums a link to https://www.asio4all.org/ that driver worked with my Bluetooth headphones. However, I cannot play sound from web browsers and other applications. It is a common issue found here. But the normal solution doesn’t work for me. I read a lot of other threads with sound issues and didn’t find a solution so sorry if one of the many other threads involving sound has one.

It may speed a solution to your problem if you download a Dorico Diagnostic Report.

Won’t let me upload it because it is 7mb and needs to be less than 4mb.

Put it in a dropbox-style cloud folder and post the link.

Here you are

Thanks for the data, @Strauss . First thing I would do is, go to Edit > Device Setup and increase the sample rate. You are currently set to 11kHz. I’m not sure, but I think that is too low for our audio engine. Something around 44.1 kHz is best, though I don’t know if your BT-headset can handle that.
I also don’t understand, why the Generic Low Latency driver would not work with you, but maybe it is also the sample rate thing. And I saw that you also have the Realtek ASIO driver; doesn’t that one work either?

I changed the sample rate. The sound works no matter what I set that to in Dorico. I just want to be able to play audio through other apps like my web browser while using Dorico. The Realtek ASIO driver doesn’t let me play sound through my computer as well as my earbuds, basically no sound at all. The ASIO Generic Lower Latency Driver WILL let me play audio through my computer speakers but will not let me play through my Bluetooth headphones. attached is a screenshot of the Realtek driver menu. I cannot change the Stereo Output dropdown to anything except that.

Okay, well, sometimes it is a bit tricky because not only the driver settings in Dorico are part of the equation, but also settings in Windows. So I have here currently a JBL BT-headset running with the Generic Low Latency Driver and sound comes simultaneously from Dorico and YouTube.
But for this to happen, not only in the Generic Low Latency Driver panel I had to switch off the option for allowing exclusive access to the device, but there is a similar option on Windows as well.
On your taskbar is the little speaker icon, right-click on it and choose Sound Settings, then your BT-headset and click on Properties, a little dialog opens where you click on the Advanced tab. In there untick the option ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’. Restart your applications and it should work.

1 Like

And here for future reference once more in greater detail with screenshots from Windows 11:

2 Likes

There are a few programs that do audio routing on windows.
VoiceMeeter VB-Audio VoiceMeeter
I use ODeus ASIO Link Pro Give Academy - ODeus ASIO Link Pro Patcher which is complex but very good after the learning curve. This is now free as the author has passed away and the family have given permission to patch the simple protection. Voicemeeter is free to use, pay what you want, while the versions with more channels, Banana and Potato, are donationware to get the licence.
There is also Source-Nexus, Synchronous Audio Router, Virtual Audio Cable, Virtual Audio Stream, and Dante. I know little of these other than they are alternatives.

1 Like

I am guessing what MagePrometheus suggested is a valid option but if possible, I would like to get it without additional Audio-Routing software. I did what you said, restarted my computer. Now my headphones don’t work with the ASIO4ALL driver. On top of that, they still don’t show up on the generic low-latency driver. Here are a bunch of screenshots for visual aid.

Asio4All driver issue

Properties tab

Generic Low Latency Driver

I really appreciate all the help.

The sample rates shown on your Headphone properties and your Low Latency driver do not match. 44100 vs. 48000

1 Like

The sample rate is not something it allows me to change on my headphones or the low latency driver.

Well, I did some more digging in the Forums and I found an audio driver that works for my headphones as well as other applications. Here is the link to the post regarding the driver I used. Thank you to everyone who gave their input and advice.

Hi @Strauss , I’m glad to hear you have it running now the expected way. I’m sure with some more fiddling around the same result can be achieved with the Generic Low Latency driver as well, but FlexASIO is equally well suited, so simply use that one.

1 Like

Good news. I use routing tools as I have complex requirements. Audient iD14, Reaper, Dorico, OBS, Pure Data, VCV Rack, Firefox, and Mics.

1 Like

Yeah. I really appreciate you sharing the routing tools you use! I just ended up using a simple solution for myself.