More votes for Voting System, please

Hello there,
the voting system for feature requests in this forum is not balanced. You only have 4 (?) votes and won’t “waste” them for smaller feature requests, which would still have a big impact on everyday workflow, but instead you are saving them for the bigger ones obviously (like “gapless audio” i.e.).

Like this, probably easy to implement smaller features suggested by the community never make it into the closer selection.

Give us at least more votes, or please change it, so these smaller FRs get their attention as well.

2 Likes

I agree, i had my votes spent fairly quickly, but every now and then I stumble upon other ones where I think “this would make sense”, and I’d like to show my support.
Now I am aware that having dozens of votes or unlimited ones isn’t helpful… maybe you could “earn” more votes if you are an active and helpful member of the community, a somewhat merit based system?

3 Likes

I absolutely agree, this would also help to encourage more people to be more active on the forum, be more communicative and to share their thoughts and ideas, as the most users don’t even login here if they don’t have an issue.

There needs to be a solution, as smaller but still important changes which make sense are mostly left out.

To be clear, what I said in our PMs was that you can request that users in general get more votes to use. Not that you as an individual can request more votes for yourself. This would be forum-wide.

Oh sorry, then I got you wrong, removed my edits.

I have edited the title to reflect this.

Much like @fese , I’ve also been hesitant to vote, because of FOMO, that a more important request might show up after I’ve spent all my votes.

And the idea of rewarding likes and solutions sounds interesting if it can be somewhat automated with moderator override (in cases of someone gaming the process).

Could/should this be tagged as a feature request, so we can vote for it? :laughing:

1 Like

Have you reviewed your votes? https://forums.steinberg.net/u/nico5/activity/votes

IPS is not coming back, for example.

Heh! no.

Yes I did - are you implying I can “unvote” a lower priority item and replace it later with something I deem more important?

@Nico5 Yes, even more than implying, I’m saying. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @steve !

In that case, I will give up on the IPS :crazy_face:

But I still think it was mega cool! :sunglasses:

@Nico5 IPS? Whats that? :thinking:

Yes but here we are again.

If you take a look at my votes i.e.:

These are mostly “bigger” topics, but one, which is the hitpoint thing, and I use this quantization daily. There is no vote I can free up, as they are all equally important (to me). 4 of these have to do with the stability and efficiency of the program and only two of them are new features.

There are just no votes left for all the smaller inconsistencies and suggestions. @Louis_R created a WIKI for that purpose (thank you Louis), where you can see lots of handy FRs (and also Issues), which would really save lots of time when implemented. But there are just not enough votes to give them all their attention:

[WIKI] [Cubase 12.0.30] Issues and Feature Requests – user editable - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Apart from that, there is another list I put together of smaller FRs and inconsistencies here:

Summary

Instrument Tracks & VST Tracks with mutiple outputs share track name with channel 1 output - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Divided track list: adjust height automatically to the tracks it contains - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Plugin scan path settings reset themselves after reopening Cubase - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Talkback always disabled after Cubase restart - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

CTRL+SELECT not working for arranger events - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Selecting events/tracks in project window does not unselect events/tracks in divided track list - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Allow dragging files from Pool Trash into track - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Export Settings saved with Project File - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Link Variaudio editor to project (like it is possible with the midi editor) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Set output of instrument channel - too complicated, not intuitive - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Switching mono to stereo - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Feaure Request-> Please consider to add routing to the track preset - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Export tracks as they are (mono/stereo) - additional export audio mode - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Option to move locked tracks+events when “Insert Silence” or copying, pasting, cutting ranges - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

When Recording: Turn on/off cycle loop and editing locator range not possible - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Let us cut the notes in variaudio where we want - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

So my question: Why not giving everyone unlimited votes (max. one vote per FR obviously)?
If someone thinks a certain FR is a good idea, why can’t he give it a vote, without having to delete one of his other votes somewhere else?

1 Like

Because the votes are not a steinberg forum thing, but a discourse thing. Their use is a bit different.

For example: a thread is created “I’m buying from Thomann tommorow. Anyone want a set of .10-.46?” Anyone who wants a set votes. I place my order, I close the thread, all votes are returned to the voters, so that they can use them again.

With feature requests, it’s difficult to do. We’d either have to have a steinberg employ shoot down requests immediately and close the threads, or indirectly “confirm” that the requests are actively being worked upon, which I think is not how Steinberg works, they usually like to keep new features undisclosed until release.

Soooo, we’re in this situation where we have all our votes placed, and hope a feature will be implemented, and the relevant topic closed, so that we get our vote back.

1 Like

Or they just give us 9999999 votes and we’re all good and can vote for threads we think are important.

3 Likes

That is actually something that could be very much improved upon by Steinberg, communication-wise… There is rarely ever any official feedback on feature requests. Yes, we heard that they are all collected by Steinberg in their internal FR list, but it would be nice just to get a little bit of feedback. I am aware that no one can or will commit to anything like “this will be included in 12.5”, but just some little acknowledgement would be cool, like “Yes, we’ve seen this FR, but it is not that easy to implement for the following reasons: …” or whatever. Even something like “Sorry, at the moment we don’t think that this fits our vision for Cubase, but let’s see how many people request it” is better than nothing.
There are some long running feature request with dozens of votes that never got implemented.
I think transparency in communication is very important in these days, and a lot of people can be very understanding if they get a proper explanation or just some feedback.

4 Likes

Is there any way of viewing the most voted requests? Be curious to see what kind of votes the top ones have… And indeed what they are.

Edit: Oh, I think it could be this actually:
https://forums.steinberg.net/search?expanded=true&q=tags%3Afeature-request%20order%3Avotes

It’s kinda funny that the 8th one in that list is Matthias telling people how to use votes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Tj99 , @fese I agree on every point.

We could, as a community, establish a norm where when folks initially create a Feature Request they include a Poll that measures the support for the idea.

• Yikes what a grand idea!
  • Sounds complicated, remember we’re just musicians.
  • Anyone see the drummer lately?

0 voters

(POLL FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY)

3 Likes

I gave up on the voting system, as it seems to be a joke on users.

There shouldn’t be any limit on votes, that’s all.

What mockery is this, that on a forum that discusses multiple professional software apps, each very complex, a user has just a few votes? What is the logic of this?
One can easily own more Steinberg products than available votes. Where does this leave the user? One vote for Nuendo, one for Groove agent, one for Halion, one for SpectraLayers etc…

2 Likes