Closing Dorico project causing program shutdown improperly; audio on left only

Then we need to see the crash dumps. Please start Dorico and then choose from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the correspdoning zip file here. Thanks

After Dorico crashed twice I finally could open Device Control Panel. I guess it is a bug. Let me know how to give you the dump if you are interested.

I need to configure windows sound. I am using Windows 11 BTW.
In Sound Settings - Speakers I selected audio format 16bit, 44100Hz. Turned audio enhancement off.

Back to Dorico Device Setup, Stereo Out dropdown is empty! After tried to select different items in the ASIO driver dropdown, Stereo Out dropdown suddenly has Speakers item. I think this is a bug. Now I have sound from both channels.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.1 MB)

Thanks for the data. The contained dump files show an already known issue in regards to the MediaBayService. You have HALion Sonic 7 installed which uses a new shared MediaBay component. There is an own MediaBayService process running which HALion Sonic connects to using some client software which somehow cannot connect to the server process. We are still evaluating and trying to find the cause of it.
In the meantime, as a workaround, you could uninstall HALion Sonic 7 and revert back to 3.5 (and change back to 7 once we solved the issue.)
We are sorry for the inconvenience and apologize.

1 Like

Hi @Ulf can you call me on Teams? I see two possible workarounds that may work without uninstalling HS7, but I would like to check back with you before posting them.

Hi @Xianmin_xkwauk,

I checked back with the @Ulf and @dspreadbury and here is a first workaround to keep HALion 7 or HALion Sonic 7 installed (Windows only, I can provide a Mac version on request):

To prevent any SteinbergMediaBayServer restart problems, here is a (zipped) bat file that starts it once and keeps it running. It needs to be unzipped and executed once after system start, before starting Dorico (you can put it anywhere you like, e.g. on your desktop and execute it from there):

Start And Keep Server Running.zip (293 Bytes)

To get crashlogs of the SteinbergMediaBayServer if it should crash, please download, unzip and add this registry settings by double-clicking the containing reg file:

SteinbergMediaServer_enable_CrashLogs.zip (543 Bytes)

Background: I forgot to setup a crash log reporter in the SteinbergMediaBayServer, so this is a workaround I explained here: Dorico freezes, then won't start up until after reboot - #24 by MeesterP

1 Like

Thank you. I will try.

Hi @Ulf : When will this bug be fixed, so that we can use Halion Sonic 7 without any „workarounds“?

Unfortunately the .zip-file for the diagnostic report is bigger than 4MB… Therefore it should be possible to upload bigger files than 4MB in this forum platform…

Joerg thinks that he already has a fix for that problem. It will now first go beta and then come out as soon as possible.

I just figure, since there is no problem with the version of HALion SE released with Dorico 4, I’ll just sail on using that until Dorico 5 comes out, at which time I am confident that HALion SE 7 will be smoothly integrated into the package.

I’m also having big problems with last Dorico SE update, crashing after closing a project,
(quite everytime if I open 2 project and close one of them)
I can’t go back to free old Halion (not authorized?),
other problem: select all, copy and then paste in another project, chord symbols disappear (if I try to put a new one I see the copied one exists but it’s invisible in score)

See this thread for a workaround for this problem:

Windows 10 here…

Running the bat file seems to have improved my situation immensely.

Many thanks for figuring this out and sharing!

Before running this:
I could start with a fresh boot and run any single project in Dorico with Sonic/HALion 7. Even stuff saved way back with version 1 of Dorico that used Sonic 2 initially was not a problem. Plugin states/parameters/etc…all perfectly preserved as they’d last been under Sonic 2/3/HALion 5/6…whatever.

Upon opening a ‘second project’, if I allowed the new project to take over the playback engine, I’d get hangs and crashes. It could even happen in projects that weren’t using any obvious form of HALion (perhaps the metronome track still uses some hidden form of HALion?).

If I attempted to close that initial project, Dorico could freeze (not sure if it ‘crashed’ or just got hung up in a state of waiting for a hand-shake that never came?). Killing off Dorico by the Task Manager wasn’t enough. Killing the Steinberg VST engine this way would usually leave the ASIO drivers and all in a state that nothing could use them (reliably) again without rebooting the system. At first I thought using ASIO Link Pro could be the problem so I removed that and still had problems with direct connections to hardware with native ASIO drivers (M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI, and Tascam 1200 USB interfaces).

Since running this bat file…I’ve had a few smooth Dorico sessions with several projects open under each of my audio interfaces…as well as when using ASIO Link Pro. The time required for Dorico to ‘swap out’ the sounds involved is reasonable (and I have some pretty big [tempting fate for trouble] templates, using both VST3/VST2 instrument and effect plugins from multiple vendors in some projects).

Is there a similar bat file that stops the media bay server, or is it something small and sleepy enough when not being used that we’d might as well just leave it running all the time?

You did not have crashes, just hangs, because the audio engine was hanging waiting for the MediaBayServer process, and Dorico waiting for the audio engine. So basically everything was dead locked.

I don’t know how intense the MediaBayServer is, but you can also kill it via Task Manager (or Process Explorer).

1 Like

Hi @Joerg ,

I just ran into exactly this problem, Dorico was not responding anymore, it didn’t show the Hub again and so on. After killing the MediaBayServer and start it via your command line it works fine again.

So from what I see here I think this MediaBayServer is a perfect candidate for a Windows service, because a manual restart is pretty cumbersome and can lead to the problems we see here.

Would the service be an option?

I am running mac here and this still won´t work. I get no sound from Halsonic 7. Is there a way to get back to HALsonic LE3 while waiting for Steinberg to sort out this problem? /Frans Mossberg

It would be nice to know how revert back to 3.5.

@fransmossberg , you can download the HALion Sonic SE 3.5 installer from here.

I think there is no uninstaller for HALion Sonic 7, so you have to delete it manually from /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components

Thanks!

By the way, the path you mentioned doesnt work since there are just the old HALion Sonic SE in the “components” folder.